Any advice gratefully received - trying to sell my property

Sorry to have added to the thread-drift @Anna_Sharratt

Repeating what some have said -

It does pay to drastically declutter and then “dress” each room very carefully.

Try to give the kitchen a “wow” factor - so that folk love it on sight.

1 Like

And totally non-ecological too when we have a washing line. Just another piece of equipment to breakdown… we don’t have one ourselves either.

And why should we pay for our clients to take home clean underwear! If they want to do loads of washing while they are here then fine, that’s part of the deal. But not last minute washing just for convenience.

2 Likes

I agree Jane, I bought my T. dryer with me and I can count on one hand :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:t3:the number of times I’ve used it in all these years.
Definitely not an essential for me, especially as mine is now ancient (a real energy guzzler.)
Nowadays they are made a lot more eco friendly, but I shan’t be getting one.

1 Like

My grandson loves appliances and is always asking if we can put clothes in the tumble dryer. Obviously the answer is no but he still asks the next time.

We inherited one as part of a ‘package’ arrangement of white goods when we bought our house, but we’ve hardly ever used it either. We have lines set up in our boiler room and things dry in about 20
mins when the monster is awake, otherwise things dry on the line in the garden.

1 Like

S‌NAP - The Boiler room in the winter, sometimes the radiators, otherwise the garden washing line. Not only to economise but better for the environment too. oui

1 Like

Goodness how virtuous you all are, I couldn’t have done without my drying machine, with five children at home. I have never ironed anything, that might make up for it.
My cenral-heating boiler (furnace?) and waterheaters don’t heat the boiler-room or where they are, they are terrifically insulated.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t be without my tumble dryer when it’s cold and wet, had one for over 40 years. Once hired a gite with a washing machine and outside clothes line, when it rained (nearly every day) there was nowhere inside to dry washing, not even a clothes airer, at £900 PW to rent I thought that was pretty poor but then they didn’t provide cushions for hard plastic sun loungers for the rare sunny days either.

1 Like

We are lucky enough to have space, so can hang out days and days worth of damp stuff. Does mean that if you encounter me on the 8th rainy day I will be dressed in extremely old and tatty clothing tho’…

Thank goodness Peter, it means we are not the only ones’ who have a washing line in the garden. I know it’s really old fashioned but we love the way it makes our washing smell providing the vignerons aren’t spraying the vine with sulphate or the farmers cutting their maize crops. Otherwise it’s super.

In winter we have, wait for it, electric radiators before which we dry the laundry - what a wonderful aid they are. We also have, what we call, a tumble dryer, l’m not sure if you can still get them but we find it terribly useful.

How this all helps the OP God only knows but what fun it is​:blush::blush::blush:

1 Like

My 90+ lady over-the-hedge neighbour always hangs a line of shapeless but dazzling white garments which, though I only dare mention the unmentionable to trusted ears, must be undergarments of very ample dimensions.

They hang at the bottom of her garden abrités by huge trees to the north, our poulailler to the west over hung with plum trees, and a giant cupressus hedge to the east. Not that she cares a sod, I think :joy:.

@Dan_Wood I’m pressed by your multi-setting self-cleaning Irony too… :smiley:

PS It’s that time of year when we can expect banner headlines like Hedgehog Holocaust Horror - Tiny Spineys in Countryside Carnage Cover-up :sob:

I have space but have also always had a full time job as well as the 5 midgets, so faffing about hanging things and having stuff smell of damp is not an option. I don’t think people realise just how much washing having lots of children generates! Clothing, sports stuff, table linen, sheets,towels quilts etc… it is neverending.
I hang stuff outside to dry but only at certain times of year because of birdshit and weather.

I could not survive long without machines to wash and dry clothes and dishes. My grandparents had a laundry house behind the house where our gardiens lived and everything was dealt with there, it was so much more labour intensive in those days.

It certainly was. Us 4 kids + parents = washday on a Monday, regardless.

Mind you, Mum did have a huge bendix washer, which walked across the room if it was badly loaded… excess moisture was got rid of with the old-fashioned mangle…

But everything had to hang outside or else from an airer in the kitchen (hauled to the ceiling) where the warmth from the cooker would help dry the stuff.

I do. I’m one of 6 and my mum, however hard up we were, always bought the latest appliance in the hope of saving time and making life easier. The worst thing she bought was a potato peeler. The potatoes were put in something resembling a large pot with a lid. The inside was rough and as you wound the handle the potatoes went round and the peel was removed. Except of course it wasn’t not effectively and the appliance took a lot of cleaning.
Mum, too worked full time. Every Sunday we had to get our own school uniform ready for the week and heaven help you if you forgot to do it.

With various step children and the like we often had a house full too. I guess my standards were pretty low! Apart from underwear things had to be dirty to be washed…

And I grew up in a house with 6 children and 3 grandparents (although perhaps that’s why I’m now so lackadaisical :slightly_smiling_face:)

My children managed to cover themselves in mud/blood/paint/cooking ingredients/ink/grass-stains/pond-slime/engine grease etc one way or another, every day. The washing machine was on 2x a day most days. They have one day a week each for towels and bedclothes, clothes etc are on an ad hoc basis.
My standards aren’t by any means high!
I don’t really have much of an idea about housekeeping etc because I was sent away to school at 4.

Just one further thought: your property has been on the market since 2014 ( I appreciate that you have subsequently reduced the price significantly ), however the reality is that the reason for selling is to return to the UK. Over the time that your property has been advertised, I’m guessing that the £ has dropped by a third, so in terms of the utility that you can derive from the proceeds of the sale back in the UK, I would suggest that you could still drop the price and maintain comparable buying power to that achievable in 2014.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum…

Please amend your Registration to give your full name as per our terms and conditions.

If you are not sure how to do that… simply put your full name here on this thread and I will amend it for you…

cheers

That’s an excellent point.