Any cheerful news today? (Nothing negative please! 🙂)

And your devotion may well be rewarded! This is what we now get in our hand weeded drive :grinning:

4 Likes

Gosh, what’s that, at the risk of sounding stupid :grin:

A delicious morel mushroom :heart_eyes: I get them very occasionally on my terrace.

5 Likes

Yesterday’s Cheerful News
 received a large bunch of sweet-smelling muguet plus some freshly-laid eggs 
 :+1: :+1:
(just in time for the Spanish Orange cake I was thinking of baking, which takes 6 eggs
 hurrah)

3 Likes

We made it home safely on Sunday, and have a much better idea of what needs doing and in which order. Really happy to have made friends with both locals and other 2nd homers in the village.

Back to work today, but now we can start turning plans into action.

5 Likes

Just trained the vines along a wall and great to see the new grapes starting to form :blush:

7 Likes

My vine here in Oxfordshire has just started to produce leaves in the last week, the buds being tightly shut during the frosts a couple of weeks back. It did produce just a few small grapes last year, but only a single bunch IIRC.

1 Like

Finally, been to the local market today and came away with plants to grow tomatoes, courgettes, aubergines, different varieties of lettuce, cucumbers and butternut squash - will get planted this afternoon, then let the party commence :partying_face: very much looking forward to seeing how all this develops - feel a bit like Tom and Barbara from ‘The Good Life’ :rofl:

5 Likes

Great easy to grow selection!

I think I can almost taste those freshly grown vegetables now :grin: yes, the selection was based on the easiest to grow alternatives, until the expertise grows :joy: certainly love learning by doing :+1:

2 Likes

I only planted my fruit trees last year, but today noticed what look like the start of cherries on the cherry tree! In fact I shouldn’t really be calling them trees, more saplings. So if these are the start of cherries, I’m absolutely thrilled :grin:

And just had to post this as the colour was so rich and marvellous

6 Likes

Keep an eye on the amount of fruit on your saplings. It’s lovely to see the fruit but also better for the tree if it is putting energy into growing. If there’s a lot, remove most fruit, leave just a few to try. The first year we had our apricot saplings one went crazy. I removed 200 small fruit and we still had loads.

Gorgeous rose. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Good advice - appreciated, as very much a novice :+1:

1 Like

We are thankful for our friends here in Trivy. I cannnot drive at the moment and one friend is driving Jim to Macon for his colonoscopy on Tuesday and another will bring him back in the evening.

5 Likes

Today’s “cheerful news”
 my Spanish Orange Cake was very well received by our pals
 so well that OH nearly wept when he saw how little was left for us
 :roll_eyes: :rofl: :rofl:
(I have promised to make another asap
 I have the oranges but not enough ground almonds so a shopping trip is being hastily planned for tomorrow.)

4 Likes

The garden is looking nice, even if a bit wild and it is amazingly beautiful weather.

10 Likes

These beauties are out, and an adventitious walnut (planted by an industrious squirrel).

7 Likes

Really strange, as I have alot of iris planted last year, but only a few have flowered, but the ones that have are absolutely beautiful :blush:

8 Likes

Today’s 2 x lots of really “cheerful news”

(1) there are 3 oranges gently simmering, the house smells wonderful and tomorrow I’ll be making another Orange Cake
(2) Ground Almonds 125g on special offer this morning, so I bought 8 packets
 enough for 10 cakes
 hurrah.

5 Likes

We could celebrate with cake because Jim does not have to have another colonoscopy for another three years. Wonderful!

7 Likes