Any cheerful news today? (Nothing negative please! šŸ™‚)

Iā€™m sat on the Eurostar going back to UK, to see my favourite person in the whole world.

13 Likes

Now I know that it makes perfect sense.

1 Like

My partner just came in with a bottle of champagne. When I looked puzzled he reminded me that tomorrow is Bastille Day and we have to toast the Republique since they are so good to us ā€¦ (he comes up with ever more creative excuses :rofl: )

2 Likes

Enjoy :clinking_glasses::clinking_glasses:

2 Likes

Excellent news for the French vaccination campaign, and the future.

2 Likes

Not exactly excellent news for freedom of choice and human rights. So much better if they had managed the pedagogical approach to get people to understand and want the vaccine. Being forced to have it (even indirectly for some) is a bit dictatorial to meā€¦

I would have preferred if they gave the right to patients and family the right to refuse to be treated by someone not vaccinated

The rdvs have obviously been made by those people who have decided to be vaccinated, whether soignants or not, whether ā€˜forcedā€™ or not. So, to me, that is good news for everyone.

2 Likes

Have a great trip, it might even be sunny over there. Enjoy !

They have obviously made their informed choice that they prefer continuing going out to restaurants than not.

2 Likes

Cheerful news here today is that the sun is shining (which lifts the mood) and there is a slight breeze so itā€™s not that hot. After so many difficult things going on these past few months, it is great to have something to enjoy :smiley: I might even manage to stake out the shape of my new little pondā€¦

4 Likes

A benefit of the endless rain is that our rhubarb is having a magnificent second flush, and the gooseberries are huge and juicy (and the birds havenā€™t stripped the bushes!)ā€¦

So tea party time (fingers crossed we might even be able to sit outside between rain showersā€¦)

7 Likes

Today we are going to the 95th birthday party of our friend Jean. We were invited to participate in a present for him, a gilet, but it would have to be a very expensive one, which wouldnā€™t suit him at all, so together with a couple of other friends from the village we are going to buy him a local history book.
I am sure there will be lots of good food and wine there . There usually is.

I hope you get a nice party for your 95th in France too, when it comes, Jane!

1 Like

Well, I had an absolutely marvellous one for my 60th.
We were very lucky, it was a huge surprise as the family had taken over a pub and brought my favourite singer too.
It was the year of the huge floods in Gloucestershire and there was just enough waster pressure to let the ā€˜doā€™ go ahead.

1 Like

I went to my first aqua gym last night which I absolutely loved! We laughed the whole time! Havenā€™t been in over 20 years and not really done any exercise for a few years :relaxed: :relaxed: :flushed: :flushed: . I know I really need to so was a great start and Iā€™m now keen to get in and do some laps while we are at the pool this afternoon rather than my usual sitting on the side having a natter with the mums! There are also 4 of us mums who canā€™t play / havenā€™t played tennis for years so we are going to get together and start playing! Yay to the new fit me coming on!!!

When we finished Aquagym most of us then went next door to the tennis club and finished off the wine and food from the tennis club party the night before :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: oh how I love my village! We presumed weā€™d totally wiped out all the good of the aquagym! I gave up at 1am the night of the party and tennis finals but the mens doubles didnā€™t actually finish until after 1.30am (they started at 10.30ish)!!!

5 Likes

I found this photograph of my great-grandmother with my grandfather and his 3 brothers in about 1935. I donā€™t know if they are in Vietnam or in France. My grandfather - next but one to his mother - is the only child ignoring the injunction to stand up straight.

7 Likes

Lovely photo! Would boats like that have been common in Vietnam in ā€˜35?

1 Like

What a fabulous photo VĆ©ro!!!

2 Likes

Small motor boat for waterskiing etc common on Cote dā€™Azur then but quite possibly also in Vietnam. (They lived mainly in Vietnam but came back to France regularly which is why Iā€™m not sure), and so many photos of 1930s Indochina look like 1930s South of Franceā€¦