Any cheerful news today? (Nothing negative please! 🙂)

OOh I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have my mother in one of the kitchen cupboards and as I am now French have absolutely zero intention of following any of the “legalities to be observed “ :joy:

6 Likes

We had a pale pink banksiae at the bottom of our back garden as young kids. It completely covered the original wooden fence all the way along the garden, about 8 to 10m long and about 2m high. It was absolutely beautiful, but an absolute monster. I have no idea how old it was, but the house was 1920’s and it may have been there since it was built.

3 Likes

Mine’s on a shelf above my desk. In her last few days she was in hospital and miserable so we asked her where she’d like to image herself. She said having a drink on a terrace at Nice. So that’s where she going to, just haven’t made it yet!

(And sod the Marie - it’s legal to scatter in nature. And in doing so you have to tell marie of where person was born, which is Berlin so no interest to France)

3 Likes

I know how to prune and graft roses, but have never taken cuttings to replant directly, to me the photo looks as if you’ve planted them upside down, if the nodes are sufficiently formed shouldn’t be a problem for them to root, it may be a trick of photo or something I’d love to know about.

When one has forgotten the context that was quite a comment to waken up to. :scream:

2 Likes

Left hand one looks alright. I agree about the others. Dip the bottom of the cutting in cinnamon to help with rooting.

You dont get it? Toryroo is Australian :rofl:

7 Likes

Awww that’s lovely! It’s always so weird meeting online people for the first time, I tend to have a voice in my head for people which always throws me!

No was very careful to keep them up the right way! :rofl:

Done already!

This is the only other rose we have ever done. It was originally in dh’s grandmothers garden in the Seine et Marne, then had a cutting taken to our first house neighbour in the Aude, then another taken to MILs house in Yorkshire, then last summer we managed to root one of 4 bits!

And my cheerful news for today, it’s raining! We are desperate! A whole 2mm so far! And with careful covering I have saved my peony from recent frosts and all its buds are intact. Been waiting 4 years for the damn thing. Last year had tiny buds that fell off from too dry or frost so very excited!

2 Likes

My father’s still on top of a dresser in the kitchen.

2 Likes

Trivia fact: The Banksiae rose is named for Lady Dorothy Banks, wife of Sir Joseph Banks who was the botanist on James Cook’s voyage to the South Pacific in HMS Endeavour.

1 Like

My mother is in the living room, but is alive and well which we are grateful for since she will be 99 in August!

12 Likes

And there’s Banksia which is named after Banks himself and is a family of those Australian bottlebrushy plants.

2 Likes

I thought you must have met before but you have incredibly busy lives! So glad it went well and I’m hoping to meet up with you both at some time in the not too distant future :smiley: (pity I can’t make the SF get-together…)

1 Like

Sorry haven’t had a chance to reply to your PM yet! When are you thinking of coming?

1 Like

A webcam has been put up in the roof of the skyscraper in Lyon that my company is based in (not that I’m based there as I am fully remote)… it shows the pair of Peregrine falcons that have nested there. Forgot to say that the mother is sitting on eggs that are about to hatch :heart_eyes:

12 Likes

I could spend hours looking at that , thanks @Gareth

2 Likes

Just PMd :smiley:

I have been trying out my new hoodie blanket. Soft and warm on the couch in this Spring’s evening temperatures close to a freezing 0⁰C, at home this week.

I don’t think I will ever be cold again :slight_smile: It’s toasty warm.

The Dork factor though, is high as you can see.

or

I get by, by imagining it’s my dress in a Klimt painting. ‘Carpet of flowers’ etc. Er…well, just carpet.

A more regal Hoodie (or is that Hoody) option for next winter

That will do to feed the cats in :slight_smile:

There’s a grey Regal version that might suit a cold house @captainendeavour ?
£13.63 on UK Amazon (and lots of other carpet designs) if you’re quick.

5 Likes

Well, It’s a tad less expensive than a Klimt…