Any cheerful news today? (Nothing negative please! šŸ™‚)

Thatā€™s not cheerful news at all :cry:

Very trueā€¦.didnā€™t know where else to post it. Amy further comments should maybe do in wildlife.

Or in the Not Cheerful News thread

1 Like

Live cam at the moment shows one of the falcons devouring a pigeon

Not even at breakfast time?

If any Michael Connelly fan is missing this from their collection ā€œNight Fireā€ (Ballard & Bosch) is on Kindle amazon uk at Ā£0.99p for a short period (not just today). Type in product number B07ND23R7H in the Search Box.

EDIT
Also found a highly rated book about the Post Office (was it Horizon?) scandal where it finally came out innocent sub-Postmasters and sub-Mistresses were falsely accused and many lost their livelihoods, were discredited and even some suicides after years of Post Office incorrect accusations and persecution that were due to the UK Post Officeā€™s own system. Type in product number B098GGKMW7. Priced Ā£0.99p, for a short while.

1 Like

Great offer - unfortunately I canā€™t take advantage as Iā€™ve already shelled out for all his books!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

and todayā€™s Cheerful News is weather relatedā€¦ but very cheerfulā€¦

We needed to bring a trailer of logs from one side of the villageā€¦ to our houseā€¦ and install them in the corridorā€¦ but the constant rain has been a nightmareā€¦
and todayā€¦ just as Iā€™m wondering about how to warm the house tonightā€¦ the clouds have parted and Sunshine is beaming down on usā€¦

OH dashed for the car and soon had the trailer of logs parked outside our front doorā€¦ After a swift unloading and relocating of the precious cargoā€¦ the logburner is now happy, logs crackling and flames dancingā€¦ and the gentle warmth is already pervading the houseā€¦

Hurrahā€¦

4 Likes

Thatā€™s very cheerful news Stella! Iā€™m envious as weā€™ve run outā€¦ still it should get better soon :crossed_fingers:

In the end we decided we couldnā€™t live with the pipe coming down so far out in the room and that it wasnā€™t parallel with the wall in the room below. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

It would have been hugely easier to do this before the pipe was in place. Yes, some plumbing would be needed but thatā€™s all paid for by the customer after they agree the price for the job. :roll_eyes:

Stuff a plastic bag in the hole or the smell may drift back indoors. :nauseated_face:

3 Likes

Itā€™s true. I have been checking in almost hourly and the poor eggs look lonely most of the time.

However, the falcon is sitting on the 3 eggs now and I suspect she mightnā€™t be if they were no longer viable. She may, on the other hand, just be an inexperienced new mother without a clue.

Just goes to show Nature doesnā€™t necessarily make every mother a good mother :disappointed_relieved:

This is a bit late but my friend in Stroud saw MayDay in at dawn on Rodborough Common and one of the photos appeared in the Guardian and Financial Times. I thought it was great to see something like that publicised for a changeā€¦

5 Likes

We used to live just below Minchinhampton Common.
Roborough Common noted for Winstoneā€™s ice cream

1 Like

Yes indeed Jane! I thought of you when posting it :smiley:

1 Like

It looked like one of the peregrine eggs has hatched, but it was just the 2nd one hiding around the corner. Theyā€™ve both flown now, but at least the nest isnā€™t totally abandoned.

2 Likes

Our Norfolk family have just sent me a short video of the kids building a ā€œdenā€ of branches/whatever in the orchard (under the watchful eye of their Dad)
ā€¦ seeing these children 2yrs and 8 yrs enjoying such simple pleasures is glorious.
Not a phone/tablet/whatever in sightā€¦ hurrah.

2 Likes

Clearing up after some DIY in my back yard I moved this piece of hardboard to sweep along the raised plinth itā€™s standing on

and found this charming creature snoozing on the plasterboard behind it.

That was taken on my phone. I got a proper camera out and this is a massive enlargement of his claws, clinging on to the peeling paper of the plasterboard.

I hope he finds more congenial digs ā€¦

6 Likes

Oh no! You have destroyed the BatCave! :crazy_face: what will Gotham City do now?

4 Likes

Oh I dunno dunno dunno dunno dunno dunno batperson.

1 Like