Any cheerful news today? (Nothing negative please! šŸ™‚)

No chance chez moiā€¦ THANK YOU!

Oooh oven temperature???

150c but I have a fan oven so I drop it to 140c

Iā€™ll check the measurements if you likeā€¦ unless youā€™ve found the recipe online.
Many add other bits and bobs, but the basic recipe is best, I reckon.

I warn folk to use one hand to catch the bitsā€¦ and we always end up laughingā€¦

Thanks again - I was going to busk the quantities :joy:

OH has brought the book, bless him

250gm SR flour
5ml ground ginger (I use 1 large Tspoon sometimes moreā€¦ depending on who is going to be eating them, some like really hot stuffā€¦)
100gm butter
150gm sugar (I use granulated 'cos thatā€™s what I have, the recipe suggests castorā€¦)
1 egg, beatenā€¦

put the balls, well spaced 'cos they spreadā€¦ onto baking trays and cook for about 40 mins.

Makes about 30 ballsā€¦ so arrange your oven grills to take the traysā€¦

they are done when slightly tinged with colour and sound solid when tappedā€¦ they are actually hollow by this stage. Youā€™ll know theyā€™re cooked when they look good !!

EDIT: These are nothing like Ginger Nutsā€¦

1 Like

That is most interesting, thank you, @stella! I have a favourite recipe entitled ā€œGingernutsā€ - again nothing like the packet things and they look very like the picture you posted. Looks like thereā€™s a higher proportion of sugar/golden syrup in mine and more ginger and there is a small amount of grated orange rind. I shall try yours and compare notes as my partner has been dropping hints about them recently. I can post my recipe if you like but if you have one that works well, Iā€™d stick with it :smiley:

1 Like

Mineā€™s the basic, authentic recipeā€¦ the others are probably just as delicious but they do use more ingredients.

the only change I sometimes makeā€¦ is to coat a few of them with really dark chocolate (once theyā€™re cold of course).

I certainly wouldnā€™t vouch for the provenance of my recipe, although it is decribed as ā€œtraditionalā€ whatever that means in this context :rofl:

1 Like

Sorry Angelaā€¦ that came out wrongā€¦ the original comes from who knows whereā€¦ but there have been variations over the years and google will give loads of ideas.

My cookery book is a reprint from 1948ā€¦ when ingredients would have been scarceā€¦ so perhaps thatā€™s why it is so simple.

I shall have a go with your recipe tomorrow, @stella - the simpler the better in my view :smiley:

1 Like

Iā€™ve always got lemons at homeā€¦ so I shall try adding some grated lemon zest to my next batchā€¦

and Iā€™ve also thought about replacing the ginger with cinnamonā€¦ perhapsā€¦ (but not the same batch which have the lemonā€¦)

Just as well the whole village like my offeringsā€¦ or OH might grow too big for his boots :rofl: :rofl:

Sounds delicious :yum:

1 Like

Iā€™ll report backā€¦ when I get around to bakingā€¦

1 Like

I havenā€™t watched it, because I know I will cry.

1 Like

Ginger Nuts Recipe (NZ Womenā€™s Weekly, which is the next best thing for recipes to the Australian Womenā€™s Weekly)

2 tips - donā€™t cook longer than it says the first time even if the biscuits look soft. They harden considerably left to cool on the baking tray.

Iā€™m a big fan of ginger so Iā€™ve been known to use up to 2* the amount of ginger. A slightly relaxed attitude to the amount of golden syrup is OK too.

Make the roll that you cut the Ā£1-coin thick gingernuts off to go on the baking tray, about the width of the 250g round packs of Beurre Echire (about 6-7cm) in the supermarket, these seem to give the best size after they spread in the oven.

I have the famous NZ recipe for easy quick cheap 1-egg chocolate cake too if anyoneā€™s interested

I never line the trays nonstick or greasing them with a smear of butter is just fine.

3 Likes

My OH makes these, almost exactly the same recipie. She puts about 4 times the ground ginger in though as I like them very hot. They start off like large marbles and end up as flat, crunchy biscuits ā€¦ Its magic.
Couldnā€™t do cinnamon though. Iā€™m allergic to cinnamon, as is my mother.

I have their muffin etc book, it is marvellous. For the last 25 years, until last year, I have baked every schoolday evening to make the following dayā€™s goĆ»ter for the famished horde (my children).

1 Like

A quick experiment with my water heater this morning showed it was the cheap Castorama own brand RĆ©ducteur de Pression causing my poor HW flow and not that my 2 year old heater was full of limes ale.

Now to find a replacement RdP which isnā€™t a flow blocking piston typeā€¦

2 Likes

Hurrahā€¦ the log delivery arrived todayā€¦
I put a call out for helpers so there were 5 (all codgers) lugging logs into their winter storage spot.

Halfway through, folk were flagging, so I called a haltā€¦ at least the delivery is all under cover in the garageā€¦ and OH and I can finish moving the rest, gradually during the next few daysā€¦

But the really good news is that Iā€™ve lit the fire !!! Hurrahā€¦
Now that we have enough wood to see us through, I felt I could be extravagant and strike a lightā€¦

7 Likes

Lovely Stella! you must have been quite nippy if this is your first fire or do you have other heating as well?

As we donā€™t have CH I try not to ever limit my wood, if it is cold I light it! I know Iā€™m very lucky to pay what I do however and may not feel the same if I was paying double!!

Just ordered my Friday night takeaway Iā€™m so excited to have such a delicious meal to look forward to!

1 Like