Any cheerful news today? (Nothing negative please! šŸ™‚)

I am such a grumpy meanyā€¦ā€¦lights use electricity and discombobulate night flying insects. And upset bats. So minimal use if you can. (Just call me scroogeā€¦)

Whoops, cheerful news thread so canā€™t be a grumpy meanyā€¦ So many positive thoughts fir 3rd jab, Iā€™m also cheerful for having had a jab today - but steroid injection into elbow joint so looking forward to months of pain free bending.

3 Likes

Itā€™s okā€¦ I hate using electricity unnecessarilyā€¦
This light effect thingy is LEDā€¦ uses practically nothingā€¦ and will give great joy to the local children (and everyone else) for a very short period of time over a few evenings ā€¦ then be packed away for next year.

Everywhere was so bleak last Christmas that we are all making a real effort to lift the spiritsā€¦
EDIT
Our bats are in hibernation by Christmasā€¦ tucked away , snoring in our atticsā€¦

4 Likes

Had a meeting followed by lunch out with some consulate / embassy bods today. Was really nice and lovely people!

7 Likes

(Quietly, as donā€™t want to disturb festive cheer, but do make the lights donā€™t sweep round and shine up under your eaves and wake your bats up. They will die if woken from hibernation)

No worriesā€¦ we have always taken great care of the varied wildlife which shares our home. :hugs:

1 Like

Fresh Kippers on the bone ā€¦think they are either Craster or Scottishā€¦back in our Super U. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:strong text

1 Like

Well. Life goes on here. I very much owe you a photo of the dog as sheā€™s been groomed. Not that you would notice. I sent the OH as working (alas) and as I understand plenty of teeth were shown!

With the long weekend doing ā€˜le pontā€™ Friday I passed a fair bit of time with my dad at his place where I had nice jobs like unblocking the sink, sorting out the little black bits under the sink (mouse poop) in exchange for some nice chats and hugs. Worth it any day !

4 Likes

Ha ha, as I entered the supermarket yesterday, a heavily hooded and masked figure rushed past me to the car park and called as he passed, ā€˜ca va Daveed?ā€™ , I just had time to call, ā€˜et toi?ā€™ before he was gone. No idea who it was, but gives a nice feeling of belonging, even after 22 years here. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

yes, it doesā€¦ but I feel guilty at not being able to zap back with the correct nameā€¦

OH and I will try and figure things out, afterwardsā€¦ trying to pinpoint the Assocation or locale where I might have metā€¦ whoeverā€¦ whenever.

I reckon the Old Folksā€™ party will be a grand unmasking eventā€¦ :rofl:

I have just spoken to our Pharmacy and they can do our 3rd jab six months to the day.
We will cancel our appointments with Doctolib, who gave us the 17th and 322nd December.

1 Like

I think this is cheerful news - remains to be seen how it works out!

My partner and I have started a local Association and it looks like itā€™s got through the Prefecture approval stage :smiley: The mairie promised us a room to meet in once we had the registration number. My goodness, what an interesting learning curveā€¦

3 Likes

No wonder you changed from Doctolib - I make this 18th December 2022.!

1 Like

Typo, sorry.

Hi Angela. Youā€™re forgiven - being hundreds of kilometers away from mique country ! It is a local and well-loved dish around these parts. Restaurants tend to advertise a mique lunch in advance and you generally have to reserve because it is so popular.
La mique est un plat Ć  base de cĆ©rĆ©ales proche du pain accompagnĆ©e de ragoĆ»t, de viande de porc salĆ©e cuite au bouillon, de confit de canard grillĆ©, etc. Plat traditionnel du Limousin, PĆ©rigord et du Quercy, le terme mique proviendrait de lā€™ occitan mica qui signifie mie.

Sounds brilliant, @Fleur :smiley: I just love trying regional dishes and the last time we were in your part of the world was years ago, before we quite realised which dishes were good where :roll_eyes:

If only the unmentionable virus would go back down a bit, we are desperate to exploreā€¦

1 Like

Tell us more?? Canā€™t start that sort of thing without us imagining all sorts of possibilities! Strawberry carving sessions, nose flute classes, how to make those salty & sugary english baked beans rather than the rubbish french savoury ones - the mind wanders!!

3 Likes

I like the sound of that! Being a bit limited on the artistic front, Iā€™m always looking for something new I might be able to do :smiley:

Itā€™s nothing as exciting as that - just a structured conversation group for anglophones and francophones to practice each otherā€™s language. I must say that learning how Associations are structured and regulated is most interesting!

1 Like

A great idea, only trouble here is that there wouldnā€™t be enough francophones interested, possibly because there arenā€™t enough anglophones at all. Heard the other day that 2 had departed, one back to Blighty and the other to a different village (downsizing because half the family have done a Blighty also.) That leaves, I think, one Anglo-Scottish couple that may have gone, because he was always at the memorial (but not this year) in his RAF Blazer with medals and beret, he served alongside the French in Bosnia, an Anglo-Irish coupleā€¦and us. :roll_eyes: :rofl:

you might be surprised by how many French folk do want to improve their English language skills and those who want to startā€¦ not in an academic way, just for the fun of it.

Certainly like that here abouts, but covid has put the mockers on that sort of thingā€¦ until Springtimeā€¦

On the cheerful side (bearing in mind the Thread Titleā€¦) our village workmen are building Christmas trees out of recycled palletsā€¦ the ā€œtrial pieceā€ looks very good.
The finished trees should be re-usable for several yearsā€¦

1 Like

But ā€˜improveā€™ infers that they have some knowledge already. Canā€™t say as I have noticed. M-P thought it was funny that when she often mispronounces my surname it means marche (with an acute) in French. She mispronounces it, occasionally, mainly because her husband, Mario, always does and corrects her when she gets it right. :rofl:
Neither show any interest in learning English, in fact pre covid she was often in here chatting with Fran when I was away, she in French Fran in English, but Fran does not remember any desire on either part to explore each othersā€™ speech. :slightly_smiling_face: