Any Ideas for saving money and throwing less away?

Amazingly, we did NOT buy any kitchen roll during the monthly shop. That makes 2 months now… and we are slowly working our way down the old stock at the rate of max 1 sheet per day (some days zero). Makes me realise how wasteful I was before … :thinking:

As for paper hankies… no way. I am actually enjoying using my collection of linen/cotton hankies which had been languishing in a drawer for years.

OK it’s not a fortune saved… but every penny counts.:relaxed:

Certainly not challenging your efforts Stella but over a period of time how much hot water electricity detergents etc are required to clean cotton hankies?
Are paper towels biodegradable, just asking.
In this cold weather I prefer the tried and tested way of finger on one nostril and blow hard then swap over.
The back of your hand will then suffice to tidy up afterwards :rofl:

2 Likes

Unless you want to spread your germs, washing your hands in hot soapy water immediately afterwards should be mandatory.
How many resources would that take as opposed to including your cotton hankies in your white wash?

2 Likes

Living in a germ free environment is a danger to your immune system. Of course hygiene has a place in life but for someone who has worked in numerous locations where it has been impossible to use such luxury’s I have opened my sandwich box and tucked in, perhaps using a torn off corner of silver foil as a barrier between dirty fingers and bread. Eating in a site canteen with snuffles coughs and sneezes all around was a fact of life and it goes along way to building up a good immune system. I don’t recall any days off work for coughs colds or some sort of stomach compliant unlike many clerical/indoor workers who, on getting sniff or a tummy bug would take time off.
Seeing adverts that suggest using a certain disinfectant will kill 99% of household germs makes me laugh as all that does is make the user more susceptible to external germs that will surely get you.
Of course we should all be sensible but we also all need a good immune system which is created by contact with the bugs around us.
just a thought, what do you do when you take a trolley into the supermarket? grab the handle with both hands, rifle through the fruit and veg to get what you think is the best specimen, that same fruit and veg is then placed on the checkout, handled by the cashier etc until it eventually ends up in your salad or fruit bowl, germs and all from the last person that handled the trolley handle with dirty hands.
It doesn’t kill you, it builds up your immune system.

1 Like

There is a certain amount of research that supports the idea that children should not be over protected from bacteria, from natural birth rather than caesarian to being in contact with nature and having contact with animals. And this lowers risk of allergies in later life.

However, not as clear cut for adults as once your immune system is more formed it becomes harder to acquire immunity apart from being zapped with a vaccine.

Bit that is totally different from basic hygiene in day to day life to protect yourself from aggressive and virulent bacteria and virus. And to protect the people you are in contact with. Would you really advocate licking your fingers after butchering a raw chicken? Probably not (I hope!) so in the same vein it is merely sensible to wash your hands every now and then throughout the day.

(Clerical workers could well have taken time off because they were bored out of their brains, so relish any excuse for a day away)

1 Like

I can’t work out why anyone can be concerned about recycling used nappies for further purposes.

After all, no-one ever raises concerns about bathing in, or cleaning their teeth with, recycled water that has had hundreds of tons of assorted turds :poop: floating in it recently, or adding tap water that people have pissed in to their apéro pastis.

Use your heads and your imaginations, folks! :thinking::smiley:

1 Like

image :wink:

1 Like

Seems that not many folk on the forum have money-saving ideas… :upside_down_face:

Yes, I find that surprising too…
You know who would have a wealth of money saving tips and ideas - Jeanette :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

:+1::clap:

1 Like

Ok, here’s one.
I used to drive out every day to get fresh bread from our local boulangerie and usually added something nice from the well stocked counter display.
We then bought a bread maker, it took a while to find a bread mix we liked but now we have we have never looked back.
Over 700 round trips saved and excluding the lecky to power the bread maker our daily bread costs us about 35 cents.
You do the maths :+1:
I should add that it has also helped with wieght loss!

4 Likes

@Stella: “Seems that not many folk on the forum have money-saving ideas…:upside_down_face:

Here’s one I’ve suggested before, I think.

Don’t buy new clothes or shoes until the one’s you’ve got are beyond repair.

Nobody cares a toss what you’re wearing if it’s clean. Stop fretting neurotically about what people think about your appearance, and move mindfully, respectfully and cheerfully through the world.

You’ll save money and help to reduce the emission of greenhouse gases.

I don’t expect more than 15% of readers to approve this message, and more than 5% to heed it. My old sparring-mate @Jeanette_Leuers would, she lives it. :hugs::smiley:

2 Likes

Unfortunately, I have not got a good immune system.

I always use a hand sterilizer after coming out of the supermarket and wash my hands when I get home.

2 Likes

Back in the 80’s and early 90’s I had 9 office staff of mixed gender that worked for my construction business. They didn’t take time off as they knew the same employment rules applied to them as it did to my tradesman on site.
There is a saying in the building industry: Better get your tool box tidy cause you’ll be down the road on Friday, this applied to them all - no work no pay. Might sound harsh but I think that today’s employment laws are an ass and clerical staff in particular push the boundaries with ideas that taking time off that they know will be paid for is no less than robbing thier employer.

1 Like

This is not always productive when someone is infectious and they then infect others at work.

I think it was one of the London Boroughs that scrapped sick pay (other than Statutory Sick Pay) and added half of the previous years average sick days to employees holiday entitlement - this drastically cut absence from work.

1 Like

There were genuine cases of illness, I was not that mean :grin:

I quite agree with you Peter.

I’m at that age where I have more clothes than I need. Although I find it impossible to always resist taking a look in the shops…:wink:

I used to be a regular shopper in M&S (years ago) and am still wearing a lot of their stuff. It was good quality at that time and I bought when on Sale… some is perhaps 30+ years old and still washes and wears well - their wool sweaters are wonderfully warm in winter and the summer cottons and linen are just right for the heat.

Excess good-condition stuff can be donated to worthy causes… it makes sense to move stuff on… but I have had to force myself to part with a few of the outfits which I had particularly liked in my “other life” :hugs:

2 Likes

The same applies to many other things in life. Basically don’t buy things unless they are necessary or add significant joy to your life. And if you do need to buy things see if you can find a second hand source, like leboncoin a vide grenier, a vide-dressing or similar. Its such a shame that freecycle hasn’t taken off in france.

Also look out for Trocs - books, garden stuff, clothes. Or swap things with friends.

But sometimes it’s better not to go for the lowest price and biggest saving… i have bought these products without really knowing how the idea started

4 Likes

I will have to start looking for this brand the next time we go shopping.

1 Like

Jane Jones, I saw that article too. Does anybody here know which French supermarket chains carry this brand? I’d like to look for their products on our next trip.