Anybody know how to exclude sound from an uploaded video?

I videod Jules and Shanna, the 2 dogs, through the glass doors to the terrasse. Although they knew I was there I did not want to move about too much or go out to do it as that might have distracted them and put an end to the, to me, delightful scene.

But the radio was going with a discussion programme not necessarily of interest to anyone else, and also, as I am in the throes of asthma/coughing/ swollen throut preventing the removal of pipe blocking mucus, I did not want sound on the public video. In addition, even through the double glazing I could hear some of the noises they made in their very boisterous wrestling game.

I muted the video when I played it back, muted it again when I ran it on my editing programme and yet again when I transferred it first to my hard drive and subsequently, to YT. But the sound is still there.

I haven’t checked the camera yet, a Nikon Coolpix, to see if there is something I could have done before filming but in any case it didn’t occur to me at that point.

I can, of course, edit the uploaded video by cutting out the bits with the worst sounds in, but that would ruin the flow of the action.

Any ideas?

Edit the video to mute, lower or replace the sound but leave the video?

Kdenlive is available on windows for free if you want a fairly capable editor without laying out $$$

Ditto Sir William - you will need to use a video editing program to remove the sound.

Fortunately Adobe are offering a free online service to do just that:

https://www.adobe.com/express/feature/video/remove-audio

You can even replace your froggy throat noises with a gorgeous musical soundtrack :smiley:

Yep - what the others have said… Mute (or replace with something else) the audio track of your video.

The tools already mentioned by the others work well. Otherwise I’ve been playing around with a free software called Capcut. It makes doing this sort of stuff a breeze. Plus you can add effects like fade-in /fade -out, do slow-motion, add text, etc…

https://www.capcut.com/

Use a demuxer, or demultiplexer, e.g. avidemux

then load the video file into avidemux, and remove the audio streams:

https://www.avidemux.org/admWiki/doku.php?id=tutorial:save_only_video

Thanks all, it appears there are several ways available, but before I try one of them I’ll go back to the one I’ve used for years, Movavi, and see if it has a way of doing it. Mind you I have been resisting their blandishments to upgrade for ages which might solve the problem, but I would probably have to pay for that.

Now I know why some videos have those annoying cheesy soundtracks.

Yes a lot of the time with video the live sound is either not relevant/appropriate or not clear enough to use - hence why Hollywood often dubs dialog and sound effects on afterwards.

If I’m filming an interview video I generally have to get the interviewee to wear a lapel mic as often the room is too echoey otherwise.

As for the cheesiness, that’s down to video makers needing to use royalty free “production “ music not well known tracks, in order to avoid copyright issues on YouTube etc.

I’ve found a couple of reasonable audio libraries (Smartsound and Audiio) but many are dreadful.

Oh well we’ll see now won’t we? With some hard study I managed to work my way through Movavi’s audio adding feature and withdrew the original video to mute the soundtrack and replace it with 4 bits of music from them. I think it’s turned out ok but see for yourselves. If you are not interested in dogs just sit through the first couple of minutes or so where there is a transition from one piece of music to the next. If you are interested in dogs I should warn you that the whole thing is 9 minutes long. Let me know at least if the replacement of the original audio has been successful. :grinning:

2 Likes

Yes that worked out OK David!