Anyone got an electric car in France?

Interesting commentary on the environmental advantage of electric vehicles debate

1 Like

Yes, all good points he makes. But itā€™s easy to find anti hydrogen articles too and the ersatz petrol sounds expensive and difficult to make. Really, I guess we just need less cars and people :scream: in the World if weā€™re not going to screw it up.

Weā€™re taking delivery of a new EV next week and Iā€™ll be shocked :joy: if I outlive its battery, let alone wait for hydrogen or eco ā€œcarbonā€ fuel to come on stream

Carpe diem - we have nothing to fear, except fear itself (FDR) :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I would like Rowan to buy a hydrogen car and then rewrite his article. As I have said this is a transition and things will change the rate of development is staggering when compared to how the internal combustion engine and cars took to get anywhere.

2 Likes

I agree!

What I would like to see would be cities and large towns seriously improving a free public transport system - Schedules, routes, cleanliness and safety all can be first class as those are in Singapore and Hong Kong. Then make urban areas public transport only. Car free. Add large tree lined pedestrian areas. Cafes, shops and areas for children to safely play would, I hope, follow.

My utopian fantasy!

However, I can see where commerce would push back, and folks who cannot contemplate using public transport. Pity.

2 Likes

Due to the ULEZ cameras everywhere we will be being watched under the excuse on air pollution.
Next expect pay per journey, all designed to get tbe peasants out of their cars, when I say their, I actually mean leased. We are sleepwalking into an age where we own very little and rent a lot. Making a tiny percentage of the population very wealthy a d powerful. Glad I will be gone before it happens

Annuity revenue streams, capitalist Nirvana. Like good old ground rent, assets you can milk forever.

Dont forget lifetime mortgages (equity release plans)

1 Like

IIRC from your earlier comments, you were very pleased to promote it when it made money for you.

The fact is annuity revenue streams are gold :slightly_smiling_face: Thatā€™s why Microsoft and many others have moved to that business model. But thereā€™s a big difference between a revenue stream that is derived from a service or piece of software in a competitive market and a revenue stream that comes from the land your house is built on. Itā€™s difficult to change supplier for your ground rent :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Everyoneā€¦ Iā€™ve just had a read at some of the above chat about electric vehicles and the access to chargers etcā€¦
I will also need a car when I move back to France and at the mo looking for a hybrid, although to be honest quite concerned about what to get due to my limited choice, as mine has to be a sans permis voitureā€¦
I did look at the TWizzy and the Ami but both look awful. Also have a limited budget too, so reading all this info to see if I can get some useful hints as to what I might buy.
Can I ask - If only moving initially with a long stay visa, will I have to be in France for a specific amount of time, or could I qualify for any discounts, due to buying electric. ?
My other question - Someone mentioned about having a box installed (Iā€™m presuming this is at your residence) Can anyone explain anything about this or anything else that I might need to know before buying.
I am hoping my son will be with me at the time of purchase, but would be great to have some idea from those on here that are in the know about such mattersā€¦
ā€¦ and please excuse my ignorance on the matterā€¦ it was so easy last time I lived in France. Bought a car, had it delivered, got it registered at perfectuer and didnā€™t have to think about it after thatā€¦ lol
Thanks in advanceā€¦ :hugs:

I donā€™t think there are any sans permis hybrids, too complicated and too expensive for small cars. The Twizzies are nice but would you like tandem seating? The Ami doesnā€™t need a wall box charger because it has a lead and domestic plug built in. If I was to choose between the two Iā€™d go Ami.

https://www.darty.com/achat/boutique/ami-citroen-electrique/index.html

Thanks John_Scully
I saw some Axium Electric vehicles, but was a bit worried going all electricā€¦ but sounds like I have no choice in the matter, if they donā€™t make hybrids (sans permis) yes I heard you just plug in the ā€˜Amiā€™ although they have more room than the twizzy and I would want to have a passenger as before. Itā€™s nice to take someone out for the day, etcā€¦ I do have time to have a good look whats available but still anxious when it comes to acutally buying oneā€¦ if it wasn;t for budget Iā€™d buy a Chatenet~(canā€™t remember the number that goes with that carā€¦ but one of those typesā€¦
I did see one that looked similar to a miniā€¦ not that I care about the look as such, but want one that is a bit bigger than a ride on lawn mowerā€¦ lol

The range is quite limited, 70km I think.

My last car did 60kmā€¦ but it felt faster cornering country roadsā€¦ lol but nice steady speed for meā€¦
I was going to do my cbt test and get a trike, but not sure how that goes in France. Here I would still need to pass the ā€˜theory testā€™ an absolute impossibilityā€¦ can only just remember where I live these days :rofl:

sorry picked you up wrongā€¦you meant the miles before having to chargeā€¦ I guess locally would be fine, but its still a concern and sounds like hassle for meā€¦

We have a Greenā€™Up plug fitted by an electrician in our courtyard. It cost 500ā‚¬. It charges at about 15-20km an hour, we put it on overnight for a full charge. You can pay more and charge faster, but it works fine for us.
I think there is a lot of debunked stuff in that article and not sure what point he is trying to make. I donā€™t think anyone is suggesting you should get rid of cars after three years and if electric cars do get sold on, doesnā€™t that get rid of an older, more polluting vehicle down the chain?

My interpretation is we are not there yet, hardly surprising and new lower cost battery technology is already in some test vehicles by CATL the largest battery manufacturer in the world and its Chinese of course because while the west criticise the east, they get on with improving and innovating.

Most of the special concessions require you to have a tax return, so you have to have been here for a year first. Whether just getting a fiscal reference would be enough I donā€™t know. When we bought our Evie we had to give them a copy of the return to get the ā‚¬7k bonus.

1 Like

Yes I think you are right Corona, but it would be a bit bonkers to not buy electric cars whilst waiting years for a better technology. I think I have read that now electric cars have to be on the road for two years before being overtaken by ICE cars in terms of impact on the environment.
It also seems a strange article from someone who I believe has admitted to being a petrolhead and has a collection of vintage high-powered cars.

As ever, who pays the piper. The incredibly rich oil and gas can afford to buy opinons left right and centre. If you can afford to and the right sort of vehicle is available. I am looking forward to the Kia ev9 but was considering smaller and a trailer when needed but it seems it could cost a lot more for a trailer on the tunnel or ferry nowadays so all things are once again in the air. Sold a perfectly good car in order to comply with the ULEZ so will keep that for a few years now before making the jump unless something changes.

We have the Peugeot e2008. Fabulous to drive and though the range is not the best we get about 250km. It works fine for us in retirement.

1 Like