Anyone got an electric car in France?

I was listening to Broadcasting House this morning and they were chatting about an Atkinson article in the Sunday Times, “Stop treating cars like fast fashion” (I couldn’t find it online). He got short shrift from Kirsty Alsop based on him owning a $20M McLaren F1 :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Seems he’s on a bit of a mission, but when he writes he feels “duped”, who does he thinks duped him?

Here’s the Sunday Times article

The Guardian article appeared the day before.

Methinks he protesteth overmuch.

2 Likes

Just reading that in one year the number of fast chargers in France has gone up by 200%. Lots of new sites opening too, including those shaded by a roof with solar panels.
France is doing really well on this.

3 Likes

The rebuff to Mr. Bean’s articles.

Yes no matter how you splice it ICE age is over. See what I did there :blush:

1 Like

In 15-25 years maybe :wink: new cars depends on when they stop pushing the cut off date back to, second hand cars will be around for a long time yet, in the likes of Africa etc decades away.

I suspect that ICE cars will be priced out of the market by fuel costs before they become technically obsolete.

3 Likes

And then the price of electric for charging will be ramped up and up by some way of taxation as tax revenue from fossil fuel declines.

2 Likes

That’ll be a taxation dilemma alright. But hard to see how home charging can be hit.

Perhaps like a tv license works/worked in the UK,when you buy a tv the authorities are notified and they know you need a license.
You buy an EV and again the authorities are notified who in turn instruct the household electricity supplier to charge an extra tax on a % of electricity that invariably will be used to charge the EV.

Solar’s the answer :grin:

Ahh but your solar panel seller will have to fill out a form and they will tax sunlight next

They would if they could :roll_eyes:

SDF, soleil de France :joy:

1 Like

Adoption of technology doesn’t precede at the same rate and in the same sequence everywhere. Sometimes a generation is skipped, as happened with landlines for most Africans, because the mobile infrastructure was cheaper and easier to install. Most people went straight from snail mail to mobiles and the Internet.

If the Chinese can produce a cheap, indestructible e-version ofthe Hi-Lux bakkie, electric vehicles could take over very fast -less to go wrong than ICE and ready availability of solar, That said, an e-vehicle would be less use in S Africa where the Eskom electricity ifs on the brink of collapse, with domestic power cuts every day.

4 Likes

Ha, yes. And even if you don’t rely on Eskom good luck keeping your own solar panels from being stolen!

I remember driving past this place in PE

The beleaguered stadium in Humewood has been stripped by thieves over the years with bricks, floorboards, window panes, doors and grandstand plastic chairs stolen.

:scream:

2 Likes

We already buy enough cheap crap from china

I think they tried to do so in Spain impuesto al sol

I was referring to Africa where the Chinese are already very active.

‘We’ ,whether in the EU or the UK are unlikely to be able to purchase inexpensive Chinese e-cars because there will be tariff barriers.

Personally, I still think plug in hybrids are the way to go right now as you can do all the local journeys with electric, then you have the engine to do the periodic long journeys without range anxiety. Most people use their car most of the time for relatively local journeys. And using the elec motor most of the time saves wear on the ICE!

2 Likes