Aperos with our Farming Neighbours - what to serve?

We are surrounded by fields which are farmed by our neighbours who live about a kilometre away, which means we see them rarely.
When we first moved in 15 years ago we were warned he was “difficult”. In fact he’s anything but - just shy and diffident because he didn’t have a good relationship with the previous (English) owners who used the place as a second home and he assumed we didn’t speak French. So over the years we have got to know him gradually. Several times he has helped us - usually getting us out of a ditch with his tractor!
I took photos when they were planting beet - a brutal task in late winter and subsequently they invited me round to photo the amazing Christmas village they put up in their conservatory each year.
Finally this autumn, I have plucked up the courage to invite them round for aperos about 6pm next Saturday. Never done it before, so haven’t a clue what to serve. OH took round a bottle of whisky after one of the occasions when he helped us and he said he doesn’t drink spirits - neither do we.
So what do we serve them (and us)?
Very grateful for help / suggestions please.

1 Like

We’ve been offered local produce… apple or pear juice…
-and another favourite on offer has been non-alcoholic sparkling wine…

-some do drink (alcoholic) sparkling wines… and red/white/rose even if they don’t touch spirits…
-cider

offer what you enjoy…

1 Like

Thanks Stella - also I need advice about what food to serve please - not just what to drink

We tend to have a variety of various sorts of nibbles - the usual peanuts and little savoury biscuits, but also whatever my partner is in the mood for preparing, such as bits of goats cheese in puff pastry boats (sometimes with honey and thyme) or mini vol-au-vents with various fillings…

5 Likes

Good idea Angela. Certainly we’ll have wine and I’d rather do something a bit more substantial than just nibbles. I do some quite good individual quiche.

3 Likes

There’s an old topic which covers basically the same question you might like to review…

1 Like

Having read that link… can I just point out that grapefruit aka pamplemousse is not advised for those on certain medications…

I always have to check what is in any “punch/cocktail” since that forbidden-fruit is so often included in these popular drinks…

to err on the side of caution… the forbidden-fruit is never allowed or served in my house or at any event where I’m involved in arranging the drinks…

2 Likes

I think the problem with food is whether you want actual aperos - drinks with nibbles (albeit rather better that the nuts-and-crisps concept) or whether you are heading towards an apero-dinatoire which seems to be much closer to a sort of buffet lunch. Personally, I hate those as they are neither one thing nor the other, but they are certainly quite popular :thinking:

1 Like

I have often been offered beers as well as the usual port,whiskey etc. Some men don’t like spirits but like a nice beer especially a decent brune. Serve whatever you are comfortable with, you have invited them so they should respect your offerings even if they don’t accept them to eat/drink. My old neighbours used to get out the firewater, you couldn’t feel your lips but it loosened everyone’s tongues. Saucissons, nuts, cheese - all good things for farmers

2 Likes

Ha ha… I have a vision of Sue and her OH… nibbling and drinking the leftovers until bonfire night… :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Yes indeed - I know Sue is a generous person…

1 Like

It’s often difficult to know if one is outstaying one’s apero-welcome… or even… when can one reasonably get away ??? it’s a fine line…

and I’ve perfected my own “hint” when I’ve finally had enough of my guests…

I wander around with a plate of my homemade chocs… offering “one for the road” :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

being a straight talking northerner… just tell like it is and to bugger off :wink:

2 Likes

we all have different ways of charming folk… :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Simple food, but good quality and local, not exotic.

Slices of a saucisson made by a local artisanal boucher, I usually offer saucisson de canard and / or boeuf rather than porc, as they’re less common around here. A bowl of radishes in iced water if the weather is still warm (no sun, but C24° here at the moment) dipping salt and some butter to go with them. A bowl of olives?

To drink - can’t imagine a farmer round here drinking white or rosé? but again I’d offer a local red and a white or if it’s still warm a rosé. All these offerings show you’re supporting local producteurs and know about the local produce.

1 Like

The most important thing to remember is that this is meant to be fun…

French friends are always interested in the English angle on eating/drinking… when they’re at ours… a voyage of discovery… is how one described it…
at least that’s how I translated it… and I hope he meant it kindly… :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

I think the English are quite adept at saying, “Golly, is that the time?!” “The dog/children/cats/granny will be wondering where we’ve got to……”

Other cultures, not so much.

We have invited to our home here French neighbours and German neighbours and mixed nationality couples on separate occasions for apero at 16:00. Without exception we were still opening more bottles at 19:30.

Thing is, the Spaniards and Portuguese as well as most from Italy, eat dinner quite late. So they can happily enjoy cocktail hours with you until it is quite clear to them that there will be no spontaneous dinner chez vous. The French, depending on where, can also linger as long as there is still something to drink and nibble.

My husband is like @graham , or I should say, worse. Thing is, my husband has a low visitor tolerance level and feels there should be none of them in the house after sundown. He has been known to start switching off the lamps, when the guests are all still lounging on the sofas!

Once, at an evening at the British ambo’s residence in Moscow, the ambo’s lovely wife asked me to help her hide bottles of wine and such, in the children’s bedroom. The Russians would never leave a place where there was still some alcohol to drink.

So basically, short of setting the dogs on them, when entertaining members of foreign cultures, it is best to be ready for everything.

(Having ready in the kitchen a salami or two you can hurriedly slice, cornichons and finger accessible cheese will all help if guests start turning into lodgers. And you can always enjoy these yourself, without guests, later or another day.)

I have also been known to offer blankets if no one starts moving by midnight.

5 Likes

is that even possible :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Our French neighbours gave us a freshly made quiche with bacon etc for the only apero we have experienced so far. I will aim to emulate that kind of dish, though I wouldn’t actually serve quiche.

but perhaps sloe :grin:
:coat:

1 Like