Apostille and notary

Can someone tell me how I can get my documents apostille, I need to send them back to the united states. It us a deed document

Kimberly, please would you amend your Registration to give your Full Name as per our T&C’s.

If you are not sure how to do this, simply put your Full Name on this thread and I will amend it for you…


If they are not in English you need to get them translated by a registered translator (assertementé), and then signed and then the translators signature must be certified by your local marie or a notaire.

An Apostille is simply the name for a specialized certificate, issued by the Secretary of State. The Apostille is attached to your original document to verify it is legitimate and authentic so it will be accepted in one of the other countries who are members of the Hague Apostille Convention

  • An apostille is a government seal that makes it legal to use certain documents outside of the United States. These documents include public documents like marriage, birth, and death certificates, as well as all types of court documents, diplomas, school records, and official certificates.

How do I get a document apostilled?

You’ll need to have all of your documents in order. This means you’ll need original copies of your state-issued documents, notarized within that state and made official. You’ll also need the name of the country requesting that document, so your notary can double check the document requirements due to the fact that each country has their own set of specific guidelines regarding document apostilles.

Any vital records (birth, death, or marriage documents) must come from their country of origin. You can request an apostille online or in person, and you’ll need to go through the appropriate channels, per your state guidelines, in order to get to the right department and request your apostille. Most requests should be directed through the Secretary of State. The time frame could be up to seven days, so give yourself some flexibility if you need an apostille; you may not be able to get it immediately.

How much does an apostille cost?

The total cost of getting an apostille may include getting copies of all necessary documents. Depending on the county, some vital records offices may charge $10 and up per copy, for documents like birth or marriage certificates. Factor in the cost of a signing service, as well as the apostille itself, and you’ll have the total amount. To request an apostille from the Secretary of State, it’s generally $15 per copy, unless the apostille is for adoption proceedings, in which case the cost drops down to $10 per apostille.

What about documents written in a foreign language?

If you need documents apostilled that are not written in English, you’ll need to have the papers translated by a translator, then the notary signs on the translated documents. The notary would need to witness the translation as well as the translator signing the papers, then both the untranslated and translated copies would be turned in to receive the apostille.

All apostilles require a legal signature and official seal of the participating agency. Documents that are apostilled require no further certification upon entering another country, including Embassy or customs certification. Check with state guidelines to ensure you have everything you need to request an apostille as well as the appropriate forms and notarized documents to expedite the process.

1 Like

Thank you ! But who or where do I go for the apostille?

Kimberley - please give your Full Name

Kimberly cathcart

Please forgive me, for being naive but, I have already had my documents translated, they are ready to be notarized. Does the notary order the apostille or do I go somewhere else for that?
Thank you for your patience with me

Kimberly dale cathcart

Just phone up your local notaire… in france they are officers of the state.

1 Like

Thank you! Much appreciated.

Except I might have steered you in wrong direction as perhaps does need a higher authority


@Kimberly, generally, applying for an Apostille is done via your local Court of Appeal in France.

Thank you.