Apostille - where do I get one?

I have been asked to attach an apostille to a power of attorney document. Apparently an apostille is a document that confirms that the notaire I use is an authorised notaire. Does anyone know where i go for an apostille - is it eg the local prefecture or mairie ?

Thanks for that Alex. Happy with the process now - its just how long it might take the french bureaucrats that worries me!

1 Like

Your local Court of Appeal. Normally, your notary should be able to deal with this as he/she was the one who signed the document. It usually entails sending the original document to the Court of Appeal and requesting an Apostille under the Hague Convention. It isn't a document, but generally a seal (nowadays a printed / stamped seal) that is added to the original document.

As I only just noticed that the answer had already been provided, I'll just add that this is quite a common requirement for documents intended for Spanish speaking countries and Latin America, and some Asian countries.

Hi Catherine, I went this pm to the Notaire. He signed and stamped the power of attorney document (which was in both Spanish and French as its being used by a Spanish gestor). I gave him photocopies of my passport which he signed and stamped. He then demanded 120 euros ! attached a form and posted the lot off to a "ministerial" office in Riom (a city about 2 hours drive away). He expects it to return with an apostille attached in about 8 - 10 days (I've heard that before!) . So there's the answer - your local notaire will sort out an apostille for you.

Nick,

I’d be very interested in what the notaire says. Thanks.

Thanks Catherine - but - a recent European law demands that documents like a power of attorney, witnessed/signed by a notaire are to be accompanied by two supporting documents: an apostille which is a government document confirming that the Notaire is an authorised Notaire, and secondly by a copy of passports also signed and stamped by the notaire. I shall visit the Notaire today and ask him where i get an apostille

I thought from the notaire–our local notaire did this for me for my birth certificate–in my case he was attesting that I was the person on the birth certifcate (I took my passport). He stamped it and signed over the stamp, dated, etc. Best thing, he didn’t charge.

Can you,tell me where in France you are? I need an Apostille but I am in VAr.

The page I link to below gives the information to cover most situations. Note that the law has recently changed (March 2020) to allow some documents to be notarized at a regional level by the Presidents of the Regional (or Interregional) Notarial Association:

https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F1400#:~:text=Vous%20devez%20adresser%20votre%20demande,formulaire%20ou%20sur%20papier%20libre.

That’s largely for French documents going elsewhere…I’m sort of presuming the OP is wanting a foreign document authenticated for using here?

Like this

https://www.cours-appel.justice.fr/aix-en-provence/apostilles

Thank you!