Applying for French citizenship

Thanks Patricia. My written French is ok to good but oral French is another matter. Better get brushing up then if I decide to go for it.

I started this process about a year ago now, with finding the right forms to fill in, getting birth certificats translated....etc. Last week, I finally arrived at the interview. My file will now be transferred to Paris, and i should get the reply within another year. By the way, you now have to undergo a French test, which consists of listening to a CD and replying to written questions. Even French people would have difficulty getting 100%! Luckily you don't need to get this, but a fairly good level of oral French is required, and a good deal of patience regarding the paper work.

Not to be got into lightly, in other words.

Dear All,

Any recent information about applying for French Citizenship? I have been here for nearly 9 years and my French is reasonable. I am not giving up everything I have worked for here!

PS Am over 60!

http://www.expatica.com/fr/visas-and-permits/A-guide-to-French-citizenship-and-permanent-residence_107626.html

punch a Gendarme

Some countries don't allow for dual/multiple nationality - a common rule is your precise status can remain undecided until majority but then you have to choose, and there may be obligations eg military service if you are in the right age bracket. Some countries don't allow it at all. Some countries allow naturalisation only if the original nationality is relinquished.

If you were registered as a Canadian citizen at birth then you should be able to access your birth certificate through a central registry in Ottawa, surely?

Hello all fellow Americans or others having dealt with this fingerprinting challenge:

Cannot seem to find any French admin willing to do my fingerprints for FBI doc needed as the Casiere Judiciare (criminal background check) needed for the Naturalization process here in France. Unfortunately the only person I can find is a woman in Paris who does it and I live in the very South of France (near Perpignan).

Seems now by 2016 no authority here “is authorized” as they say, to do this anymore - gendarmerie, police, prefecture, consulate, embassy…none of these will do it for me!

I am in the South of France near Perpignan. Any ideas?

Thanks a million,

Beth

This Thread seems to be Active & Interesting discussion!

I’m from India & working in France since 2011 (more than 5 yrs to be specific :)). I work here with “Carte de sejour temporaire” - nature du titre & remarques : salarie en mission.

When i got here i was given this permit for 3 years & renewed there after & i learnt from my company that they won’t be able to renew again.
Either i would be asked to leave France or i was asked to check with Prefecture if am eligible for 10 years card.

Does anybody knows if with this “Type of Card” i can get 10 Years card?

Thanks for your suggestion/insight in advance.

Have a nice day.

1 Like