Aqua Flow watering Timer - Explanation please

Does anyone have an Aqua Flow garden watering timer who could explain to me when the watering actually comes on? Grateful any help / suggestions. Thanks.

Friends who are in the UK phoned to say they’d left their Aqua Flow watering timer on and could I go round and adjust it to run for only 5 minutes every 24 hours. I did this with them on the phone telling me what to do and that worked - after 5 minutes it turned itself off.
So I thought I’d go round to their place at the same time yesterday evening to make sure it turned itself on again (ie 24 hours later) and nothing happened. So I turned it on again for 5 minutes and left.
I don’t think our friends understand what they’ve bought any more than I do. When he first set it up he did it at 6am before they left for the UK. So I went round first thing this morning - but no sign of any watering having taken place at 6am.
Does anyone have one of these? There seems to be no clock on it as such (which I find quite bizarre) just two dials - one for frequency and one for length of time. (NB: their version has no brand name on it other than Aqua Flow, but in all other respects is like the one below.)

With ours we have to go down and set it at the time we want it to come on, if I want it to start at 8pm I have to go down set the time and duration. It’s a pain in the bum especially as I have 2 sides that come on, on different days and as things grow I need it to come on for longer. Another thought is, are the batteries ok?, I don’t think I’m being very helpful, sorry Sue.

1 Like

Turn the dial on the left to 24 (once every 24 hours) and the one on the right to 5 minutes.

It doesn’t need a clock, but it contains a timer. So if you set it for watering every 24 hours, it will next water 24 hours from the time you set it. Given that we need to use water wisely, it’s best to set it to water either early in the morning or as the sun goes down.

2 Likes

I would agree, that is what SHOULD have happened. But it didn’t.
When I first set it I did exactly what you describe Brian.
It stopped after 5 minutes when I was talking to my friends on the phone and first setting it - great.
As I said above, I went back yesterday evening at the time I had set it on the previous day and waited and it did not come on.

@Debby_Wade Thanks Debby. Not sure I can change the battery. I opened it up and it looks to be sealed in. I think it is new - bought for this trip to the UK - so the battery should be ok.

1 Like

perhaps this is a mystical interference due to the threatened water shortages and the subsequent banning of watering anything except farmers’ crops. :wink:

1 Like

It looks as if it does have a replaceable battery - and there’s a flashing light that should indicate if it has sufficient charge or not.
I think these are the instructions:
Garden timer instructions.pdf (1.5 MB)

1 Like

Bless you Brian - thanks for finding them.
Yes it does have the little light flashing.
And it looks as if I can change the battery but need to unscrew the battery compartment.

1 Like

The “24 hours” might not be super accurate - especially if the interval control is continuously variable.

1 Like

Thanks Billy. I’ll try again tonight but go an hour later and see whether it’s behaved itself in the meantime.

Just a thought… is there any way someone might have turned the water tap to “off”… ???

1 Like

Ah @stella, the obvious explanations are always the best :+1::smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the thought @Stella But no. I’ve managed to water both nights just by setting the timer to “on” so it flows through.
Thanks again @_Brian for the manual. I’m hoping I’ve sussed it. The manual says after you have set it “watering will start in 24 hours for X minutes” that was my clue. When I was trying to sort it out with my friends on the phone the watering was already on and I think the mechanism never properly registered the frequency.
Last night I switched it all off and started again according to the manual and sure enough, when I set it, it DIDN’T come on. I’m hoping when I go back there tonight I find that it HAS come on, 24 hours from when I set it.
Lesson to be learnt - don’t try and set up a watering system just as you are about to go out the door to get on a plane. Do it the day before. :grin:

1 Like