Architect recommendations for barn conversion in Gironde 33

Having shivered our way through last winter we are considering converting our 50m2 barn into a well insulated extension to our house and in doing so relocate the kitchen, lounge and creating another bedroom and bathroom.

The current barn is in a pretty poor state structurally so I am looking at knocking it down and rebuilding a new solid well insulated building - but will still appear to be a stone building with exactly the same footprint.

Does anyone have any recommendations for architects that may cover our area (St Emilion/Libourne/Castillon-la-Bataille area)

Thank you

1 Like

Hi Mat Have you considered engaging the services of a maitre d’œuvre in your local area? The Mairie should have some recommendations or local journals perhaps…
Our experience with a maitre d’œuvre was a good one with our project. He did the drawings, got the planning permissions in place and recommended suitable artisans for the work although we didn’t actually engage him to supervise the project (agreed at the start).

2 Likes

No suggestions, simply wanted to say how much I shall enjoy following your progress on this project…
photos will be required, on a regular basis… pretty-please.

6 Likes

Big difference between those project managers, clerk of works and an architect

@Corona oh, absolutely… but that said, a Md’O will be in concert with an architect with whom he has experience and on whom he can rely. Often, the Md’O will do the drawings to be signed off by the Architect (where required) where there is mutual trust and can work out cheaper all round.

2 Likes

Email now sent to Mairie - good idea.

1 Like

Don’t want to disappoint @Stella

Here is the starting point:

Currently just full of stuff that can be relocated (hopefully to the dechetterie!)

3 Likes

Oh yes… this is wonderful.
The mind just boggles at all the possibilities for this barn.

so the house will be over 150m2 when the conversion is done? Hence the need of an architect.

It will be very close to 150m2 - but I am keen for an architect for their design ideas as we will be knocking the barn down.

Have you talked to the mairie / planning department before you do anything? Just in case. We restored our cottage - we always intended to - and at the time we were told by the local planners if we’d wanted to knock it down they wouldn’t have let us. Nothing special about our cottage other than the fact that it’s 19th century stone built and at the bottom of the garden of a 350 year-old farmhouse.

1 Like

(I know Mat is aware of this.)
but I’m just mentioning it (yet again)… for those who might have missed these words of wisdom.

One would be best advised to discuss, in friendly fashion, one’s thoughts/plans… with the appropriate person at the Mairie… before starting and/or getting too carried away with any project (both in reality and in one’s head).
That includes property one is considering buying… as well as property one has bought.
Indeed, adverse reaction from the Mairie/Planning has caused more then a few to pull-out of a prospective Purchase.

4 Likes

The Miata looks very well :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

We have now appointed a Maître d’œuvre - he is now in the process of drawing up the plans, we have told him exactly what we want so he actually doesn’t have a great deal of design freedom!

2 Likes

It’s getting serious, plans are starting to appear.

6 Likes

Soon to be followed by the bills!

Oh, I shall be following this thread with great interest… I love this kind of stuff!

2 Likes

It is getting interesting:

Next quotes, then planning position.

4 Likes

The wall on the right looks a bit plain?

needs a Hilda Ogden “murial” perhaps :grin: