Are we reassured by today's Brexit agreement?

I won’t be reassured until the ink is dry on the final agreement, whenever that may be.

1 Like

Perhaps when Arlene Foster puts down her Guinness and reads the small print, she’ll want another £1bn in blood money to sign it off…
Until then, as you say, the deal aint done till the deal is done…

3 Likes

Still plenty of time for confusion and collapse.

2 Likes

Unfortunately I think there’s a lot of truth in this piece.
I especially cringed when I read this bit: “The EU official said of trade talks: “I read in the press that the cabinet has not yet discussed this matter … We need more information from the UK to really be able to engage.”

2 Likes

The Guardian is one of the most negative papers on the planet often quoting ‘sources’ rather than people that matter. Today’s announcement should be seen as a massive step forward and offer comfort to those fearing the worst.

3 Likes

It is a massive step forward. But it was long overdue.

1 Like

Here is a person who matters who doesn’t see it as a step forward.

Massive step forward? Its absolutely as expected, last minute agreement on agreeing on sometime having an agreement, dressed up to look like May got a bit of give and take out of the EU 27. She agreed to everything, might as well have done that on day one. The EU 27 were negotiating from a position of strength, the UK on the other hand were negotiating from a position of necessity.
I liked the EU wanted the ECJ to oversea EU nationals rights in the UK for ten years, May said five and they settled on eight, woopy doo.

4 Likes

It does seem that the EU have carried May through Phase 1 because Phase 1 was not really a negotiation, it was about looking at past agreements and past commitments and working out the fairest way of honouring them, so there shouldn’t really have been any great divergence. Obviously each side was looking after its own interests to make sure they didn’t get shafted but the bottom line was, everything underpinned by hard facts as set out in the various treaties and recorded decisions that both sides had access to (well goodness knows if the UK actually found, read and assimilated all those documents but if they didn’t that’s their fault). Phase 2 on the other hand going is to be the gloves-off negotiating phase. I honestly wonder whether May shouldn’t sent Arlene in to represent the UK, make her earn her bung. She’d probably do a better job than any of the Tories.

2 Likes

Sorry David, can’t really see that the thoughts of an insignificant ex “politician” matter to anyone.

2 Likes

A bit like Tim then.

So what has been achieved?
Nothing!
The gov has agreed to spend 39 billion on divorce.
This money is needed to help British people not satisfy the egos
of egocentric people and followers of Mrs May.
Do I feel safer…no.

1 Like

It ain’t over.
She’s won herself a little more time that’s all.

Now it gets difficult.

1 Like

And time runs out for everyone.

1 Like

The end of the world is nigh.

People need to get a grip, a large part of the £39 billion would have had to have been paid anyway being our ‘annual subs’ to be a club member.

1 Like

No nothing to do with annual sub’s, annual sub’s still have to be paid, now and during the transitional period.
There is no way round the Irish border question, it will go on for years and eventually end up out like Norway.
Maybe May should put the pub landlord in charge of negotiations, he would simply turn up, say “don’t want a deal, goodbye, that’s that sorted” or Dyson. He has no fear of tariffs, manufacture’s in the far east pays tariffs already.

1 Like

I have absolutely no faith in anything Theresa May or any Tory minister in this Government says. They are so outrageously right-wing that they have sold-out to people who support Trump (a fascist) and given the balence of power to the DUP. (neo-fascists)
How anyone can believe anything they say is beyond me.
The whole brexit campaign was financed by Farage stealing funds from the EU and managed via Cambridge Analytica. Supported by Breitbart News et al they are collectively the"alt right". Supported by Putin, They are a dangerous collective of right-wing billionaires and power-hungry nazis. Yes. Its all sad but true. And Theresa May was the first foreign dignitory after Farage to visit Trump. No i dont beleive anything they say.

8 Likes

one of the blokes who matter? His bullshit that he fed to the sheep is a big part of what put us in this crap in the first place…

1 Like

Would you like to provide evidence of your criticism of the Guardian. Most negative paper on the planet. Perhaps it just doesn’t chime with your view of the train smash that is Brexit.

2 Likes

Please read my post in context.

1 Like