Are we reassured by today's Brexit agreement?

I watched deluded Davis this morning with his Canada/Japan +++ super deal including service’s, obviously that’s never going to happen, Canadian/Japanese deal is as good as it gets or they will all want one.
What cracks me up with the deluded brexitaire lot is this continued illusion that the UK was doing just fine before it joined the EEC when obviously it was not, took twenty years and the other members of the EEC allowing the UK to be Europe’s centre of banking to catch up. London didn’t become the centre of Europe’s financial services system purely by chance, the rest of the EEC allowed it to save the uks economy. Fishing is another load of brexitaire rubbish. The UK’s fishing industry was in decline way before the UK joined the EEC, joining the EEC and the implementation of the CFP saved the UK’s fishing industry from extinction. Fishermen simply carry on fishing until there are no fish left.
Outside the EU the UK is simply another market that various countries businesses wish to sell in, produces nothing that most of the rest of the world cannot produce themselves. A deal like Canada’s or Japans would be a disaster for the UK’s economy that relies mainly on the service sector. 60 billion deficit in hard goods with the EU 27, 100 billion surplus in services, services which are very very rarely included in trade agreements. Without a deal on services and the loss of the financial services passporting rights the UK will more than likely see a quick outflowing of foreign investment followed by recession.
I’m still waiting for someone to show me the benefits of brexit, we have had all the fantasy but what actually are the benefits?

4 Likes

Well for Theresa May it brought her fame and fortune because without Brexit it’s unlikely she’d ever have become PM. Now she’s booked her place in history but whether history will remember her in the way she hoped, remains to be seen. What’s your bet?

2 Likes

For Theresa May yes Brexit has brought her to the limelight.
With her "great success"she has carried misery to so many.
For many of us here in France we have made a choice and
settled here leaving behind “security” which is inherited.
Who knows what the next few years bring for any of us.
What seems manageable now may not be so in a year or two on.
The extra lack of security does not help with mind body or spirit.

Life does not get easier as you get older.

Sorry for those who are struggling.
Not that sure if life would be better in UK.

2 Likes

https://www.politico.eu/article/theresa-may-its-not-about-hard-or-soft-brexit/
Alain’s comment posted on 12/11/17 | 9:04 AM CET made me laugh.
But seriously, how can DD, TM et al not be aware of how little credibility they have left in the eyes of most people in the EU? Don’t they care that they’re turning the UK into a laughing stock? If they knew and cared, surely they’d put their brains into gear before they start sounding off.

2 Likes

Of course not. Like Faridge, they are going to get gold bottomed pensions so why should they care a flying f*ck.

3 Likes

Its just a game, bit of fun, all goes pear shaped, won’t bother May, Gove, Fox, Davis or Johnson, just slide off under a rock and take the pension. Might even be enough space under the rock where Cameron’s hiding out. Mind you I think Weinstein is hiding under that rock as well, May might be better off looking for her own rock.

3 Likes

you are right…non chalont…all of them.

2 Likes

All a right bunch of chancers. Apparently May game to an agreement with the EU 27 Friday morning which is absolutely meaningless, agreed to agree on having an agreement sometime or other or even agreed not to agree sometime or other. All beginning to look a little like Game of Throne’s, May thinks she’s that delightful Cersei Lannister.

2 Likes

I really feel for you and your husband.

I hope it all works out and that you still continue to receive support.

I think it all comes down to how much work you have done here in the past.

2 Likes

Thank you Harry. I don’t think it is any clearer what will happen despite the “agreement” reached the other day. Davis, Johnson, May et al seem to just not give a sh*t about their own citizens. They should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves.

2 Likes

At the moment it looks as if the ‘deal’ is for the EU citizens in the UK and only for eight years. I don’t think the reciprocal side has been done yet has it? I may have missed it. Being in the EU was a life thing and not a renewable right every eight years, so where’s the advantage here for anyone?
Living and working EU countries won’t be banned to Brits. and it has never been suggested that it would, but things like Health Cover and Work practices, and probably even other insurances will still be needed by expats based permanently in the EU. It is even possible that you might be required to register as a Business as I doubt the old ‘entrepreneur system’ will stay in place for ‘foreigners’.
To work will definitely require a registration or notification on the Carte de Sejour as it used to be, and even that I recall from long ago had the note ‘the Bearer will not be a drain on the resources of the Country in any way’ or words to that effect. I don’t think getting the Carte will be any sort of problem here in France though, but it isn’t a replacement for being an EU Member citizen.
If you intend to manufacture anything here, well I think you will have to register a French Company and adhere to the EU Rules and Regulations.
So not being affected in ‘any way’ I think is optimistic, it’s just a yet unknown amount.

System has changed regarding third country nationals and self employment, business must be proven to be viable then you can register. Under the old system, third country nationals had a lot of difficulty becoming sole trader’s.

That will exclude all of those potentially looking at autoentrepreneur status then…still, it is better than say Switzerland where you apparently need to have a local Swiss shareholder in your share capital…

Having read the report published by the EU Commission after last Friday’s announcement, which serves as a FAQ memorandum, I am not particularly impressed at the total fudge it appears to have been on both sides of the table.

As the EU understands it, if we were already settled for at least 5 years:

• we will need to have a Titre de Séjour permanent;

• we will be able to move between other EU countries with a valid passport and the Titre de Séjour;

• we should be able to retire to another EU country than the one we are currently resident in;

• we should be able to move to another EU country for study, and, under certain conditions, for work - note however, that this part is subject to conditions (the preliminary agreement covers transfrontier workers) - visiting other EU states for work will be limited to 90 days stay per 180 day period - the EU report also mentions conditions under a Directive for allowing highly skilled workers to move countries for reasons linked to work (I need to look this one up, but am guessing that it concerns executive jobs, legal and medical professions) - this is the weakest part of the deal as far as I’l concerned.

I haven’t looked at issues of family repatriation, as I don’t think that will ever be a conceivable issue for me.

1 Like

Right Jo,
Even mi5 agent collaborated to the outcome. Farage banked by Aaron Bank and EU money from his salary. The man is a rottweiler barking at Blair, Brown, Merkel Sarkozy Hollande…even if the buffoon role is entertaining. What is the electoral Commission doing about foreign interference? Poutine is marginal . The Americans did most of the job. They cant stomach UK being sucked up in the EU as they own UK. The UK tax heavens they use are too precious to lose.And the EU goes for the jugular now re tax heavens.
Because of tax heavens the states of Europe plunge us in austerity. Economic data are distorted etc. The EU wants law and order. But a list of the rogues doing that does not go far enough. Think of the poverty inflicted on the youngsters. They are entitled to rebel after all…

1 Like