Are you really ready to be "French"?

Maybe Corson is away for the weekend and will respond in due course.

James

Chuckle!!

Yoho yoho ... look at this on his profile:

Nationality
Dual French & American

So, you're not an EX-American. Still hanging on to your oh-so-hated American nationality, just in case, Corson?

Thththththaaaat's all, folks. For me, it is.

Foolish, Silly and Simplistic. Not a very European attitude and just for the record I love France and England the French and English. Not so different not so different at all!!

I suggested we allow it to dwindle and given that one of the other strings has gone off into whether or not MacDonalds do whatever it seems to have outlived itself. Corson is probably sitting back smugly looking at his work but without the nerve or nouse to close it himself. Bon dimanche!!

Yes, I have and it doesn't surprise me. It's normal for what I tenderly call 'sh*tkickers'. It is also the reason why I will not even answer his silly question.

Sure, look a few entries back to both Kendal and myself...

As regards McDonalds’…it’s just part of the inciduous American take over of the world! How they persuade whole nations to eat cardboard is beyond me!
In Mauritius, a 720 square mile dot in the Indian Ocean, most young folk will happily spend half a days wage or more to look “cool” eating McDonalds,Burger King and KFC swilled down with coke! I give up!

ER no Zoe fraid not....KFC and Subway to name 2 others

Anyone realised how noticable Corson is, by his absence?

Except Janet, that say aeroplane to me (and many like me) and I get twitchy, aggitated and do not want to go. When they invent the kind of things in science fiction that get you there instantly (well after my time in every sense though) it will really be a pleasure.

Got to the point where it looks like the topic is (French) fried!

McDo is the ONLY fast food joint here, that's part of it, there's no hungry jack's, taco bell, or burger king. Also, with the sheer volume of "foreigners" here, they see mcDo as a famaliar taste.

When I want a burger, i make it myself, and when I want take away, i get a kebab

Not sure the "working class" one is a good idea but will have a look when we get back from my kids' nièce's birthday party later ;-)

France, the largest consumer of McD's outside the USA.

The man credited with establishing McD's in France is Jean-Pierre Petit CEO of McDonald’s France and Division President of the Southern Division for McDonald’s Europe.

McD's initially rejected by the French in the mid 80's has now been culturaly accepted because the basic ingredients are produced here, therefore the French can accept it as their own.

Nothing to do with the original post but hey...

Bon dimanche!

And please continue on the 'working class' one too!

I know where you're both coming from, we both work and our 2 and 4 year old keep us on our toes!

Bon dimanche !

Hello Corson,

I'd say there seems to be some irony in a , by definition, multi-cultural individual being so strongly integrationist. Speaking as a supporter of multi-culturalism, I would say that one of the best things about the UK is the enrichment that an acceptance of cultural differences gives to a society. Even if you decide to reject everything about your origins, they're still a part of you. I'm not on this site very often but my impression is that there's a whole range of perspectives here, but maybe you've come across a different selection of input than I have. I've met a few Americans and a lot of them don't conform to the stereo-type. I don't think they're a society that needs to be rejected out of hand. A lot of French people have actually assimilated a lot of the best, (and worst) of US culture! Has McD's enriched French cuisine?? (discuss)

:)

Angela

Ditto Tracy, my wife is our main breadwinner nowadays and I, in my 60s, with two young daughters share what you say. Bet we are also both first up as well!

Sorry Kendal, but back then, different language, different cultures, different foods. Remember that the US is a mishmash of european settlers, but over here, you can go 100kilometres up the road, and you're in another world.

When I was in paris at first, I did fall into the irish pub trap, but fast realised that this was a group of small,closed minded people, who got english speaking people to do all their business, bidding, and bitching. boasting about how they never "had to" speak french, and so, didn't learn.As soon as I started working,and making freinds, i realised that seeking out people BECAUSE they spoke the same language as me was not going to lead to a very rich life.culturally, but also mentally. I COULD sit in bars all day, complaining about how long the queue in the post office was,and throw in a few jibes about "the French" but I prefer to just shrug it off, cash my cheque, grab a baguette on the way home, and have dinner.

I never get yelled at here, except once when I was crossing the road and a man nearly run me down, and I shouted "connard", and he stopped, got out, and yelled until I'd rounded the corner. If every second man you pass is yelling at you, I think that makes YOU the common denominator, becase that's the first I heard of it. Are you walking through market stalls when this happens??lol.

It's the disrespect, and generalisations people make about "the French" that bother me, I think. I mean, people will come here, boast to the folks back home about the great wine, the cheese, the beaches, the mountains, the health system, but when it comes to the PEOPLE providing all that, it's another story.