Are you still smitten with France?

I agree totally but not every one expects anything more than something to fill their tummy.

When we can, we look for the the “white-van” brigade.

Their presence in the car-park can be almost taken as a badge of approval. If the local workforce eat in a restaurant, it will be good… never let us down yet. :relaxed:

2 Likes

You can certainly find some excellent venues by this approach. You also know that value for money will be good.

Have you tried this link: Routiers Website

I have considered using this website for all of our stops as we drive down through France - but I do have a tendency to fall asleep after such a meal which isnt great whilst at the wheel - no matter how refreshed you feel after!

1 Like

We had no cooking facilities at first, so went to the nearest white-van venue. How they could down all that glorious food and wine… hic… and go back to work… I have no idea. We found that we could do nothing more, until early evening, when we came to… :wink:

and, yes, excellent link… the Routier restaurants are always good value and good fun.

1 Like

@Stella we followed your tactic today after visiting Chateau de Chaumont near Tours on the way down through France.

The Chateau and the gardens were excellent but the on site restaurants had either formal dining or baguette - we had the dog with us so formal dining was out, so we left the Chateau. On the banks of the Loire on the way back to Tours I spotted a whiteboard at the side of the road listing Menu du Jour & a couple of white vans parked there- quickly turned the car around. The place looked a right mess from the outside but being somewhat more intrepid with my French now I popped in to see what it was like and if we could bring the dog in. The staff were very friendly and it was absolutely no problem with the dog.

This was from the outside:

I was gobsmacked when I walked through the door as it turned out to be a restaurant in a cave:

The food was excellent buffet starter, fish or lasagne and a choice of many desserts or cheese, with coffee and wine for the normal 15-20 euros - all served in less than an hour.

My wife to a shine to the carafe of rose wine and read on the carafe the name of the wine (unusual for it to be there). Driving back into Tours to continue the journey my wife spotted the vineyard where the rose was from - 5 minutes later and a quick tasting to check it was the same wine, an already overladen car had to cope with 12 more bottles!

The white van venue certainly worked this time.

3 Likes

Smitten, Oh Yes! :+1: :grin:

Hi Mat … did you pick up a business card or receipt with the full name and address (something) of the restaurant??

I’ve can’t find it on Mappy (probably just me, but…)

Always on the lookout for somewhere different to eat and this place looks and sounds just great.

:relaxed:

We are worried about our local restaurants as three of them are for sale.
One has already closed.
Another which has remained open has lost its front of house and the whole atmosphere has changed, plus I was extremely ill after eating frozen moules there.

Oh dear… that’s not good Jane…

re the moules… do you know what the Restaurant did wrong? Frozen moules should not (in themselves) be a cause for tummy upsets etc… :thinking:

@Stella

The restaurant was called Le Pied dans le Plat

It is near Amboise along the Loire from Tours.

This was the frontage (not great looking from outside!) :

I shall note it down… always like to have an idea of where to eat, depending on which part of France we are visiting/passing…

cheers

The only restaurant in our village closed a while ago. Only 2 choices for each course and the menu price was 12€ in the evening. The last meal I had there was a starter of charcuterie followed by the ubiquitous steak frites with haricot verts and finishing with isles flottant. Glass of wine included in the price. It was delicious. Sadly they haven’t been able to sell the business so have been selling all the equipment. The building, just a very large house really, is on the market as a home.

It’s a shame because it was usually busy, especially in the summer with a campsite nearby.

That really is very cheap and makes you wonder if the restaurant would have been viable at 15 euros each.

1 Like

You’d be surprised… if the Chef does home-made it can be delicious but still cheap.

Our best years… the mid-day menu was 10 euro for 5 courses, coffee, wine… :yum:

1 Like

We have a very good popular, thriving one near us, 'Moulin de Celac at Questembert, excellent lunch time menu/ food 12€ :yum:

Are we still smitten with France ?? Resounding YES…

Things have changed over the years… as all things must… but we still love it and hope we have enough years ahead of us…:relaxed: as there is just so much to see and do… so many plans to make and hopefully fulfil :sunglasses::grinning::relaxed:

3 Likes

Not sure why they closed Mat, whether they were just moving away or the business failed or they retired. I just know they couldn’t sell the business.

It was great value for money despite the limited menu. I would have been happy to pay a little more.

1 Like

It is very difficult for resto business to change hands… unless they are within a “chain”…at least such is our experience…

1 Like

I didn’t realise that. It was a lovely family business. They lived above “the shop” and there was a wonderful outdoor terrace overlooking the valley. A lovely spot to eat on summer evenings.

with such crazy low prices…ingredients,working effort, local taxes, utility bills and then year tax.
Simple answer only if they are doing 300 covers like the restaurant I know near St Emilion. Can you do it for that price at home? No not if you take every thin g into account.