Are you still smitten with France?

wait your telling me the earhth isnt flat???

3 Likes

Not uncomfortable - just nuts. No investigation required.

2 Likes

Document on NASA’s own website…1966 talking about weather modification and cloud seeding… (multi million dollar budgets even back then)

If the war on Iraq was ranked as a country in terms of annual emissions then it would emit more CO2 than 139 of the world’s nations…The war each year emitted more than 60% of all countries on the planet…

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19680002906.pdf

ok Geoff you have won the match 1/0 .Next round , no as you might have noticed i am not a scientific person at all. Many thanks for your opinion and facts.

I think Simon just summed it up nicely : ‘no investigation required’.
this is how the majority of folk live their lives and why they cannot consider anything outisde of what they get from the BBC et al.
Anyway, I fear that this thread has deviated well outside of what I intended in my original post so I think I will pull out now. However, if anyone wishes to open a new post to discuss where we have got to here, I will be more than happy to contribute.Regards to all
geoff

1 Like

Can’t wait…:stuck_out_tongue:

https://youtu.be/nMNZU3oqX3U

1 Like

Whilst i still love living here, & running our B&B business, a lot of what you say rings true with me too. Sometimes I get so frustrated with the restaurants here & their bizarre opening times & lack of imagination in the menus. The food is great…but its always the same things! The problem with the French IMHO is that they are so set in their ways & will not even try to change. Mind you I have no desire to reurn full time to the UK either so they must be doing something right methinks :slight_smile:

yes Christine, I think ‘stuck in their ways’ is the main problem I have with it all. We join in everything and help with events - but gave up a long time ago trying to inject some new ideas for fear of being branded a ‘whinging pom’ ! Now we just go along and help. Some time ago the Mayor suggested I might like to be a councilor - the token Brit I guess - but after much thought I decided that I would be the man in the middle and appreciated by neither the established locals nor the Brits who would expect me to get things sorted. I decided to play the role of active guest in ‘their’ village instead.

Don’t get me wrong, we are happy here and can think of no place we would want to relocate to, but as one contributor said earlier - it is ok to complain.

cheers

geoff

yes geoff the future for our grandchildren is a worry. we have 16 grandchildren and when i look around me i am delighted to see our children and SIL manage quite well bringing up our loved ones our charming grandchildren

I don’t understand your comments about the restaurants. The restaurants that I use are open when I need them to be open, during meal times, and I chose the restaurants I eat in by what they have on their menu and return if I enjoy their cooking. In general the restaurants that my friends and I use cook traditional food excellently. There is nothing wrong with that. If I want a particular foreign meal I know where to go but in general my longer trips are to the good traditional restaurants serving great French food.

2 Likes

It may be where you live Christine.
We have some innovative restaurants of excellent quality here. I have given the link of just one of them here. The couple who built this house and restaurant themselves ( yes it’s made from natural materials) are the tops. I have eaten there with groups of friends and one can wander all round the garden and see what is being picked and prepared fresh before you. The plates are refined and decorated with edible flowers. Henri and Beatrice then join you for an evening of music, guitar and songs where everyone is encouraged to take part. I live in the real rural centre of France, if it can happen here, then why not elsewhere ?

1 Like

For me, eating out here is a pleasure we can afford, with interesting affordable menus, maybe we are just lucky in Morbihan :wink:

1 Like

This is the carte from one of the restaurants I use which shows a range of imiganitive dishes. I usually eat from one of their menus which offer completely different but still interesting dishes. No lack of imagination here.
They two have their own garden alongside their terrace where many of their herbs, garnishes and other produce are grown.

2 Likes

Come on folks - your experiences may be different to Christine’s but that doesn’t invalidate her experiences and views. There is a ‘mild’ implication that she’s wrong - well that’s just not so :wink: It’s great that you all have lovely restaurants offering varied menus - she’s just told you she doesn’t. Nothing to understand…

Here in the deep South, my biggest bug bear isn’t necessarily about choice (we’ve got Toulouse for that!!) it’s about the fact that food that’s supposed to be hot is rarely served hot, on a hot plate. I realise this is a ‘first-world’ issue but it bugs me. (same thing with hot drinks that aren’t!!)

1 Like

I did say, “maybe we are just lucky”.
No lack of variety or imagination here :slightly_smiling_face:

i hear that. there is 1 restraunt here that i ring true for this, same menu all the time and the food is not great.

Other places the menu changes and im always suprised when I go in at the selection although I have the menu told to me im the same every time stake very rare no salad and whatever else comes on the plate be it veg and chips etc but no boiled potatos. they know me well.

when i go in and its boiled spuds ill find i have a plate of chips done for me especially.

1 Like

Still “smitten” with France after living here for 20 years.

Restaurants change. Generations growing up also change the culture to some degree particularly with the influence of the anglophone world.

No regrets about moving here, and no intention of going back to the UK, or anywhere else in the EU for that matter.

Grahame in the Aude.

2 Likes

Hi again Geoff. Your experiences are very like ours I think. My husband was on our Amical Laique committee for a few years - others note please that we are very integrated into our local commune, very well liked & the feeling is mutual as we still love living here. He gave up trying to suggest stuff as they did things the way they had always done them! We now have a new young committee here who are starting to have new ideas & that is great. As for the restaurants, we have a good choice here - extremely good seeing as we are in a very rural place - & our B&B & gite visitors are always happy with our recommendations. The food is great (as I said before) but the menus dont change much. This is good, if you are a visitor here or on holiday, but sometimes Id just like a better choice. We too are very happy here, have many friends here & know the locality( & its eateries) very well.

Steak and chips is ok…had it at home last night with a sauce and some broccoli but going to a restaurant is a little bit of an adventure for me. Well I hope it will always be.Trying a different place just outside St Emilion this week. Need to find places to recommend to clients.No the cooking here is not as good as it could be. Not a problem about prices but a lot of pre cooked foods used and not a great deal of skill and imagination in many restaurants.

If a restaurant does not cook with skill and imagination there is no need to visit it more than once.

2 Likes