Are you still smitten with France?

thank you Helen All my best wishes for your daughter and your family

1 Like

You are then a true blow-in Bill.:

1 Like

:rofl: Never thought of that David :+1:

“the comments of one who wants to return to the UK to live…”
France, or “returning to the UK” are not the only options. That’s a false dichotomy. The last time I looked there were more countries on the planet than just those two. However, I constantly find with British immigrants that this is how things are viewed, and it is even built into their linguistic choices: they talk of “coming over” or “going back,” as if - notwithstanding family ties and the long panoply of reasons they have for explaining this dichotomy - somehow those were the only two countries they have been allowed to live in.

4 Likes

I can agree to a certain extent but in the grand scheme of things there are no “countries”…there are no “borders”…the migratory birds don’t ever ask for permission or need passports to cross ethereal and man made borders…nor the fish…to them there is no such thing as a “country”…they don’t know about false jurisdiction and the corruption in the judicial system and the financial slavery system…I do care about what’s happening in my home country as my kids and grandkids and my mom and my partener are still there and therefore I’ll probably never stop caring…I have family in Canada and New Zealand and Australia…there is nothing about those “countries” that makes me want to even visit let alone live in them…Yes there are more than two “countries”…and I am also acutely aware that innocent people in many of those “countries” are being annihilated…a relative of Ahed Tamimi was shot dead on 6th June…he was 21…

1 Like

If the minor French irritations ever became too much for me, all I would have to do is spend a few weeks in the UK, and they would fade into insignificance. I’m about to take a holiday in Devon, quaint, pretty, far less welcoming to incomers from elsewhere in the UK, let alone the EU. Many pretty cottages done-up at great expense, by people who only use them at weekends, and who come with a boot full of food so don’t need to use local shops. Aggressive and selfish driving, clogged-up roads. No, French life is far less irritating than England, we have moved to the right country. However, paint is cheaper in B&Q than in Leroy Merlin!

2 Likes

Interesting comments on this subject :blush:
I will never leave France
Love this country
My life is definitely here :heart:

1 Like

I wonder if France has the biggest sales of ‘rose-tinted glasses’?

6 Likes

In a nutshell, yes, even though France never gave me any opportunities to stay, despite superhuman efforts to do so. I just don’t want to let go, even though I’m grieving the loss of my ancestral homeland. Will I be back one day? It’s unlikely, as going back to NZ had taken every cent I had and am still unemployed here. Plus the situations that necessitated my leaving at the end of last year have not changed. I just feel sad all the time but… since France is essential to my well-being I have decided to try to create a little French-inspired home in a semi-rural urban area near Christchurch in New Zealand’s South Island. I’m only an hour’s drive from Akaroa- the French settlement of 1840. I’m turning one of my bedrooms into a French-styled BnB so one day I could have a tiny income, I make efforts to find ways to speak French as often as possible and to read French magazines. I tutor a high school student on her French studies and I look at the more than 20,000 photos I took in France and blogged about. Would I come back? Yes, if the man and the finances permitted it. I am still a proud citizen of France but the clock is very much ticking.

1 Like

Well nearly 12 years here amongst the vines and receiving paying guests for 11 years …well still want to be here and enjoy most things about the country.
The weather is a global problem and the same for the woes of the world.
I am not willing to complain about Macron.

B arbara Nobody is asking you to complain about Macron ! he doesn’t create the sun and the rain but is doing his best to make France great again.

2 Likes

That is what I think. He is working hard.

2 Likes

after many replies to my initial post I must say I have enjoyed them immensly. however …just to set the cat amongst etc… I need to reply to Carol re her las post : you are wrong Carol, Macron along with the other world leaders - under the guise of their militaries, DO in fact control the weather. It is called geoengineering and has been going on for years. This stupid experiment they are currently carrying out is there for all to see and is ruining our planet. Simply look up at the sky from time to time and ask yourself - is this what I used to draw as a child when I was at school? - all those lines which morph into the grayness we see all around us. We must learn to believe our eyes and loose our cognitive dissonance.
For those who want to see : www.geoengineeringwatch.org is a good place to start.
regards
geoff

1 Like

We all influence the climate, but this suggestion may be going a bit far. As always you are free to believe what you believe.

2 Likes

FFS Geoff - it’s called Easyjet and Ryanair and all the other low cost, mass transport airline carriers that were not around when you were at school. The lines are called contrails or condensation trails - nothing more.

Get a grip man…and simply open your eyes! :-:stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue:

Just take a look at the flights currently over France:

3 Likes

Not with you on that one Mat - my worry is that ridiculous, conspiracy theory comments about climate change poison young minds. Crikey - someone will tell me the Earth is flat next…:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Simon - I am pretty balanced on this, I was commenting that we all influence climate change just each by infinitely small amounts. Butterfly effect etc.

Do you not think that the global climate is changing? -( just a direct question nothing more)

1 Like

Mat - no doubt at all - the global climate is changing - totally with you on that.

My comment was more about your willingness to accept that

I disagree with that when, ‘what you believe’ is barking mad and may adversely influence young minds. Some folks making conspiracy theory comments about aircraft contrails have children and grandchildren - I fear for them (the kids).

2 Likes

Ahhh that makes a bit more sense.

Live and let live - I am happy for people to think whatever they want so long as they don’t bang on about it.

1 Like

yes, I fear for my grandchildren, and I am sure those of you who are unwilling to look outside the mainstream have reached your conclusions by taking the time & effort to invesigate what I am suggesting rather than just refusing to accept it as a possibility because it is too uncomfortable.