Art news

Warhol collection auctioned for $17millioN

Over 350 works by Andy Warhol have fetched more than $17m (£10.7m) at auction in New York

The auction house, Christie's said the sale saw big demand for the photographs and prints with many exceeding their high estimates, including Self-Portrait in Fright Wig, estimated to fetch between $12,000 (£7,500) and $18,000 (£11,340), but eventually selling for $50,000 (£31,497).

Other works include Endangered Species: San Francisco Silverspot, which made more than $1.2m (£750,000) and Jackie, a screen print and paper collage of Jacqueline Kennedy sold for just over $626,000 (£394,000) - more than double the estimate.

Royal College of Art 175th anniversary

Royal College of Art’s 175th anniversary unearths student work by the cream of British art aristocracy

Most artists have gone through phases they’d probably wish to forget. This is fine if you can destroy the accompanying work or leave it languishing in an attic somewhere; much less so if it belongs to one of the country’s most prestigious colleges.

So the great and good of British art have cause for concern this month as the Royal College of Art delves into the archives to celebrate its 175th anniversary. Artists as diverse as Edward Bawden, Bridget Riley, Chris Ofili and Dame Barbara Hepworth have all had connections to the college over the years and will be featured in a new exhibition that explores its rich heritage. The Perfect Place to Grow will include final year paintings by Sir Peter Blake and David Hockney, as well as a rare early Lucian Freud portrait.

The Perfect Place to Grow: 175 Years of the Royal College of Art runs from 16 November to 3 January 2013 at The Royal College of Art, London SW7. www.rca.ac.uk

Mushroom just not my scene, man.

I've got two limited edition classic Wahol Campbell soup tins, (complete with soup, mushroom I think one's started to leak slightly), any offers?