At home in France - Running costs

No, Richard, I haven't. We had a quote once for a wood pellet boiler. It was going to be 12k for the boiler, 6k for the pellet silo and assorted bits, and 12k for the installation of radiators. Also it was at the time when we were going to be renting the house out, so... we went electric. The payback period was too long to make it worthwhile.

Sounds good, but when you’re married to “une femme des iles”, you have to bite the bullet and pay. After our first winter in France, I was given the ultimatum " either we bring the central heating up to scratch, or we go back to the UK".
I’ve spent 40 years sitting in my shorts whilst my wife puts on another jumper! Our 2 daughters have inherited this gene, too! Our central heating has only got 2 settings…October and June!
Consequently we now spend the worst 10 weeks of the winter in Mauritius, and it’s reversed. I’m fighting to keep the air conditioning on!

Regarding tax rebates on wood pellet boilers, my experience was that the price of these system immediately jumped by (guess what?) the amount of the tax rebate. So in the end one gains nothing, that benefit goes elsewhere.