At what age can you add "Grumpy old" to your gender?

Nice one, the Velvets, Brian. Could try "Ruben & The Jets" from Zappa too. Perso, a good "Best of The Clash" does me fine.

"What are we gonna do now?
Taking off his turban, they said, is this man a Jew?
'Cause they're working for the clampdown
They put up a poster saying we earn more than you!
When we're working for the clampdown
We will teach our twisted speech
To the young believers
We will train our blue-eyed men
To be young believers

The judge said five to ten, but I say double that again
I'm not working for the clampdown
No man born with a living soul
Can be working for the clampdown
Kick over the wall 'cause government's to fall
How can you refuse it?
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

The voices in your head are calling
Stop wasting your time, there's nothing coming
Only a fool would think someone could save you
The men at the factory are old and cunning
You don't owe nothing, so boy get running
It's the best years of your life they want to steal

You grow up and you calm down
You're working for the clampdown
You start wearing the blue and brown
You're working for the clampdown
So you got someone to boss around
It makes you feel big now
You drift until you brutalize
You made your first kill now..."

And so on :)

Blimey, sounds like going out on a Saturday night in Preston fifty year ago :)

*nods wisely*

Plus hooch in their bellies, driving either vast 4x4s or rickety old white vans.

True enough David. I've got to the stage wit people now where i'm almost looking for some verbal aggro ! It's a kind of Clint situation where i'm thinking to myself "ok punk, make my day" and sod the consequences !

Blimey, sounds a right 'to do' !

That would have made normally ungrumpy folk well, grumpy...

Saying that, hunters are a special breed in France and I reserve the right to generalise ! I'm amazed there aren't more tragic accidents looking at some of the lunatics with a gun in their possession !

It doesn't help when your MP (a minister!) tells you she's not very interested in retired expats as most of her constituents are young ambitious people working in London! So that's that then! Maybe I've always been grumpy but the glass was always half full, now it's clearly half empty and one's approach deteriorates. It's not so important not to tread on people's toes any more.

Down the way somebody radioed to say there was a group of walkers on the yellow way marked path, so the man below the tower I was on parked his 4x4 across it so that they would need to go round it into tractor tracks almost literally knee deep in mud and water. He then had a pee in the water and said something about having prepared the path for them. He radio ahead to get his mates to block the paths. They were in a particularly foul mood because we are at the meeting point of three associations. We could hear shots in both other hunt territories but over here a couple of shots had apparently been fired to clear crows, then they missed, and nothing else. So they were GRUMPY!!!!

Nowt wrong with a bit of Hot Rats to get it out of the system. I did the same in the car on saturday with a full-blast rendition of I'm Going Home by Ten Years After (Woodstock album).It's one of those 'better out than in' moments ! Anyway,why should hunters make you angry ?

All this grumpiness had me listening to Velvet Underground and Frank Zappa - Hot Rats - yesterday evening, just to relive the tension of my couple of hours out with the hunters and how I was getting so cross I had to desist from throwing the SW radio set at one of them.

Say no more......

They most certainly did, at the Vale of Lune Rugby Club in my case.

A propos d'Ena Sharples . When I were nobbut a lad I was a contestant on the Wilfred Pickles radio show "Have a go Joe" recorded at the Clipstone Miners Welfare Hall. Violet Carson who went on to play Ena was one of the acts, singing and accompanying herself on the piano accordeon. A vision in pale blue silk dress.As the youngest participant Pickles offered me three wishes. I wished for a set of dominoes, an electric toaster and an elephant. I got the dominoes from whom I know not and I also got the toaster from a lady in,I think, Llandudno, sadly I never got the elephant though I think Barney on the table, "give him the money Mabel " also gave me the money. Plus a very kind BBC sound engineer found my raincoat which had got lost in the media scrum. Thus began a continuing infatuation with the stage.

The locomotive that fell off the railway viaduct sticks in my memories, oh and Elsie Tanner, there were plenty like her around Preston in the 50s & 60s !

Some of its appeal to us was probably because we lived in the exact same terrace streets, like Beasley Street here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37QUUwp9xIs

By my old mate John Cooper-Clarke (a Salford lad), here's the words, mighty :

http://www.cyberspike.com/clarke/beasley.html

Great link Ian, loads of memories there. I recall the day the flats burned and Val and the twins were killed as well as Deirdre being married to Ray etc CS was/is popular even on the east coast.Probably more interesting for my ma who spent the war years in St Helens after being evacuated from our front-line town.

Funnily enough neither of my parents were at all grumpy so I don't know where I get it from ?

Martha Longhurst, Peter. Many a shawlie widda supped Mackies around my way in the 50s, rightly deemed a health-supporter!

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0030058/bio

Goold old Ena and her mate Minnie Caldwell in the Snug (who was the other lady ?)

As it happens my granny was prescribed a Mackeson a day by the family doctor a couple of years before she passed away in the early '70s. Her doc deemed it better than any drug around at the time !

*menacing glower* Wha' thy gor aginst ower Mavis then Pete?

Remember Ena Sharples and her Mackeson milk stout?

'Occasional' meaning they were occasionally not young ladies also ?

Real ladies in Norfolk who supp G & Ts, Pimms & Babychams only ! Not like yer Mavis Birtwhistle from Burnley or yer Pearl Higgins from Putney !

Cor, my Stiefel (beer boot) used to be used by the occasional young lady. In the UK I have seen a number of them put down a litre in one, best bitter rather than the German gnat's stuff. Mind you, the state of them after...