At what age can you add "Grumpy old" to your gender?

Sure mate, I have no option anyway. Mind you, I can still pack a couple of new ones in over the next few years as long as I am working.

They do indeed, or did, Peter :)

A lady doesn't 'supp pints' Ian.

Well, maybe they do in Lancs !

Denis Law ; the ultimate.

Of course had that Small Faces haircut like everyone else at that time :)

You're supposed to pass the match period lazily supping pints and commenting the weather, the other spectators, and any other topic of the day, Celeste, instead of watching paint dry !

Nepal sounds an experience but that's been and gone for you. I have similar feeings about never seeing or doing things again from the past especially during the heady '70s when I saw much of the world but these things should stay in the past. Don't try to relive them, just enjoy the memories and look forward to future adventures

No, apart from Kathmandu where the pollution is foul hanging fog and there is occasional political disturbance, it is a peaceful, friendly country. The Hinduism there is completely coloured by Buddhism, it being where Siddhārtha Gautama was born, thus even temples shared. The people believe in peace above all, with exception of the Gorkhas in the SW. The Himalayas are a dream, to see such vast mountains and then be in small towns and villages in the valleys. Lucky lady. Makes me grumpy realising it is another of the too many places I will never visit again :-(

Sounds a fascinating if not frightening place to be Brian. Apart from the 'general' nursing side of things an important part of her work will be communication with the younger females giving advice on 'female' matters including birth control and contraception etc which are subjects still fairly taboo in the more remote areas apparently.

I was in Lalitpur, based in Patan, tell her to visit. The Durbar (temple district in the centre) is where I was based with Child Workers in Nepal (who work with...) for three months right on the edge of the Durbar. I think that along with Angkor Wat in Cambodia it is the most beautiful and spiritual places I have ever been to and three months research based there was a privilege. I saw lots of cricket there between local teams.

I think I was told football is number one and cricket the number two sport. My ladyfriend's youngest, a student nurse now doing exams is off to Nepal in a few weeks time for six weeks as part of her coursework. She and another will accompany a doctor to a hill-station infirmary about a six hour drive from Kathmandu . Sounds fun !

In fact, Nepal where I have also worked, they are cricket fanatics.

You would be amazed at the countries who are members of the ICC. Without using wiki countries like Afghanistan, Nepal , Denmark & Japan et al have fine cricket teams.

I recall about 25 years ago being part of a GB team who played a France XI in Charentes. The hosts were bowled out TWICE for 21 runs in total !!!

Some footie legends in that list ! I recall watching the late great Peter Osgood when he played for Norwich City at the end of his career. He was still awesome !

I am not a cricket lover but I saw a day of a lesser test match in Buenos Aires when Ireland beat Argentina bit over 20 years ago. People forget how many countries actually do have teams, why even France does (hahahahahahahaha!)

Memories. Law asked me who I supported, so I said Chelsea. He went off on one about the greatest football crime ever when Dave Sexton did not play Tommy Baldwin, Peter Bonetti, Alan Hudson and Peter Osgood for the New Year's Day game 1974, sold Ozzie and Hud and then got the Shed relegated at the end of that season. It was a dozen or so years later, that he recalled it as well, in minute detail. Mind you, I agreed. Real football man and grumpy at that.

The Irish have some fine players like the dutch and indeed the current England One Day International captain is from Dublin (Eoin Morgan). Ten of the present Irish squad play in the County Championship which is a good indication of the quality players available to them.

An old mate of mine who played at the highest level for a few years and then went down the leagues has a series of three photos involving him and Denis the Menace. They are his pride and joy as they hold so many great memories. He also played against my no.1 footie hero Greavsie and actually had to mark him (poor sod) in one game. He says his team (Wolves) were winning two nil at WHL and my mate was happy to have kept Greavesie at bay. For some unknown reason he was told by his manager Stan Cullis at HT to "push forward to get the third goal to seal it" - this unfortunately left Greavesie unmarked whilst pushing up and he went on to score twice to get his team the draw !

RIP indeed, I met Denis Law at a fundraising do for Football Aid when they decided to give money to street children's football teams in South America. He was as grumpy as hell, dour as only we lot can be, saying that fitba' in Scotland needed it to get the kids playing let alone countries we'd eventually buy those kids from to keeps ours going, more or less as you are saying behind that.

We seriously need to limit overseas players in the prem to improve the level of the England team. This can't happen of course I mean, who would be stupid enough to put a stop to such a money-spinning circus ? It's sad when you look at the team-sheets and need to look twice to find a home-grown English footballer !

Scottish football - RIP

Many cite the revolution in Scottish society and living habits as the main reasons for such a rapid decline in fortunes. Many highly intelligent souls take it right back to basics and specify the main reason is the lack of kids putting their coats down for goals and playing in the streets ! Selling off of playing fields and computer games get their share of the blame too. Kids just aren't motivated enough when other distractions take priority it seems. Sad for me when I reflect that many of my footy heroes ie Mackay, Souness, Gilzean, Law and Jimmy Bone et al are all from north of the border !

1 Like

Steven Gerrard, Gareth Bale, Wayne Rooney and even John Terry. It would need a scuba event for those four.