At what rate are human activities disrupting our landscapes?

There’s a new “tool” which helps us to check things out…

@graham I did click on Environmentalism first of all… but wasn’t sure… thanks for making the change :+1: :+1: shows I should stick with my first instinct… :wink:

1 Like

seemed appropriate to my way of thinking… I’d have PMd you but that option isn’t available in your case…

It was the “alism” bit that gave me pause for thought… :roll_eyes: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sorry to be serious, but it’s one of my subjects so I have to respond!

The following isn’t a value judgement, but it is a definition of landscape that frequently eludes people.

Technically ‘landscape’ is a human cultural product, usually the result of centuries or millennia of settlement and change. Landscapes are palimpsests of successive generations of human occupation often consisting of partially erased layers of change: their opposite is wilderness (and worldwide there have been very few of these).

2 Likes

Looking at the small picture here, our area was historically farmland with a chateau and attached village established ~300 years ago. Over the years the village has extended. My 300 year old farmhouse is now in the middle of the village.

Thing is, all this development, with stone terraces, pools and garages leaves very little open space for rain drainage. A recent overnight storm resulted in water entering several village houses. Men came to clean out all the street drains the following day.

Big picture - The climate seems seems to be sending us more extremes, I hope we can adapt.

must confess the link… baffles me… but I thought someone might be able to explain it… and/or find it interesting…

Yesterday I parked in an Intermarché’s recently extended car park and noticed that it had been surfaced with porous webbing rather than tarmac in order to reduce run-off.

1 Like

This is so good.

Actually, the UK has the same problems with flooding to surrounding areas being caused by those large container parks that have covered the fields without allowing adequate camber or drainage.

Our neighbour here in la Belle France is a maison secondaire belonging to a German cardiologist who was home in Bremen when his ground floor flooded in the storm. only discovered days later by the housekeeper. Sofas not happy.

The Italians seem to be doing supermarket parking spaces in kind of raised honeycomb concrete , (straight down to earth - and therefore pest grass grows in the honeycomb - or maybe it started with a base of full concrete and grass broke through but I don’t think so - but cars kind of park on top on the concrete honeycomb)