Attestation to visit

Hi people, been reading that in future any visitors coming over to visit family will have to fill in an attestation? Any one read anything about this yet, it would appear that you would get the form from the marie, and have to pay for the pleasure.

That’s very interesting @Frankie711. The only information I had read in the past was that they were unsure if this would be necessary but were hopeful it wouldn’t as it wasn’t currently done for a number of countries that were outside of schengen and part of the waiver scheme. But I must admit I haven’t heard anything recently so I’m probably a bit behind. Have you got some sources of what you’ve been reading so we can all get up to date?

Kirsten, i read it on Facebook, posted by an avocat

It is on the Service Public website, which means it is official.

The objectives are multiple:

  • Limit health tourism
  • Limit “extended” family influx
  • Know who is coming into the country and where they are supposed to be staying

Note that you need to apply more than a month in advance, as the mairie has that period in which to accept or refuse the application.

I fear, however, that this will fail to achieve its objectives, as those who would abuse France’s hospitality will continue to do so.

Quite tricky for having friends to stay if you are a 2nd home owner.

Talking of which - I presume that just proof of ownership will be needed when I (eventually) get to return to France.

Could be a belt and braces approach.

As I read it, for anyone with a return ticket and the equivalent of 120€/day in their bank account it is irrelevant.

Does anyone really think customs officers will have time to check this too?

1 Like

Jane, could not agree more, but who knows with what can happen.

Copy of email received by a fellow Brit

Dear Sir/ Madam,

All foreigners when entering France should be in a position to produce to the Immigration officer the following documents:

  1. Motive of stay in France:
  • for tourism: hotel reservation (in the absence of a hotel reservation, the traveller has to prove that he possesses means of living of at least 120€ per day – see point 2, documents from a travel agency ;
  • for a professional visit: letter from the employer, invitation from a French firm or organization ;
  • for a private visit: “attestation d’accueil” delivered by the “mairie” ;
  1. Means of living (cash, traveller’s cheques, valid international credit card…) along with an insurance certificate covering all medical, hospital and funeral expenses, which may be incurred during the entire period of your stay in France, including repatriation costs on medical grounds ;
  2. Guarantees of return: return ticket.

Cordialement/ Regards,

Consulat Général de France à Londres/ French Consulate General, London
21 Cromwell Road

Having just Googled, this article on thelocal from today came up. We all know not to trust these papers necessarily but it does say this

What’s not clear is whether people who are exempt from the requirement for a Schengen visa – which includes Brits, Americans and Canadians who can come to France visa-free for 90 days out of 180 – are also exempt from the requirement for an Attestation d’acceuil, and whether the attestation is therefore only required for visitors from a country where a visa is needed for any visit, even a short one.


We also asked the French consulate in Washington what the situation was for Americans, and they confirmed to us: “The attestation d’accueil is not mandatory for American visitors. However, they may be asked for an address of their accommodation at the border.”

So if Americans are TCNs why is it not mandatory for them? It still sounds like there’s much to be clarified at this point to me.

Yes, some of the time, e.g. when working to rule?
Would I advise any of my family members to chance it? Nope. Given that similar demands have been made of me entering the US in the past, I wouldn’t be surprised.

At €30 a pop could get very expensive some years!!!

I was thinking that too, Tory… I’m just hoping things become a bit clearer soon as, looking at the requirements for the mairie to approve the attestation, I’m not at all sure our house would pass muster :worried:

We live in a half renovated barn!!!

Well the pics you’ve posted on here that I’ve seen look VERY smart!

That is the joy of the camera, you can choose to only capture the good bits :rofl:

1 Like

Hi, I’ve just read online that the French government are not applying the full medical insurance or visa for up to 90 day stay. After 90 days you have to get the long term visa and health insurance etc!
It also states that the new GHIC card will be accepted, although I’m not sure I believe it!
Hopefully I won’t have to find out!
We want to come over to our house and stay for the 90 days with a view to see about moving permanently, hopefully we will be able to do do soon!
Luckily we both have had both vaccinations.
The only thing we are concerned about is if we have to quarantine and we cannot bring meat or dairy into France how are we supposed to live? Our house is in the middle of nowhere with no neighbours!

If you have a negative test then you are allowed out of quarantine for essential shopping only. I have lost the original government text that said that but I seem recall it was for some strange reason only between 10 and 12…

I’ve just read exactly the opposite on the French government website…