Attestation to visit

At €30 a pop could get very expensive some years!!!

I was thinking that too, Tory… I’m just hoping things become a bit clearer soon as, looking at the requirements for the mairie to approve the attestation, I’m not at all sure our house would pass muster :worried:

We live in a half renovated barn!!!

Well the pics you’ve posted on here that I’ve seen look VERY smart!

That is the joy of the camera, you can choose to only capture the good bits :rofl:

1 Like

Hi, I’ve just read online that the French government are not applying the full medical insurance or visa for up to 90 day stay. After 90 days you have to get the long term visa and health insurance etc!
It also states that the new GHIC card will be accepted, although I’m not sure I believe it!
Hopefully I won’t have to find out!
We want to come over to our house and stay for the 90 days with a view to see about moving permanently, hopefully we will be able to do do soon!
Luckily we both have had both vaccinations.
The only thing we are concerned about is if we have to quarantine and we cannot bring meat or dairy into France how are we supposed to live? Our house is in the middle of nowhere with no neighbours!

If you have a negative test then you are allowed out of quarantine for essential shopping only. I have lost the original government text that said that but I seem recall it was for some strange reason only between 10 and 12…

I’ve just read exactly the opposite on the French government website…

British Embassy in Paris held Q&A for Brits in France , on Friday they confirmed that we will need to complete this for UK friends and family as we would for similar visitors from other 3rd countries. My Spanish daughter-in-law doesn’t need to be listed on the form, but my son and grandkids do. The form is fairly simple but we will need to provide proof of ownership of the house and of capacity for visitors (presumably the Taxe d’habitation form which I had to complete after installing a lift), and the visitors will need proof of 30,000€ health insurance and have enough spending money or credit card availability which we have to guarantee if they default. Feel free to read the Q&A (latest and one before in which Embassy buck-passed and got very unpopular) on Facebook, British Embassy in Paris page. If Remain had provided information about importing cars, exchanging driving licences and proving you are fit for family visits, not to mention that the dog would face problems too, and that we can’t bring bacon home with us or joints of beef from Sainsburys, maybe Brexit wouldn’t have happened? I wonder what next week’s bombshell will be?

1 Like

Its been an official requirement for some time I believe - but obviously not applicable to Brits prior to Brexit.

Does anyone know if it was previously enforced much - especially as if one just wishes to travel around all one needs to show at the border is access to sufficient funds, insurance and a return ticket.

I suspect Covid might make the French decide to stick closer to the letter of their border controls as things open up.

Covid might have changed things as haven’t been out of the country for over a year, but before then I would rub shoulders with all sorts of nationalities at Eurostar border control. People who didn’t have european passports (I am very curious so always guess the nationality and try to see if I am right) were obviously asked a few extra questions, but no further bits of paper ever seemed to be demanded.

From what I can tell Brits visiting France will need to justify where they are staying for the length of their stay, so travelling around without having pre-booked is probably not allowed.

Having said that it seems people coming from countries subject to the Schengen 90/180 rule are rarely checked: Brexit France: Do Britons need attestation d’accueil to visit family?

See:
https://france-visas.gouv.fr/web/france-visas/votre-arrivee-en-france

Admittedly the first section on documents suggests that you need a hotel reservation or attestation d’accueil covering your whole stay whereas the section on resources suggests that if you do not have a hotel reservation you have to demonstrate funds at a higher level. So that’s as clear as mud then :slight_smile:

I’d be interested to know whether this is something gite owners have to provide. It’s not needed for hotels.
I had to provide one a few years back when a friend and her daughter with South African passports were planning to stay. Had to go to the mairie and get the paperwork, paid I seem to remember 34 €. Had to provide id card or passport, property deed or rental agreement, recent utility bill, evidence property appropriate for lodging guest (size in m2m, number of rooms) medical insurance cover, who staying and for how long, counter-signed by the maire. This was back in 2012, so may have got simpler. In the end they didn’t come, so no idea about being asked for it or not.

It did take time to sort out, so just coming the France from the UK on a whim to stay with granny/auntie/mummy / whoever not necessarily a good idea these days. Not least, our mairie is not open every day, so trying to get something like this sorted at a moment’s notice wouldn’t work for us.

OH was amused as it was all about whether WE were suitable / bona fide hosts. Nothing much about whether they were SA terrorists!

That is pretty flou. So perhaps you can just rock up, providing you can prove resources. But how does one do that these days? I can understand in the past you could present cash and travellers cheques but now many people use cards. I guess you’d have to provide a credit card statement with the limit on it or a very recent bank statement showing a shed load of cash?

In any case I can see this just one more of the many benefits of Brexit :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

My instinct would be that if they’re staying as paying guests in your gite you would have provided them with some sort of written confirmation of booking, even if that is just an email, and they could use this as their attestation. On the other hand if you were having friends or family over to stay in the gite without them paying then you would need to do this

Good point Tom. We have a booking form they complete. Mmm, just had a thought. We get them to sign our form, but I don’t sign it when I email it to them. I think I now need to. Also, maybe need to let my UK guests know (if ever I have any again) that they should bring a copy with them.

As you say, tricky - in practice I suspect a return ticket and travel insurance are going to be the most important things.

If I lived in France and was inviting friends over to be honest I’d just get the attestation (assuming no resistance from the mairie) it might never be requested by the border guards but it’s one of those “have document which is not requested” = “no problem” but “don’t have document which IS requested” = “BIG problem” situations.

We have had New Zealanders in our gîte, and they just flew in and no mention of needing anything from us…

But don’ see why it should be any different from any other type of commercial hébergement? So the signed contract should do it one hopes? (We sign ours before sending it, and they sign and send it back)

Thanks Jane. Good to know.