Auchan selling 21 stores

I will support who I want to support.

6 Likes

Well, just send a pm to the person you support, there is no need to antagonise me.

Fine with me.

4 Likes

Yes Tim. Coming back to the UK makes me realise how calm and relaxing Sundays were in France. Here it just feels like any other day. I like that France makes Sunday a special day.

I can still go shopping on Sunday morning in supermarkets near here.
The one thing that took us ages to get used to was no shopping on Mondays in the smaller shops.

1 Like

In UK… Sunday meant that Dad could sleep in late… and that, after Sunday Lunch…we could visit a Garden Centre in the afternoon… :face_with_hand_over_mouth::hugs:

Sadly, those days are long gone…

France is slowly following suit in some areas… but in the heart of the countryside (around me)… Sunday is still different… Chasse/Fishing/Football/Basketball/Rugby as appropriate :hugs::hugs:

and in the village… Sundays are often just right for an off-the-cuff boules competition…

3 Likes

Is she antagonising you? Or simply stating her opinion of another poster. I don’t think you were actually mentioned

You are right about that at least :grin:

4 Likes

I find it’s a thing of the past :crazy_face:

3 Likes

This ''Sunday is special’’ mantra just doesn’t wash with me - in my opinion it’s a romanticised view of a world inhabited by a few people who regard it as a ‘norm’. It may very well be their view of the world but it is most certainly not everyone’s.

Millions of people (in the Western world!) work on ‘Sundays’ - medical, transport, hospitality, leisure, media, sport, emergency services - the list goes on…

So who exactly is Sunday so ‘peculiarly’ special for ?? Surely such folks must be in a minority when huge tranches of the globe have Sunday as a ‘normal’ working day…

Surely it’s not all about religious stuff ? Is it…? :roll_eyes:

I can only speak from my own experience. Where I lived in rural Tarn a minority of people worked on Sundays and most people spent the day quietly with family and at leisure.

Now I’m back in the South East of England it seems that Sunday is just another day and you can not only Shop all day you can also get a haircut or your Windows cleaned.

The difference is stark and a little unnerving. Nothing to do with religion.

3 Likes

It’s not about being ‘special’ but it could be a day off for the majority which to a large extent it is here, I do accept that the groups Simon mentioned do have to work but if your job is in one of those sectors then you must expect to have to be available at all times even in France. IMO it will be a sad day if the country becomes like the UK and shops are open 24/7.

1 Like

I appreciate that maybe I have a skewed view of Sunday and 24 hour opening having spent my working life in aviation where neither thing is a big deal, anything but…the ability to shop, eat, drink, play etc, whenever you like, is a huge benefit to workers (and jet-lagged customers!) in that one industry alone. New York, has been a 24 hour city for as long as I can remember - ok, a very specific example but there are many others around the globe.

Tesco in the UK announced profits of over £2billion for the year up to Feb 2019. You’re not telling me that they open some stores for 24 hours if it wasn’t worth their while - in retail it’s all about ‘footfall’. They must be getting that additional footfall / revenue.

Essentially they fill a demand - just like many of the French supermarkets and local shops do every Sunday - car parks, villages and towns full of shoppers. In fact, around these parts, Monday is possibly the quietest day of the week!

I find it hard to equate the ‘keep Sunday special’ mantra with the huge numbers of people who choose to shop, dine out, play sport, etc etc - just like any other day of the week…

Keep Sunday special for who?

I wonder if you are missing the point… in that many of those who choose to dine out and play sport… are relaxing… after a hard week’s work !

Sunday Lunch at a local restaurant… is often family groups of 10 or 20 people of all ages from babes to grandparents … all coming together for a long session…of good food, chatter… and fun. :hugs:

Likewise the sport… phew, the local teams thrash it out between themselves… then enjoy a super celebration/commiseration… They are letting-off steam … this is “time-out” from their working week :hugs:

That makes Sunday special… people being able to step away from the stress of their work/whatever …people coming together … the “rat-race” grinding to a halt… just for one day… :upside_down_face::grin:

3 Likes

The people who ‘serve’ them aren’t though are they? People have different days off - those days are special no matter what day of the week.

So no Stella, I’m not missing the point - I’m making it! :wink:

The family Restaurants around here, open on Sundays if they have sufficient bookings (above a threshold) … otherwise they shut… It is their choice whether to open or not…

They need… and enjoy the break… like everyone else… that is the point I am making… :face_with_hand_over_mouth::wink::grin:

1 Like

A little point here about 24/7 shopping in UK - even the supermarkets can only open 10 ‘til 4 on a Sunday.
So, maybe it is a bit special!

For a group/family to enjoy time together… it must be very difficult… if they all have different days “off”…

and, yes, I know that many families have that difficulty already… but I can see no reason to make it even worse… by removing Sunday as the “usual” day off for the majority… :thinking::upside_down_face:

2 Likes

The problem is that for people who work throughout the week, they cannot go to places like garden centres if they are also closed on a Sunday.

1 Like

Jane… I was talking about UK… in times gone by… the Garden Centre would be the only place open…

I have no idea if our little garden centres are open here on Sundays… although I have seen markets on Sundays… where everything is sold… Sunday is traditionally a day-off from the grind…

My mum used to get mad at people commenting on me being off during the week when they and their families would be enjoying a weekend off. She once asked a friend what her daughter was doing on Saturday night. “Oh “ came the reply “They are meeting up with some friends and having a few drinks and a meal “ My mum pointed out that while her daughter was doing that, I would be spending my Saturday night at work running a hospital ward

2 Likes