Aussies in France 2015 to 2020... and onwards

As well as the camper as ‘French summer home’ option, I understand that mobile homes in caravan parks do not pay ‘rates’ (tax foncieres etc), but you would have site rent. This would have all the usual pro’s and con’s of caravan parks though - primary one for me is the reason I chose to go to France rather than caravan parks in Queensland - bogan avoidance (I have become a real snob about this as I am surrounded by selfish yobs at home).

I think the same might apply to a mobile home on a block of land you own (not in a park). Or maybe it’s one of the taxes you don’t pay, but wonder how it would go down with the locals. Also you might arrive and find it has been pinched!

Pro’s -
Grounds maintenance taken care of.
Communal facilities that might be good for some (pool, dining halls, shops).
Summer holiday frivolity.
Some rent out your property while you’re not using it and/or have timeshare options with other parks.

Con’s -
Probably not exactly serene and quiet (and the thin walls wouldn’t help).
Not ‘ye olde French stone house’ charm.
Security while not there (or might this be better?).

I’ve only been looking at properties with garages as I had thought I’d like a vehicle, and that does limit the properties. Needed the garage to leave the vehicle in over winter.

Another possibility would be a garage-less house and use a vehicle storage place over winter (usually meant for caravans and motorhomes). There are quite a few and I’ve seen costs either by the day (€1.20 outside - 1.50 inside), or per season, which can be anything from €225 to €500 depending where it is in France and in or outside. Some will do battery charging and even servicing.

The company I mentioned in a post above reckon they know how to register a vehicle to a non resident using a ‘Societe Civile’ company (one annoying thing is they require at least two people). They can do it for €1450 (this covers subsequent years).

Hi Ian,

Here is the link for the company in Sydney: http://www.bilateralsolutions.com/team-profile/

Martine was her name. She had a very thick accent and found her difficult to understand. My partner called her and Martine advised that she would get somebody to contact us, but we never heard back. As of now, we are just doing a lot of the research on French taxation ourselves. Problem is we are trying to plan for something that is years away and as you know taxation laws change quite frequently.

Rgds

Phil

Hi Phil

Apologies for not replying, just found your mail while doign a cleanup. Thanks for the link. Yes, Frecnh taxation laws change every year, retrospectively, that is the tax rate for the year is only determined by legislation after the year ends! Very intersting situation … Also, the Frecnh and Australian tax years arte 6 months out of synch, which can cause some diiffculties (or perhaps be exploited to advantage by a knowledgeable advisor).

Ian

Hi, I joined “survivefrance” a few months back now and was really pleased to see that “Aussies in France” was here (Graham Roberts your generosity in the fourm thank you). I am an Australian living in Luxembourg now in my 7th year. I have a obtained my “Carte de Sejour Permanent de Membre De Famille” as I have a husband who is a citizen of the European Union and daughter too. They both have German nationality. I am a somewhat misplaced soul trying to work out which of the 3 official languages (Luxembourgish, German and French) to focus on however I manage bits of all :sweat_smile:. Fortunately for me between my husband and daughter they cover all bases. We are heading to Bergerac this Thursday lunchtime for a 4 day trip. I will have completed my 50th year on Friday so looking forward to one of those amazing French meals. I have booked https://levinquatre.eatbu.com/ the reviews were very good. I have been reading with great enthusiasm all the posts here and now want to begin to add some value. So I’ll share some of what I find when I arrive which I think may well be useful to some of you thinking of or doing the same. It is the next stage of our families goal/adventure to move to France and we are drawn to this region because of the climate (for our horses and our health not too hot) also the expat community that’s about (and the bonus is there are Australians) and I can immerse and focus on one language, French! :grin:. Cheers Kylie

Sorry it was very hot here this summer, this is in Burgundy and I think all of France was the same.
We are short of rain but there were flash floods in Carcassone with fatalities.
The weather is changing all over France.

Hi, back from 4 day trip to Bergerac, Dordogne, Purple Périgueux.
https://www.guide-du-perigord.com/en/tourism/discover/visiting-perigord/the-purple-perigord.html

Flying from Luxembourg to Bordeaux in to the Billie terminal with Easyjet and picking up the rental car from Europcar. All went smoothly.
I had two amazing French gastronomic experiences in Bergerac and we stayed in a gite in the centre of the old town.
Met with a real estate agent (who was far more then that in practise) previously visited by my business partner in July 2018 who was incredibly helpful on a range of topics and a realist about moving to France.

I have been back in Luxembourg now for just over 2 weeks and have been reflecting on living in the area and in France as a whole. We have travelled already to a number of regions and I would say it is about a few things. The feel of an area/place, how it is visually, I think to because you create memories when you visit places this can play into what draws you to one place over another. Also very personal but totally valid when making choices about where to live.

We had a wonderful trip to Poitou Charentes one year. However, I’ll never forget swimming in the Mediterranean when we visited the Var on a 3 week trip. However, while beautiful it was hot during the summer and we know that won’t work for us as we move in to the golden period of our lives. I’d like to spend some time in the Limousin and Burgundy as well.

So in closing I wanted to share I recognise how important having a community around you is regardless of where you live in the world. It can be very supportive in ways you don’t understand until you move countries. In our village in Luxembourg we have that. Our goal with a home in France is to build community with the locals and I think our best experiences in France has been when we interact with the people who live in the village/s you are staying in. Walking your dog for example to collect you baguette and croissant gives way to those opportunities. Until next time Cheers!

Hi Jane, I can see this even in the Region of Lorraine just over the border from Luxembourg. I am keen to take some time to get know Burgundy. Not such a long drive from Luxembourg and I know this is a factor in our decision on where to find a home in France. Enjoy your day!

Hi. There is a ‘nest’ of us here in Huelgoat.
I have investigated tax issues for those of us drawing retirement income from Australian Super.
It can be complicated, or not, depending on many things.
email me perhaps…

Alec

Think you’ll find its the “income” - what you withdraw - not the “gains” - its a pension by any other name

1 Like

Second that Chris. Only other consideration may be for any Wealth Tax (ISF / IFI) implications depending on the value and type of fund as recognised by the fisc.

We had a bad experience with Olaf. He really took advantage of us before we got our feet on the ground in France. We jokingly call him Olaf the Terrible or the Butcher of Montignac. After signing a contract he was uncontactable for almost a year, misfiled our taxes - late and generally got us into a lot of hot water with the tax office. He demanded payment without providing a shred of documentation and threatened legal action. Fortunately a proper French accountant stepped in and sorted it all out. The kicker was that Olaf charged over five times what should have been for the privilege of almost ruining our new business and standing with the tax office. If we did not have established relationships with Government agencies it would have tanked us. You have been warned…

Hello Chuck and welcome to the Forum

Please will you amend your Registration Page to show your full name as per our Terms and Conditions.

If you are not sure how to do this, simply put your full name here and I will amend it for you.

Cheers

Chuck…we have been fortunate with Olaf, but our case is relatively straightforward and no business involved. Having said that the service provided in the last year has been a little disappointing and the tax preparation fee quite high. We will be looking at a possible change for next year.

Hi Graham,

We found a nice accountant which we can recommend but she speaks very little English. We started with google translated emails and now she lets us practice our French with her… She sorted out the mayhem diligently and with respect toward Olaf although she did not approve of his behavior or his fees.

If you would like her contact info send me a PM.

HI Everyone, I’m new here, and for those of you already living in France, i’m jealous, LOL. It has been a dream of mine to live in France since I was a child. Anyway, we are about to make it real in the next year or so. We have already visited Paris 16 years ago, and loved it. And heading over there again Easter next year 2020. Flying in at Nice and driving up to Bordeaux. Whilst there we will be checking out as many towns and villages as we can. We have been diligently researching every aspect and learning the language. The only thing holding us back a the moment is our daughter is doing her Year 12 and VCE next year. She too loves France and like me dreams of living there too. She spent some time in Laval on French exchange last year and loved it. This discussion has been quite helpful and i am sure i will have a few questions soon. The major issue we have is where to live, there are so many lovely places. I am hooked on Dordogne though. Our plan is to semi retire as we are in our early 50’s, possibly purchase something with a Gite or two for some income. So trying to find the perfect location is hard.

Hi Lorraine and welcome to the forum.

Could you please amend your Registration as there seems to be a hiccup.

If your Full Name is Lorraine Warren - I can amend it for your - just say the word… :relaxed:

However, if “Warren” is simply your Username - please to add your surname to the Registration in the section “full name”.

Cheers

Hi Stella yes please change it, thank you :blush:

Hi Graham

Very jealous that you have done what we have been talking about for years! Also wanted to pick your brain if that is OK.

We did a 3 month stay in the Dordogne in 2016 and are going to repeat the dose again this year. We love the area, and would dearly love to make our retirement life there, but the advice I received from the French Consulate here in Perth was that it would be very difficult for us to achieve. Reading through this forum it appears I may have given up a little too easily!

Can you please outline briefly the process you had to follow to allow you to get your first 1 year carte sejour? I believe we would have to travel to Sydney to apply, but if there is a reasonable chance of success I am very happy to make that trip. Were the paperwork requirements particularly onerous?

We are coming over in August for a 3 month stay in Manzac-sur-vern, which is not too far from Perigueux - maybe it would be possible to apply for a 1 year carte sejour while we are there?

Sorry, so many questions, but my enthusiasm has been rekindled reading about all you lucky people already “living the dream”.

Regards
Trevor

Hi Trevor…first thing…don’t always believe the Consulate…they sometimes do not fully understand.

Now first things first…you can come and visit or stay in France (Dordogne or elsewhere) provided that you apply for and receive the appropriate visa to enter France. This unfortunately can now only be done via the French Consulate in Sydney…you can make an appointment online, but you need to be present for the actual appointment to hand over your folio of paperwork. Each applicant has to make a separate application.

Unless you plan on working in France (not easy) you will probably need to apply for a Visa (Visiteur) Long Durée. This visa lasts for 12 months but is then renewable every year. After 5 years in France you are entitled to a permanent residence card.

To apply for the Visa you will need the following :

• Airline tickets
  • Proof of sufficient funds to support yourself for the 12 months (Bank statements…pension records etc)
  • Proof of suitable Private Health cover for 12 months (sometimes they accept Travel Insurance sometimes they don’t)
  • Your original Passport with at least 18 months validity
  • A copy of your Police Record (available thru the Aust Federal Police)
  • Original Birth certificate (full version)

Pleas note sufficient funds to support yourself usually amounts to around €1400 per month

Documents should be translated into French by an accredited translator.

There maybe other documents so check the Consulate website https://au.ambafrance.org/-Consulate-General-in-Sydney-

Once you arrive (if staying long term) you need to register with OFII (French Immigration department) to validate your visa. You generally have 3 months in which to do this, but the sooner the better.

While it takes a reasonable period of time to get all of the paperwork & translations together, the actual process is pretty straight forward…keep your folio in the same order as the Consulate states for documents. They don’t always want to see every document, but if you don’t have it and they ask…you will be rejected. You cannot get into the Consulate without confirmation of your appointment (received and printed on line when you make the appointment.

For a 3 month only stay you will not need a visa only if you wish to extend it. If you intend to come long term then it is wise to have your respective Birth & Marriage certificates “APOSTILLED” by the Dept of Foreign Affairs…this provides an official seal on each document confirming that the document and the signatories are genuine.

After being resident for 3 months (you need proof, such as a french utility bill in your name) you can apply for a Carte Vitale (like a Medicare Card) and once accepted you no longer need the private health insurance. It currently can take the best part of 12 months to obtain the card.

If you are retired and eligible for the Australian Age Pension…get it before you come to France as you cannot apply for it once you are here.

Normal pension income (private super pension or government pension) are taxed here as normal income.

I know that the above is a lot to absorb, but it really is not too hard. We now have 8-10 other Aussies living nearby to us so it is popular and can be easily achieved. When you come over in August drop me a line and hopefully we maybe able to catch up and have a face to face discussion about life here. We will actually be in Australia from late August to mid September, but otherwise OK

Hope this info helps

Graham

2 Likes