Automated Nuisance Calls in France

Frankly Mike that’s twaddle. I know it’s along time since you and I were nervously waiting for our first job interview but put yourself in the shoes of a young agent. If you are really pissed off there are ways to get to the management. In fact the fines associated with unsolicied cold calling are, to the best of my knowledge, high. Taking it out on some poor wretch on the minimum wage isn’t the way to curb these cold calling sharks.

Nuisance calls are really just that, and they seem to be at very inconvenient moments too, like LUNCHTIME or EARLY EVENING when any self respecting gentleman would be having lunch or a gin and tonic or similar. If we want double glazing it's not that difficult to find a suitable firm at an acceptable time. The quaint idea below that somebody doing their job should be exempt from criticism is a little far fetched. One thinks of politicians, bankers etc. As a now retired architect I frequently had to put up with offensive attacks, sometimes of a very personal nature, and however difficult one has to rise above it. Personally I do not like being contacted in my home other than on my terms.

I'm pleased there are some ex pats who feel there is no need to be rude to someone who is doing his/her job. Is it a justifiable right to be rude? What's to be gained from it?

Unfortunately it isn't possible to get at the management.
But anyone taking the job, unless they are completely stupid, must know that abuse comes with the territory. Same thing with traffic wardens.

That's a pity in my opinion, It's not the call agents fault and being rude them is completely pointless.

Thats great Carol :D Good plan!

Agree with most comments, especially asking for nonexistent, even deceased OH. I still get these calls despite being on register and have found they diminish in number if you say you are not the owner…white lies sometimes beneficial?

It is Mike. I don't wish to be invaded by these unwanted calls and I reserve the right to either be rude or polite to them in whichever language I choose !

Right Doreen - It's an invasion of privacy.

I like your comments David - as I said yesterday, I don't usually answer calls and I love the freedom I get from that. Being in control. I agree about the whistle too, that is a bit too nasty. A job is a job, and you cannot always pick and choose. I also did a job similar to this once, many moons ago, but it was horrific and I only lasted a day ! :)

No worries Terry, poor old Morgan are probably calling "collect".

Apart from the fact that you are in France and IMHO it is rude to answer the phone in foreign language.

Couldn't agree more...well said Margaret...we simply ask if they speak English...and as they rarely do...we wish them a good day...say desolee...aurevoir..(sp)...and put the phone down.

No ruffled feathers on either side.

:o)

Sorry John, but the Morgan sales team have not yet called......

I'll put it next to the phone ... just on the off chance !

If I have a problem with my gearbox I’ll be in touch but in the meantime is you wife any good on Morgan electrics?

I think there are two seperate lists, red and somthing else (noir?) that you need to be on to kill these calls. Even then I think it takes time to work through the system and the even then I think some call centres just cycle through numbers until they get a hit. That’s why there’s a pause when you answer the phone as the system connects it’s “hit” with an agent. I don’t think it is fair to blow a whistle at some poor underpaid agent. They are just doing the best job they could manage to find. I’d happily deafen the executive running the operation though :slight_smile:

Personally I like the internet joke I received recently. Upon discovering it is a nuisance call, answer in a whisper "it's done, but there is blood everywhere" then hang up. Make me laugh!

"French lesions" is about right. I certainly get pretty cut up by nuisance calls!

I like your wife's style Terry :)

that's a really important point Rachael, I havn't had many of these and never been tempted to follow the directions either. But hey all.....

NEVER PRESS '1', IF AN AUTOMATED MESSAGE ASKS YOU TO DO IT!

because it will cost you a fortune!