Automated Nuisance Calls in France

What is an answer phone?

LOL.

Just had a cold call from someone selling whistles!

Afraid mpy Urdu and/or Hindi is not good enough for that!

Use an answer phone. We screen all our calls so only pick up what we want. If the caller does not say anything we do not pick up. Simple really, even our friends and relatives know too say something.
We get about 4-5 a day and really easy to set up.
Do not advocate the whistle as you could harm someone’s hearing . And as someone has already said it’s not the callers fault they are only doing their job just like a tax collected or traffic warden.

As Mother used to say - You should be ashamed of yourself mooching around indoors on a lovely day like this. Go out and play!

I move down here in 2008. We started to receive very distrubing phone calls on our first telephone land line. Called the provider and told them about 18 months ago of the problem. Provider said that they would change the telephone number and place us on "liste rouge" (Red LIST)...Three months after the new setup, the calls started to come through. "Aree you Mr. Duffaut"? I fell it for once, twice...but not the third time. At first these calls came once every two weeks, then once a week. They became such a nuissance that I had the fixed line switch to my cell phone. I was able to gather most of the numbers. Please be advised that most of the numbers were from Ile De France, some 09 Internet Livebox numbers,,,but lo and behold...telephone numbers from Morocco and the good ole USA in the state of New York! The day before yesterday, went to the Gendarmerie to make a written complaint. They told us that the have so many complaints that they only take written complaints if you are hasseled with 35 calls per day!

I called the provider, asked for a change of number, and if it starts up again...we will definitely get rid of the land line, and we will have a second cell phone with another provider than the one we currently have...in case of emergencies..

The Gendarmerie told us that if you leave your house unattended, i.e. you travel for an extended period of time, you can ask them to keep an eye on your house.....

Will there be a run on whistles now?

I hope the Chinese have produced enough whistles....great idea....really..as we will now get two whistles.

yes I have had that a few times too - very odd.

Yesterday I called the Medecin de Travail and asked to make a RdV with the doc. I was passed on to the Secretariat. The lady said bonjour and asked for my name so I said "Mr BIRD Peter, BIRD comme Oiseau en anglais" I repeated it. She apologised and said she didn't understand so I replied " B comme Bernard, I comme Ivan, R comme Robert and D comme Denis - BIRD comme Oiseau en anglais" a few moments later she cried out "Ah BIRD comme oiseau ?" ...

Give me strength !!!

Not wet here, it's bootiful !

I was busy using the advice on the "Windows automatic updates not working" thread. Cleaning up this slow puter, seems to have done the trick!

Nah then, Fishwick, Willa, along t'Blagburn Rooad. Used roam all round your area when ah were a trainspotter :)

I wouldn't rely too much on that. It's only a matter of time..........!

(Haven't I got anything better to do on a wet public holiday afternoon, do I hear you ask?)

Family is from Wigan they are in Beech Hill, Orrell, Fingerpost Abram, Ince, Wigan Lane, Newton le W. I went to the tech on Library St in '76/'78, but was from Upholland and went to Upholland Grammar.

Where do you roots lie Ian? You sound like my uncles on my fathers side with yer lanky speyk I'll go t'fut of owr sturs! ;)

Now now, stop that David, we'll all be in trouble again :p

Je suis membre des Jeunesses hitlériennes usually sees hem off if not try Front National

Oh aye, wheerabouts? *interested*

Tha wot? Wheer's that? Dont'a mean Wiggin? Hopeless place :)

I live in Lancaster and the Loire - but originated from around wigan :)

*nods nebber sadly* Aye they Lancaster crowd allus a bit mardy, ey?