Average property prices in France

France has never been the most affordable place to buy property. According to data from overseas property portal TheMoveChannel.com, an average house in France costs £230,388, significantly higher than other popular destinations, such as Spain (£167,668), Greece (£93,781) and Portugal (£117,668).

Instead, the country’s property market has attracted buyers through its lifestyle appeal: it is home to some of the most beautiful coasts and countryside in the world, not to mention its reputation for world-class cuisine and a strong tradition of culture.

Prices have dropped slightly in recent years thanks to the impact of the eurozone crisis. But sales dipped too, as the country’s Capital Gains Tax was increased by the government. Indeed, it is the supporting infrastructure that makes France an attractive destination for many investors: it is a safe haven of wealth as much as a holiday home market.

This year, the government revised its tax regulations once again to make the market more appealing to sellers and buyers alike. It has worked: after temporarily losing popularity, France has returned to the top four countries on TheMoveChannel.com.

Mortgage rates have also fallen to historic lows, making French property more affordable than ever. And yet real estate values may have largely stayed the same: France’s property offers a stable, predictable market. Combined with its lifestyle appeal, it is a desirable place to live - whatever your budget.

TheMoveChannel.com analyses its listings and profiles the average property prices in France:

Cheapest single house - Seine-et-Marne, Ile-de-France (£12,732)

Home to Paris, Ile-de-France may be the wealthiest region in France but away from the cities are rural areas with affordable homes, such as this four bed home in the Seine-et-Marne department. There are cheaper homes in Midi-Pyrenees and Poitou-Charentes, between £8,000 and £11,000, but like many countryside properties, they are in need or extensive restoration.

Cheapest single apartment – Lorraine (£12,732)

Smaller properties in France can be significantly more affordable than the larger estates. This studio flat in Vittel, Lorraine, is located in the town close to the thermal spas that attract tourists: a reminder of France’s strong potential for buy-to-let investment.

Most expensive house – Cannes (£10m)

Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur is one of the most beautiful areas in the world – and Cannes is top of that list. The town on the French Riviera welcomes the rich and famous every year for its film festival, the kind of exclusive event that epitomises the area’s wealthy class. A typical prime home in the area is this 10 bed new build, with 1 hectare of land – and a price tag of £10 million.

Most expensive apartment – Cannes (£21.2 million)

What did we say about Cannes? This prime apartment is in the very heart of the town, right on the Croisette. Boasting a view of the sea and 334 square metres of living space, it is proof that location is as important as size: the four bed flat is smaller than the 10 bed home nearby, but that central location carries a premium, pushing the price up to £21.2 million.

Top three most expensive regions

Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur

Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur is the most popular region on TheMoveCHannel.com. Even with its average apartment price of £580,201, it accounts for 15.65 per cent of French property enquiries, demonstrating its strong appeal to buyers looking for a taste of the French Riviera’s glamorous life.

Île-de-France

Even throughout France’s tax changes and Europe’s financial crisis, Paris has remained one of the most desirable – and expensive – cities in the world. Investors and expats alike find it impossible to resist the capital’s iconic skyline and, with more affordable prices in the outer arrondissements, strong rental potential.

Languedoc-Roussillon

Located next to the Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, Languedoc-Roussillon is home to places such as Montepellier. With its stunning coastlines and more affordable property than the French Riviera (the average 2 bed house price is £317,009 compared to PACA’s £874,408), it is a popular destination for international buyers.

Top three most affordable

Centre

Home to the lovely Loire River and towns such as Bourges, Centre is a place of tradition French culture and natural beauty. With an average 2 bed house price of just £173,015, it is an underappreciated gem for those seeking a French bargain.

Champagne-Ardenne

Who would not want to live in the birthplace of champagne? Rolling green hills and gentle vineyards typify Champagne-Ardenne’s landscape, making it an attractive place for vineyard investors and those seeking a relaxed getaway.

Auvergne

Hills and houses combined to make a dream destination for hikers and mountain climbers, but Auvergne’s old-fashioned villages and medieval communities are the selling point for the area’s property. It is a long way from the glamour of the French Riviera, but with an average 2 bed apartment price of just £98,156, it has undeniable charms of its own.

TheMoveChannel.com analyses its listings and profiles the average property prices in France:

Source TheMoveChannel.com

I find that €15k house in Ile de France very hard to believe! Even at 150 it would be a bargain.

That surprises me, 230k€ versus 282k€ for the UK (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/hi/in_depth/uk_house_prices/html/houses.stm) , I would have thought difference would have been greater.

I work on the cote d'azur as a teacher in an international college/lycee. Buying a house for myself and my two kids was a real challenge on my budget. The most I could afford as a mortgage was 300,000 and for this it is practically impossible to buy a house with three bedrooms. I ended up in a small two bed apartment which broke my budget and I'll be paying off the mortgage until I'm 73!!! Looking at the prices you list above I'm realising what my money could have bought in other parts of france. I used to live in a rather bog standard 3 bed house with a large cellar, and it was 500,000... so this is really what you need just to buy a family home in this region. I'm realising this would buy a small mansion in other regions of france. The annoying thing about living on the cote d'azur is the "rich and famous" prices while most people, including myself, don't have rich and famous incomes. When I'm up in Paris for business trips the prices there are sometimes cheaper than here in summer!