Avoiding falling victim to online scams

Yes I forgot to mention the cheque scams.

Thanks Sheila for adding that.

Great post, James. Can I just add the one I get a lot - email seeking to reserve rooms for a number of "delegates" or "Christian delegates". The wording is usually along the lines of seeking accommodation in your area for a conference, etc., etc., and asking me to reply "tabulating" the costs. They also usually ask if I will take payment by cheque. Most of us know what will happen next - cheque arrives for much more than the amount due, with a request to refund the excess payment.

I cannot re-iterate enough the comment about Western Union.

Hardly anyone in France has even heard of Western Union, so if this is ever, ever mentioned, cease contact with the person immediately.

thanks for the really useful summary of things to look out for

Great advice, thanks

3 Likes

If possible, review any suspicious emails on an iThing as 99% of the exploits spammers/hackers use are written to work on Windows.

As said before, always inspect the email address.

This will be of interest to members who have property interests in the UK

1 Like

Is this a scam, just arrived in my inbox? I don’t know the number and am minded to ignore and delete it.

Nouveau ☏ VÎżcαl du Fixe Orange

Bonjour ,

Vous avez un nouveau sms-vocal d’une durĂ©e de 27 secondes le 02 /05/ 2023 Ă  17:25.

Ce message a été déposé par le 07 76 69 60 57 .

Pour le lire cliquez sur, Ecoute .

Merci de votre confiance et de votre fidélité.

@David_Spardo -
That’s certainly similar to genuine messages from Orange. Does it come from an address that ends in orange.fr? It’s so, it’s likely to be fine. Or you could log onto your Orange email account and check for emails.

I’ve done some digging and that number looks as if it’s associated with someone called The Dog Lady in Dereham in the uk. Here are her details.9

Now that DOES sound genuine!
I’m interested in how you get to hear mobile Orange messages other than 888 from your mobile. Landline messages I can get logging onto Orange but not mobile

Sorry, Angela, I can’t help as I no longer have an Orange mobile.

1 Like

No worries, Brian
 just curious!

Strange, I do not know that woman although I did deliver a dog to a woman in Norfolk some years ago, but she certainly wasn’t running a related business at the time.
It comes from ‘Votre Messagerie Vocale Du Fixe Orange, veronique.martin-lecroq@ac.normandie.fr’
a serv.mms@orange.fr

No other emails and no voice messages either. A mystery. I’ll leave it alone, if it is genuine and important enough no doubt they will get back to me.

1 Like

That’s the principle I work on. Having said that, I’m staggered at the number of people who don’t. The health professionals who contact me insist on using my mobile number even though a) I never heard it if it does ring and b) we have such a poor mobile signal around us that it’s a dreadful means of getting in contact. It doesn’t matter how many times I ask them to use the landline, they don’t

I’ve removed my mobile from my “personal information” with various bodies and also advised them that I need “paper” contact
 not online, not telephone
 but a document I can read, consider/think about
 wave under someone else’s nose if I need to
 :wink:

and a cold-caller gets polite, but short-shift
 write me a letter and down goes the phone
 :wink:

1 Like

The URL goes to https://messagerie-vocale-pro.jouwweb.nl - that would leave me slightly suspicious if it’s supposed to be on an Orange phone. Also spelling “vocal” in odd characters screams “something wrong”.

Leaving it alone seems the wise option.

2 Likes

Exactly my thoughts, it’s gone. :grinning: