I thought I would share a few top tips to avoid falling for online scams.
Things to look out for:
- Poor grammar in English or French
- Person saying they are out of the country temporarily
- Requests for any transaction whatsoever through Western Union / Moneygram
-Unrealistically low price
- Anyone who asks you to do anything that is less than 100 % above board.
- Anyone who sends you a list like this:
- People asking for payment up front for any "expenses" whatsoever.
How to root out a scammer
Always ask for a phone number and speak to the person on the phone about whatever it is you are buying. A legitimate seller will have no problems doing so.
Be careful, some scammers use forwarding numbers with a French dialling code. Look for any starting with 09. Yes, some of these are Freebox/Livebox numbers etc, but can also be forwarded to systems such as Skype.
UK forwarding numbers tend to start with 0700.
It is a cliché, but it cannot be repeated enough.....
If it seems too good to be true, it is a SCAM!