BA 5 infection

We both had our 4th jabs, then slowly drove to Germany 3 days later, with 2 overnight stops. 2 days after we arrived we both had been tested positive, I had passed out twice and been taken to hospital after the second time. I recovered very quickly, probably thanks to the jabs, just needing two infusions of paracetamol for the fever. No other problems, just coughing and weakness. We think we caught it in a hotel breakfast room on the way. The windows were all shut and the old man at the next table was coughing a lot.

Thanks for letting us know. Hope you are now fully recovered. Just shows how careful we all need to be. We need to learn to walk out of places that are not well ventilated and where other people are coughing - forget politeness. :frowning_face:

This article makes serious reading.

…or open the windows ourselves! I considered doing it, but my damn British reticence got the better of me.

1 Like

Next time you’ll know better. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I guess it’s the old Akela-spirit in me… but I stride over and open windows, without a qualm… and/or will (if necessary) speak with Staff and ensure that necessary ventilation is organized…

and only yesterday evening… I gently refused to enter the SdFete to watch the kids. It was crowded (no-one wearing masks either) and I could feel the heat coming out… aaaargh… I stood by the entrance (having unlocked and flung the second door wide open… aah that’s better).

in Germany? They like fug, and would probably complain about draughts the second you opened the window.

Not really… a good german housewife airs the house at least once a day by flinging the windows wide open. Even in winter!
All of them…

2 Likes

Perhaps at home.

I spent a lot of time working in German compaies in London, and some projects working at German offices in Germany of Anglo companies over quite a few years. Terrified of draughts if you even tried to open a window or turn up the aircon.

Given their healthy sporty image I was also surprised at how many people in Germany smoked.

You’re right about Germans hating draughts, but the breakfast room with the windows all closed was in a French hotel we stayed at on the car journey to Germany.

1 Like

Cue fights on the old Nahverkehrszug when someone opened the small top window to let air in on a hot/humid day :rofl:
To be fair, the draughts caused by that were the inevitable reason for my repeated bouts of sinusitis, even in the summer. When the DB reinvested in rolling stock and brought in air conditioning, things started looking up !

2 Likes

There is a difference between draught (bad) - causes all kinds of respiratory proplems and airing (good), which replaces stale air with fresh oxygen laden and much drier air.
Germans have many health related hang ups - never should one sit around in a wet bathing suit or sit on a cold surface - UTI is guaranteed!
Etc.

Good questions :rofl: I think of a draft being an annoying thing you have no power over.

Didn’t know that about the Germans, in Oz we are told not to sit on cold surfaces or we’ll get piles! I love staying in damp swimmers, keeps me cool for much of the evening!

TSS tss piles are what you get if you sit on a radiator, in Scotland.

In France:
Sitting around in wet bathing suit = colique (sore tummy and prob diarrhoea)

Sleeping with window open = death

Allegedly :grin:

1 Like

Goodness me, my free air-conditioning (ie wet swimmers) is going to see me very poorly between my UTI, sore tummy and diarrhoea :rofl:

My mother told us, children. “Don’t sit too close to the fire, you’ll get chilblains”.

Ah yes… if we came in with freezing feet… feels marvellous propping them in front of the fire but is, of course, quite the wrong thing to do…

My well-masked OH waited outside our MT’s waiting room where a couple (mask under nose) were coughing. When they had gone he went back in and opened the window. Had to be done.

2 Likes