Back in merry england

That is ridiculous. I have never paid more than 50% of that cost, booking directly with Brittany Ferries.

If you try DFFS again, book by phone as that way a 20% discount is offered to over-60s.

1 Like

Yes I know, when I was regularly crossing the Channel with the dogs I switched from the Tunnel to Dieppe partly for that reason. I suspect the same thing happens now as both them and Brittany asked for my age.

Do you have a job?

1 Like

Once you’ve entered your French Registration Number you can then select the country of registration as I’ve shown below,

2 Likes

I had a look last year at travelling Portsmouth-Caen and what had been much Moreover reasonable in 2021 had risen to about £600. I don’t see the tunnel as cheap, but ferries have become quite expensive.

Nice car… Can I borrow it some time?

I’m afraid it is just a figment of my imagination…

1 Like

We paid £80 coming over on P & O last week so crossings don’t need to be expensive.

I did wonder :grin:

That price is crazy. I’ve never paid anything remotely even close to that when I used DFFS from Dieppe and the crossing was always great. I think you need to carefully select day and time of travel. I always used an app to check the different routes and operators. The app was aferry

1 Like

“Leader of the free world”
That gave me a good hearty laugh :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:, thanks !
I was about to embark on a tirade of my love/hate, well, more hate than love, relationship with the UK, but you made me laugh out loud, so let’s stick with the positives !

3 Likes

It is more common than you seem to want to admit:
Quand a été utilisé l'article 49.3 ? | CNEWS.

1 Like

Yep, more than 400€ to cross from Belfast to Cairnryan (and back) last week. The Irish Ferries crossing from Cherbourg to Dublin has also gone up a fair bit.

i might have mentioned before, I don’t ‘do’ apps but that high price was Brittany not DFDS, they didn’t even let me get as far as a figure.

In this case I am strictly limited to time and date. Tuesday is the only day I can travel and I must get my driving in France over before 10pm, so my window is 2 hours before midnight.
Anyway with the booking I now have, about a 10 hour drive from here I can start leisurely in the morning and take it easy in time to have a meal in a resto I know near the tunnel in plenty of time for the train, then as soon as I land straight to bed for a few hours then up to Edingley, near Newark where our lunch is to be held.

Then a tour round the old school, it is offices now and the soulless current inhabitants have painted over the wonderful 8’ x 5’ mural I spent a whole term perfecting. :roll_eyes: :slightly_frowning_face:
In the evening, up the street to an Indian restaurant, highly recommended before repairing to the bar below our bedroom.

The following day after an expensive breakfast courtesy of Pete, a 30 km drive to the centre of family habitation for the next couple of days.

Can’t think why I was so hesitant. :thinking: :rofl:

7 Likes

Hope you have a great time, David.

Thank you. :smile:

This may be academic now, but for completeness, DFDS’s Dieppe-Newhaven pricing model is that for visits of up to 5-6 days, the costs are relatively low. I regularly pay about 110-145€ return (for a car), using daytime crossings. Beyond 5-6 days some of the prices for exactly the same crossings seem to triple. I’m intrigued by and grateful for @_Brian 's information that there is a discount for phone booking over 60s and will definitely follow that option up when the great birthday day arrives…

I had no idea that it was dearer for longer stays because when I was delivering or collecting dogs I was often in and out within 24 hours. There was also in those days a routier in the old docks area of Dieppe where I would eat and sleep the night before an early morning sailing, Very convenient and cheap.

An added bonus was one of the ladies in the restaurant at Newhaven, knowing what I did, always treated me as a lorry driver and charged me their discounted price for meals. :grinning:

2 Likes

Your most welcome….I’m glad you got the irony. Most don’t.

Do you remember’Heart to Heart’ ?

I’m like the real version of Max.