Back to the seventies

Pretty much.

Or they will fetishise about “getting the army in”.

A troupe of chimpanzees could make a better job of running the country :rage:

Still got one of those (with its red shade), in the attic. We’ve used it a couple of times here in France, in the early days…
the gadget to trim the wick is in the kitchen drawer…
We have rechargeable lanterns for powercuts nowadays.

After many many years of working in the electricity supply industry, we have huge backlogs of candles, 4 oil lamps of different types and 3 inverters as well as getting a woodburning stove you can (at a pinch) cook on or grill in plus bottled gas powered hob etc etc. :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

Our Taxe Fonciere has increased like it does every year.

So that’s the answer, if 10 year old’s can be trained to drive HGV’S surely the lack of drivers will be resolved :rofl::rofl:
Sorry @David_Spardo, couldn’t resist it !!!

It’s the people, panic buying, who are causing the problem!

Err, I take it that maths was not your strong point then? :wink: :laughing:

Not only the government though, I saw the bloke from the RHA (Road Haulage Association) on yet again earlier. He is trying to talk the government into granting temporary visas to European transport drivers to come to Britain to help out.

What is he on? Why on earth would European drivers with plenty of opportunities over here want to give up and move to Brexit Britain only to be kicked out again when they get over the hump?

Especially in the case of French drivers. He was moaning about the lack of overnight facilities for drivers in the UK. I can almost guarantee that no Frenchman in his right mind would want to give up an excellent network of dedicated routier restos, the vast majority of which serve excellent food and all with good facilities including showers.

If I was 20 years younger there would be no way I’d be tempted back. :rofl:

4 Likes

But you Tax D’hab has gone away :slightly_smiling_face:

There is no driver shortage if the monthly wage increase to a level that people can survive on

2 Likes

It’s very naughty but with all due respect to my many pals who are undeservedly stuck in this mess, my schadenfreude cup for the lying politicians runneth over…

"EG Group, which has 389 petrol stations, is imposing a £30 limit on fuel because of ‘unprecedented customer demand’

It says this will give ensure ‘all our customers have a fair chance to refuel

It asks customers to treat staff with respect during challenging times"

My TdH bill says otherwise and my CFE costs seem to increase every year. It’s all very well Macron proclaiming 80% of households are now better off but he’s just raised other taxes to compensate.

2 Likes

Agree to a point, the unsociable hours and poor rest facilities are also putting people off from being HGV drivers.

Yes, that was winter 78/79. Some people are conflating that with the three day week which was 1974 and caused by the miners strike when Ted Heath was PM.

You should look into that Tim. My Tax D’hab disappeared several years ago, before I would have expected. Maybe because I was widowed, maybe the department or commune I’m in, who knows? But I wasn’t complaining.

Here’s the latest on Taxe d’Hab… (and, of course, everyone has to pay for their TV even if not THab itself)

They are also blaming Covid for not being able to hold the tests for HGV drivers.

When I last read the “rules” they seemed to say that if you get TV via your e.g. Orange package on the internet, you don’t pay the TV licence but you do if you have an aerial. Am I wrong about this? (Not that it applies to me since I don’t have any form of TV but my partner does when he is in his bolthole!)

The should be right. A digital device, laptop, tablet, phone, is not a television receiver. They would not attract a licence fee.

1 Like

They do in the UK though don’t they? It’s the ability to receive live broadcasts that is the determining factor there I think…