Back to the seventies

If there is a TV in the house… you do have to pay… (believe me, I’ve delved into this very thoroughly…)
We use ours to watch dvd and video (yes, we still have a video player…)

A chap knocked on our door… some years ago… and asked why we were not paying for the TV we had recently bought… why had we ticked the box to say NO TV…

I showed him the Delivery Note… which proved that while we had bought a TV from Leclerc in late December… we did NOT have a TV in the house on January 1st and had, therefore, correctly NOT ticked the box… (the TV hadn’t actually arrived until mid January)

Aha… he scrutinized the delivery note, smiled and told us not to forget to “tick the box next year though”…

Nowadays… it’s changed and on the Declaration of Income form…
you have to specifically “tick the box” if you do NOT have a TV…

(Hopefully no-one is mistakenly ticking the box as per the old régime… :roll_eyes:)

EDIT: you only pay for one, though, even if you’ve a TV in another property…

That’s good Stella - thank you! Confirms what I thought. I don’t have any form of TV but my partner has just acquired one so I shall pass on the info…

Back in UK I sucessfully got dispensation of TV Licence for the firm’s TV which was only used for training videos… (no aerial)

Once “the boys” decided it would be useful to be able to watch TV proper (football- useful ??) …
I had to do the right thing (of course).

Here in France: a TV = licence to be paid

Despite what it says about getting it over the internet? I hadn’t realised that it depended on the type of object you view it on :roll_eyes: Still, my partner has only had the TV for a few months but probably needs to pay for last year. If he’s not paying taxe d’habitation on his bolt hole (pathetic level of income!) how does he register the fact that he has a tv? He presumably needs to talk to the tax people. I’m wondering if, even though we don’t have a tv here, because he has one in his bolthole, I should have put that on our last tax return even though I have nothing to do with his bolthole?

Just thinking aloud really, but you know I like to have things “right” :smiley:

No need to stress about this… he’s bought it recently… next year will be absolutely fine…

When you make your Joint Declaration in 2022… simply make sure you do NOT tick the box which talks about TV’s… and they will automatically apply the fee.

keep smiling…

1 Like

Thank you Stella! This year was our first joint declaration - I’m not used to thinking for two… :rofl:

Ah… take it slowly, a step at a time… and no need for any stress.

1 Like

I’m always saying that to other people… :rofl:

1 Like

If you do your joint tax return from the address that has no TV then don’t pay for a license for that address. however for a,n,other property you can pay the TV license separately for that address.

Fair enough @JaneJones

But, where else does one declare a TV these days, if not (automatically) via the Income Declaration???
I’ve not come across that facility, except for non-residents (which I read about years ago and have long since forgotten…)

My question exactly, @stella ! Because the other teeny house classes as a maison secondaire, it doesn’t feature in the normal declaration and my partner just gets a tax fonciaire bill to pay in the autumn :thinking:

As far as I can see… the charge is regardless of…
the number of televisions held
the number of cohabitants
the number of residences (main or secondary)
the owner of the TV

It’s an automatic charge… done through the Household Income Declaration…

One or more of the household owns a TV…

Perhaps it isn’t as easy as that… but it certainly looks like it.

What my partner was reading on the tax site was that, if you have an income of less than a certain threshold, you don’t pay tax d’habitation (which I knew) and that included the tv licence, but he could well have been making an assumption there (difficult to tell with him!) However, next year I shall definitely include it in my declaration and then see what happens :smiley:

I’m sure we’ll all be discussing Tax and TV licences… exonerations…implications etc etc… until the cows come home…

certainly well before the next Declaration… :rofl: :rofl:

Do you think so? Oh dear - what a pity it’s too early for an aperitif :rofl: :rofl:

“It’s never too early… I’m Awake !!!” :rofl: :woozy_face:

to misquote the fabulous Una Stubbs… in one of her roles…

Love it! I think I may adopt it…

@John_Scully …that boat has sailed for the majority in the UK, and the more that people regurgitate the leave/remain argument the crosser Brexit supporters will become saying its all done and dusted and its time to move and make the best it. By laying (incorrectly) all the UK’s problems at the feet of Brexit will only make Johnsons position stronger and people all the more determined to rough it out

I don’t think the brexit boat will ever sail. Feelings and opinions don’t alter underlying realities - and the reality is that the world is in the process of breaking into regional trading blocks, and that these are inevitably going to break down further into more localised relations. This is the inescapable logic of climate/ecological breakdown: either we curtail long-distance transport, of both people and things, or automatic mechanisms (like the costs) will do so anyway. The UK has no place in the world but in Europe.

And I doubt you’re right about opinions either. Remember the young are very strongly pro-EU, and the old are dying. The poll evidence is that opinion is shifting against brexit. Nor was there ever a majority of the whole population in favour of brexit anyway - only just over a third of those eligible to vote.

Incidentally - John didn’t lay all the UK’s problems on brexit - he said quite correctly ‘brexit is amplifying the UK’s challenges’ and that the UK government is studiously avoiding saying this - even though all the trade experts, managers and business organisations are saying it time and again.

@Geof_Cox …sorry can’t agree.
Yes there will always be a rump of remainers…like us and most of SF who can’t or won’t forget but for an increasing number of people in the UK it will diminish as an issue, as more important things for them take precedence in their lives.
The most telling fact is that no politicians of any persuasion , right, left, or center now has a position that Brexit was an error or god forbid should be reversed. They know there are now no votes in it for them
It’s settled at least for a generation so I guess few of us will see the UK back in a political or economic European block in our life time. And the longer that is the position the more momentous the step to rejoin will painted.
I don’t see any popular chorus in the media (Guardian on occasion excepted) saying you were told Brexit would end up like this because most of them know it won’t sell papers, or gain viewers.
Even the most of all pro european the FT now has a stance of we have to move on and make it work.
Sad and erroneous as it was all we can do is accept it and move on, fulminating over it will get us nowhere, just raise the blood pressure!
And I can assure you nobody was and is more European than me