Baguettes and increased prices

Somewhat at opposite end of spectrum to truffles, but our daily baguette has go everything up again.

Here!s why…energy costs hitting hard.

Will continue to support proper boulangeries though as need some open shops in the streets to keep villages alive

3 Likes

I’m all for supporting local boulangeries, but if they’re using wood fired ovens prices shouldn’t have increased so dramatically on account of energy costs. Our man who’s a guru to aspirant artisanal boulangers uses an oven that’s nearly two hundred years old. It may not be the most efficient, but its local wood from the surrounding forests has made bread for many generations of Aveyronais.

He’s got a lovely blog at:-

A baker’s diary – O beyond Bread (wordpress.com)

His name is ‘EricTrouvé’ and I love the resonance of Eric having found his métier

5 Likes

We are having trouble finding good bread just lately.

We find that the local boulangeries can do good baguettes but anything else is not really any good. I make our wholemeal bread.

If you/me/anyone talks with locals/neighbours… it’s generally possible to find who is considered the best local baker… (but we’re all different so it’s still a bit pot luck)
One small town near us has 6 bakeries and each has its clientele… but my nextdoor neighbour has told me the name of the best one… and I guard such info with my life.

and, as has been said… prices will change for bread, cakes etc as for everything else.

Is this HRH Queen Stella now ?

1 Like

daft bat!

I shall edit my post…

Our small village has 3 artisan bakers, all hereditary.

No prices have gone up but I know that the war in Ukraine is putting pressure on wheat so in addition to energy rising I would expect prices to rise.

Possibly not the baguettes but maybe the other pastries. I trust the gouv offers support for baguettes because there are elderly hereabouts and baguettes are something without which they cannot manage.

1 Like

Quite fun

4 Likes

Interesting read.
We have a perfectly preserved bread oven in its dedicated building which formed part of our walled courtyard. The bread paddle was still in the adjacent barn which now suitably cleaned and waxed and takes pride of place in our house.
The bread oven base is some 8 feet in diameter with a beautiful brick dome ceiling wich is covered by a very thick layer of sand all contained within the building which is topped off with a suitable chimney.

3 Likes

Only if you think it appropriate your majesty!

Absolutely not wrong there!

1 Like

The boulangerie 12 km away was excellent and then it changed hands the baking changed.
All loaves were heavier and no longer enjoyable.

The boulangerie in my previous village was like that, people came from miles around to buy their patisserie which was done inhouse by an older employee who then retired and it went downhill so much they were buying in frozen products from the local cash and carry. The bread also suffered from using a cheaper supplier as the lorry passed my house twice per week to the back of the boulangerie and it was from elsewhere and different brand. Seems the owner/boulanger could not keep employees nor find anyone else and the business suffered although its still going but for how much longer I don’t know. I stopped buying their products several years ago as I could not eat a whole baguette which I love as by midday it was either rock hard or floppy so no good to freeze. The youngsters now don’t want to go into such work as apprentices, the hours are too unsociable for them.

The “armpit” bread was more popular where I lived. They are the biggest,longest loaves and mostly crust you could buy and you would see old men tucking them under their armpits to carry home,hence the nickname we gave them and in the summer, many only had a vest on…yuk!

Same problem on farms :pleading_face:

I have the greatest respect for all artisans and am glad that in France that they are respected and paid a living wage :fr:

1 Like

Spot on. The youngsters do not wish to go into the industry,

Our restaurants in France are really not so great…not around here.

Sign of the times and more expensive ingredients plus less people eating out I am afraid. Overheads too like electricity, taxes and social charges also eat into quality products.

1 Like

Yes but it is sad.

Do you use the oven ?

1 Like