Bah Humbug!

"Bah Humbug!"

That exclamation was made famous by Ebenezer Scrooge in Charles Dicken's classic 'A Christmas Carol'. Scrooge was an unhappy, negative and cynical businessman preoccupied with his greedy pursuit of money. He did not want to be bothered with, not participate in or get into the 'spirit' of Christmas. He repudiated all the folderol associated with Christmas.

Have any of you ever been called a 'Scrooge' during the Christmas season? I suspect that an overwhelming majority of us would have to confess to being accused at some time or other - especially we men. It was most certainly wives, girlfriends or partners who played the part of Marley in saying it to us: "Don't be such a Scrooge!" In my case it was my ex-wife who said it to me on the occasion of me suggesting that one year we just forget it and don't bother to celebrate. Has anybody done it recently?

It's Christmas, let's have fun and be honest. Open up all you Scrooges out there and tell us your innermost thoughts about the Bah Humbug! philosophy of life.

I can relate to your post, Maria; I simply lack the energy to meet all the christmas expectations at what is the most hectic time of year workwise for me. People will get electronic Happy 2013 cards now that I have some breathing space! However we have put up a (mediumsized artificail) Christmas tree & crêche, as the symbols are important to us & the girls like decorating! last weekend our church organised a family service in a local lycée amphitheatre with a huge meal after. Then in the afternoon a free concert & presents distributed to the many people who came along as beneficiaries of several associations in the town. They really appreciated it & we enjoyed putting it on.

Not your fault, but wotchit! ;-)

Christmas in ourhouse has always seemed strange to me? An atheist married o a Hindu, who insists on celebrating, with all the trimmings (geddit?). All humbug! The worst part is when she puts the tree up…ever so painful!

Alexander, I am so happy to see the back of 2012. Since 21 February when something happened and I broke the shoulder, I have been prodded, probed, scanned, operated on, diagnosed, rediagnosed and then rediagnosed again by so many medics that I feel like filling my pockets with high explosive next time I go into a hospital for an appointment. But no, the trail is gradually coming to an end and by the end of March that should be over. Stuff 2012. But no humbug intended (except for all medics...)