Barclaycard closing our a/cs on November 16th!

and both of us this morning too…

1 Like

I received it at 10:55 this morning. I guess they were processing them in alphabetical order :slightly_smiling_face:

mine at 10:39 so perhaps in order of seniority :wink:

If it took sixteen minutes to process L though to S then the need an upgrade :slightly_smiling_face:

Too many Muffins in between perhaps :thinking: :grin:

Ok, Happy to accept that it would be confusing to have a new thread on banking etc but it would be helpful to have a more focused discussion on the actual issue of bank accounts being closed. It was an attempt to keep the discussion on that rather than continue the Brexit debate…and I’m certainly NO supporter…but Brexit is now an unfortunate fact! (To most if not all).
So can we focus on bank account closures and what is actually known.
So what is known as to which banks are intending to do what?
Who has actually received closure letters, rather than just "heard " they might be closed and from whom?
Why are banks still thinking about it after four years as “passporting” has no connection to a trade deal.
Are there any workarounds like using a relatives address?
How easy will it be to open a new account with new bank as an expat ?
Would having a joint account with say a sibling or son/daughter who have uk residency be acceptable.
If uk banks close accounts wholesale in January it is going to cause all kinds of problems for any UK national without a meaningfull uk address and who still has sterling income or assets.
Can we try and get the facts as it will help us all navigate through this.

Have you considered writing to the FOS as outlined by @SuePJ further up in the thread? There are even two specimen letters to choose from.
The comments about Revolut are encouraging too. It shows that at least one UK bank is taking a positive step towards maintaining the status quo (and HSBC I think).
Your other questions about the ramifications of «passporting», using relatives addresses and opening new accounts have already been addressed (no pun intended) in this thread so I don’t see the need to reiterate them at this stage.
All this presupposes of course that the banks will close accounts and for which reason. The commerciality surrounding any decision is a more difficult one as it will be almost impossible to challenge with the banks but if issues surrounding «passporting» are resolved (I think they are linked inextricably to a «deal») then there should be little problem in moving to another bank (as outlined in the MoneySavingExpert article here) also posted above.
In essence, I think the decision by @cat to lock the other thread is the correct one as this thread contains much in the way of valuable resource which will be added to as time progresses. The key is for SFers concerned on this issue to set the thread to image to ensure they keep up with events as they occur rather than hope to trawl through side comments with the risk of missing something important.

I received

I received a letter in July from my NatWest bank wanting to update my details as my mobile no is international(non uk) and they insist on a UK registered one.I just hope they will not decide to close european based accounts too.I’ll have to sort that out when I visit my mother next week
Barclaycard would not accept my mothers adress over the phone and will have to sort it out at a branch local to my mother ,however do not have any utility bills or other proof so hoping they will not ask for them
I can live without Barclaycard but would make life very difficult if I lost NatWest(future house sale etc)

I’ve replied in the body of your comment John.

2 Likes

This thread reminds of this thread 90 days out of 180 allowed in France
Particularly the posts telling people that they can’t have their cake and eat it. You’ve chosen to live outside the UK and now the banks have chosen to change one of their operating procedures. It was their choice as it was your choice to leave the UK. Things change.
I like cake.

Nigel your empathy and understanding is touching,
Not everyone will have made that decision themselves,other factors may have come into play,and even if they did make the decision it will have been made with ease of banking one of the considerations

That is what I meant on my earlier post about sticking to the thread…what you say is not relevant to the question of our options.
Sue Jarvis makes the same point

Thanks Eddie I’m erm… touched. As I say things change, just as Brexit will change other things as discussed in the thread I linked to. Not much empathy and understanding on that thread.

1 Like

If you’re trying to draw an analogy between the ‘cake-ism’ of brexiters and the resentment people express here at losing their UK bank accounts, Nigel, that analogy is patently false for most.

Bexiters chose to give up the benefits of being in the EU, then complain about losing them; most contributors to this forum are remainers, so are in the entirely different position of having their cake taken away against their choice!

4 Likes

Geof, those that expressed their concern about the number of days they potentially will be able to spend in Europe as of the 1st of January didn’t choose to give up the benefits of being in the EU, they too had their cake taken away against their choice.

@Nigel1 particularly as you flagged the 90 days thread perhaps you would co-operate and continue your discussion about that issue there as that thread is still live :thinking:

I have UK and French HSBC accounts (and frankly I find them excellent, unlike Soc Gen who seemed to think customers were just an inconvenience. Lesson learned, never bank with a bank where even the junior staff wear designer labels because you are the one paying for them)

My HSBC France advisor has informed me that Brexit, end of passporting, whatever will not impact my holding a UK HSBC account (no surprise as obviously they have a French banking license). But that might change as HSBC are trying to divest their French operations to focus more on the Far East.

I think all EU banks are government guaranteed up to €100k and you can have many accounts with different banks as you like :slightly_smiling_face:

Not sure this is correct.
We are currently with Barclays and although we have had the letter regarding our Barclaycard account as yet we have not received similar advice from Barclays, which I hope never comes.
Our son is employed by HSBC and his advise today was to open an on line UK account.
I have now completed the online proceedure for a joint account which allows anyone living in the EU and beyond to apply for. Approval in principal has been given subject to providing identity documents by post. These documents are now winging their way to HSBC in the UK and if accepted we will get an email confirming the account is open.
This is a basic current account without overdraft facilities but if our current bank closes our accounts we will certainly manage with a single joint current account with HSBC, we shall see.

2 Likes