Barclaycard closing our a/cs on November 16th!

Is it certain that Lloyds is closing all accounts for French customers… ???

@Stella The reportage has been confusing. Some articles claim it is Lloyds business customers’ accounts which are being closed. I think we need first-hand information from anyone here with a Lloyds retail a/c living in France.

We have Lloyds retail accounts (with French address) and have received no notifications/warnings/even hints of any changes.
My business accounts are ‘c/o the accountants’ in UK so no issues there.

@RayR Thanks Ray for the confirmation. Looks like they are closing accounts in some European countries - this article in The Local talks about it. Looks now like customers in France are not on the list.

https://www.thelocal.com/20200920/brits-in-eu-risk-losing-uk-bank-accounts-within-week

Most people don’t even know how, and when you do try and explain, they roll their eyes at you (speaking from personal experience) :wink:

Have you had any communication from HSBC?
I have a dormant account with them but normally use Barclays.
We do have a uk address but are no way uk residents. I’m loathed to ask as I understand its residency that really is the determinant and they might realise this if I put my head over the parapet.

@strudball Hi John, no I haven’t and don’t expect to as they have implied in the media that they are continuing to provide a service in France. What they are doing however is identifying dormant accounts and “tidying those up” and closing them. They’ve come in for some flack from the regulators for this. So you might just want to use it occasionally, in case you find you lose it.

Has anybody got more news on bank account closures.
This months Connexion on page 7 “Brexit threat to reader’s life insurance security” outlines the stance of various banks including Barclays indicating they will stop services unless a wide ranging agreement is forthcoming ( in the next 6 weeks!!!). Then it says you can open a basic account.
HOWEVER a friend, with NO UK address, had a problem with using his Barclays debit cardlast week due to expiry and Barclays apologised and have sent him a replacement. Seems still unclear, so we have suspended sale of our small UK apartment until it is clearer…but I want the cash to spend on our permanent house here…so anybody got an update.?

I received a reminder email yesterday from Barclaycard to say that unless I provided a UK address by 6th November no further transactions could be made and the account would close on 16th November.
If UK address has already been provided then account will continue as normal.
I have provided a UK address ( dont ask how!) So will see what happens.

1 Like

interesting that Barclaycard are doing this but not the bank, although in the same group they are legally and financially separate.
Do you have a Barclays account.?

and did you have to give evidence of your “legal” or practical connection to this address. O2 were very suspicious when I asked if it would be acceptable to change payee from my uk bank account to my daughters …asked this to see if I would have a problem if Barclays close mine once we sell our UK apartment.

Yes, also have a Barclays account. My Barclays online statement includes Barclaycard balance so remains to be seen if a person or machine spots that there are 2 addresses on my account.
After the initial rage when told Barclaycard were closing non UK accounts have now spoken with my french bank who can offer the equivalent albeit with a charge unlike no fee Barclaycard however it comes with travel insurance which I have previously paid for separately and my banks credit card they are offering has an annual fee less than my current travel insurance so up yours Barclaycard.
As for Barclays I have already started the process of opening a joint account with another UK bank who will be offering UK banking services to non residents post 31st December 2020. As someone posted elsewhere on SF Brexit, the gift that keeps on giving.

Friend of ours with no UK address had a problem with his Barclays DEBIT card last week, phoned them and they are sending a replacement this week.
What bank have you found to open an account with?

Good news from First Direct. OH has account with them and he’s received an email confirming that provided he uses his account at least once a year, he can continue to use it and be based in France. That is a weight off our minds.

Yes First Direct confirmed this to me yesterday but unfortunately an account can only be opened when a person is physically in the uk…and they will want proof when it is being opened…so no good for me.
Today my Barclays manager (not just a call center) confirmed that are in the process of writing to all none uk domiciled customers (starting with Italy and Estonia which is why not yet reached France) informing of account closure. Supplying UK address is not sufficient as they are now only providing accounts to Uk RESIDENTS so an accommodation address is not acceptable as it is about banking licences. if they learn an account holder is an expat even with a UK address the account will be closed. All from the horses mouth!

@strudball Sorry John to hear you’re having difficulties. Good luck with sorting something out.

I bank with First Direct, have to say they are brilliant, much better than the bank that spawned them. Friggin HSBC.

2 Likes

I’m going to need more than luck…some suggestions of what options there are would be helpful. Problem is you can’t open an account in the uk when in France. The online dont offer the range of services like conventional ones.

I’m with Barclays, many years ago before we came to France, I contacted them to tell them where we were moving to. They strongly suggested that , if possible, we use a UK address (relatives), which we’ve always done. Hopefully we might get away with it :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

Not quite…it was Midland Bank that founded it…about the last success they had before they were bailed out by HSBC as a result of their disastrous foray into north America courtesy of Crocker National Bank in mid 90’s