BBC Internet Radio Gone

I have a computer to access the BBC online and this morning the BBC SOUNDS for Radio 2 was gone. Actually my main audio source of entertainment is an Internet radio which has served me well for over 10 years. Early morning Radio 4 and then later in the day Radio 2. I know that these stations will be less accessible quite soon if the messages they are putting are to be believed.

That sounds strange, was the actual button gone?

We use a Sonos system throughout the house.

We can access the BBC via the Sonos app or Tunein.

Not heard any messages yet, but is this likely to affext us ?

Sorry but am a bit of a technophobe.

Thanks

I have computer access to BBC Sounds for Radio 2 - see screen shotā€¦today Thursday this morning.

Moi aussi along with France Radio Baroque and Culture channels - all on our wonderful Roberts radios.

1 Like

I listen to BBC radio stations on my internet radio - not on a computer or other device. Each station has been saved individually as a preset - there is no option to saveā€™ BBC Soundsā€™. The internet radio just gives access to the individual stations, eg Radio 2, Radio 3, Radio 4 etc. I too have been getting an occasional message that this is likely to change in the near future. This happened a few years ago when the BBC changed something and my former internet radio couldnā€™t receive any BBC stations except the World Service. Eventually I had to buy another, more modern internet radio to get them again. I certainly hope that this is will not be necessary again in the future, or that it will be impossible to get the BBC stations at all. I like the convenience of just being able to select a station with my remote control without having to go to a device, find the station I want and click on it. In fact I can scroll through stations with a single button to find something I want to listen to. This is very useful during bouts of insomnia at night when I can do this without needing to turn on the light or move from my bed. This is the beauty of internet radios. I will be very upset if I cannot receive BBC stations any more.

2 Likes

Sure, but that is on a computer, not on an internet radio. It is about receiving BBC stations on internet radios that the BBC is currently broadcasting a message saying that this might be difficult or impossible in the near future.

Thatā€™s what worries me too. Iā€™d feel like an orphan not being able to receive BBC radio. Iā€™m having no problems at the moment with my Robertā€™s internet radio, except hearing that talking voice now and again.

My fallback, if internet radio will no longer be accessible, is my TV via satellite, on which I can pick up so many radio programmes, including the BBC. And the computer if rain blocks the satellite signal.

Just discovered that I can receive Radio 4 on my smartphone!

Itā€™s an internet radio, which is neither.

My daughter is subscribing to EXPAT TV for me for xmas. My son installed it yesterday for a free 14 day trial to see if I liked it. It has all the channels I used to get via the freesat box before my LNB rusted away and I did not replace it as was moving. It comes via my Free WIFI box and I have an android TV which is a few years old now but no problems. I very much enjoyed watching Judge John Deed again but will not be watching all the current UK soaps as have not watched them for several years now, I actually prefer the current french ones. It has all the BBC channels and ITV channels that you can get and some old faves like Dave and Nat Geo. Forgot to say I think it will cost ā‚¬9/month subscription.

Philip49 - Finally someone on my wavelength no pun intended. I currently use an internet radio purchased from Lidl many years ago. It works very well so I see no reason to replace it. Last week Radio 2 was totally gone for a good half hour. Then by magic it returned. As I hinted I have a plan ā€˜Bā€™ in the works and it does require the use of the Freesat which does transmit many of the UK radio channels. BBC radio are the ones I am interested in.
My Humax - Freesat box is located in a different place to the Internet radio (kitchen) were most of our listening is done during the day. The plan is quite elequent if it works. I have just ordered 2 Bluetooth transceivers which input/output from the audio feed on the Humax and the internet radio. So I intend to feed the radio using the Bluetooth transceivers from the Humax Freesat. I should have all the components next week so I will let you know if it works. I have a feeling that the BBC will end being restricted on the internet (computer) when it detects a foreign (French i.p. so I am going down this route in case this happens. Otherwise I could feed the internet radio with a Bluetooth signal from the computer.

Internet radios are probably going the way of VHS - phones and apps are where the markets going - that and Alexa/Siri. Internet radios are a very niche market now - god even MP3 players have become a niche market so itā€™s how things go.

3 Likes

I would have thought internet radios were set to take over from radios that only use FM and DAB. We only ever listen to internet channels whether they be Auntie Beeb or more exotic. FM reception is poor in the house and DAB is compromised by poor bit rate.

I have still never managed to get a DAB radio to work in France

France uses DAB+ which sends an aac signal, the UK uses DAB which is mp2 so most UK DAB boxes cannot receive the DAB+ signals. I have a couple of DAB boxes unusable here so am taking them to uk for charity shop.

We just listen via our Alexa thingy. Never a problem.

Update - Bluetooth Tx/Rx modules from the Humax sat receiver audio output (Scart) to internet radio audio input works well. So I am now ready when the BBC signal goes mid 2023. Just have to hope that the Freesat signal does not follow a similar routeā€¦

Thereā€™s no reason it should. The article posted previously y @chrisell says all you need to know, but hereā€™s the relevant text anywayā€¦

The BBC uses several streaming technologies to deliver BBC Sounds. If you are hearing a message informing of this change, you are listening using Shoutcast. The BBC will stop supporting Shoutcast by mid-2023.

Why are we making these changes?

Shoutcast is an older streaming technology and many connected radio devices in the UK no longer use it. Ending support for Shoutcast will enable us to focus on the two most popular technologies currently used ā€“ HLS and DASH. As well as delivering better value, it will allow us to understand more on how our content is consumed. This forms part of our strategy for BBC Sounds and is important to help us improve the services we offer to our listeners.

We informed manufacturers and other service providers of this change in May 2022."

OH just written to the DG of the BBC. Heā€™s really fed up that he wonā€™t be able to use his high quality Roberts internet radios to access BBC radio 3/4/4extra from mid-2023. Heā€™s not a happy bunny.

they donā€™t like it up 'em Mr Mainwaringā€¦ :rofl:

1 Like