Be careful if you go to Marseille

And especially if you wear sandals.

That’s probably the least of the dangers of visiting Marseille!

Nevertheless, I love it-despite having no desire to live there…

1 Like

I can’t even imagine being bitten by a spider, let alone having eggs laid in my toe. It’s important to always be cautious and aware of our surroundings, especially when we’re in unfamiliar places. :grimacing:

There are ordinary garden spiders here that bite, I know because I got bitten years ago and had no idea what it was until the doctor told me I was one of several victims locally he had seen recently. I used to do a lot of gardening, grass cutting at home in shoes without socks and that was where I was bitten on the ankle, blew up huge and went blue/black overnight. I also got a tick from cutting my lawns, on the shin.

As a small boy, aged 5 or 6, I would collect interesting looking insects in the garden. That was when I first learned some types of spider in the UK are happy to bite.

1 Like

It’s quite common but people often blame a nasty bite on another insect. Ordinary spider bites can be horrid.

3 Likes

Spider bites are an occupational hazard when your renovating old properties, I have had quite a few in the last few years, two that have been really painful
I checked a couple of weeks ago on one I had on my finger with the pharmacist and he showed me one he had on his arm :yum:
We don’t get them in the house, but where animals have been kept, barn, stables you get quite a few there.

2 Likes

Good grief…
In future I’ll treat our house spiders with greater respect… wearing full armour in their presence :wink: :wink:

I’m not daft enough to go unprepared into long grass/weedy areas… not anymore… :wink: :roll_eyes:
Wellington boots are ideal to repel boarders :+1:

1 Like

Right until they crawl over the top and into the wellies :face_with_peeking_eye::yum::laughing:

4 Likes

Mine are very tall wellies… and I’ve not found anything actually attaching itself to them, let alone trying to clamber up… perhaps it’s the smell of old-rubber which the insects dislike… who knows… :wink:
I feel a bit of a twit struggling along in them… but they really do work.

:yum::wink::grin:

shopping
download

3 Likes

We have been lucky enough to go trekking through jungle in Thailand, and in one area we had to wear long ‘oversocks’ that tied above the bottom of our trousers. The leeches there were very quick and agile, and would otherwise rapidly climb up inside a trouser leg to feed higher up.

:flushed::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: