Be safe in the woods when mushrooming

Watch out for Chasse Signage and avoid those areas.

Tell someone where you are going; take water and something to eat; take a charged mobile phone; take a whistle and a fluorescent jacket.
Do Not go in bad weather or late in the day.
Better not to go alone… :smiley:

Même si ces quelques conseil vous paraissent enfantins voire inutiles, lisez-les et surtout appliquez-les :

• Évitez de partir en fin de journée et par mauvais temps,
  • Emportez un téléphone portable chargé,
  • Prévoyez un peu d’eau et de nourriture dans votre panier à champignons,
  • Munissez-vous d’un sifflet et d’une chasuble fluo,
  • Prévenez un proche de votre lieu de recherche, à défaut de partir à 2.
1 Like

Rather a lot of mushrooms in the garden this year - unfortunately, although mycology is not my strong point, I think rather a lot are Amanita phalloides - so most definitely not good for the health.

1 Like

Don’t assume you can go shrooming willy nilly. Here are the regs. Advice on where you can pick,how much etc for forests both private and not.

https://www.foretpriveefrancaise.com/n/cueillette-des-champignons-que-dit-la-loi/n:583

My main way to relax and add to the larder is mushroom picking. Moving from Scotland (mushroom heaven) to Lot & Garonne. Thanks for the advice - but now my question
where can I find out who owns what so I can get permission, will the Mairie be able to help?

All communes have a detailed “cadastre” showing all the parcels of land an their ownership. So you perhaps could do a little prospecting and then ask who owns this wood here or this wood there.

2 Likes

Thank you - shall start exploring once we have settled. Is it still possible to take mushrooms to the pharmacy for identification? I am pretty good at avoiding the ‘major’ killers, but a little help would be appreciated.

You should be careful to wear gloves when handling anything you don’t know about (sorry, if you already know this)… and, yes, the Pharmacy can identify items. They often have a Poster showing what is what… at certain times of the year.

Your neighbours will be able to help too… a good way to make friends…