Beautiful French Villages

here are some lovely places… if I can find similar links to other parts of France, I’ll post 'em.

3 Likes

I’ve been to four so far. It should’ve been five, as we had planned to stop off in Talmont-sur-Gironde recently… However I said we didn’t have time if we wanted to catch the ferry from Royan to Le Verdon. My missus was not impressed therefore when we arrived at an empty port and I realised I’d got the time of the crossing wrong (the ferry was just leaving Le Verdon not Royan :person_facepalming:)

1 Like

Last year we stayed in Brouage for 3 weeks, which was lovely as was so quiet morning and evening. And visited places like Talmont-sur-Girone and Mornac -sur-Seure which were also lovely but so full of tourists (like us😂) and it was October! I hate to think what they are like in Summer.

This is all the official plus beau villages

2 Likes

Ah, they’ve included Gourdon… I used to live not far from there many, many years ago now. Such a beautiful area… And just a stone’s throw from the lovely Confiserie Florian sweet ‘factory’ at Le Pont du Loup :heart_eyes:

1 Like

what a fabulous link… cheers Jane… !!!

We spent a lovely holiday in Gourdon many years before moving to France… great memories.

1 Like

For those who want even more information…
Actualités - 2022

So many lovely places on the Plus Belles Villages list, many of 2hich I’ve been lucky enough to visit. Some local places not on the list, Lisle sur Tarn , Realmont, Villefranche de Rouergue, Villeneuve d’Aveyron.
Bigger towns which are also nice include Troyes, Albi, Montauban , St Emilion and Hyeres

3 Likes

Yes, this is a lovely place… and the cobbled streets were made using stones that were brought over as ballast on boats from the UK.

I avoid going in the summer though due to the sheer number of tourists (the vines look nicer in autumn anyway!)

1 Like

Interesting. I’ve only been to 2 of those: Saint Jean Pied de Port in the early 90’s and, thanks to Wozza here, Vezelay this year where he lives.

1 Like

Lovely place… our car club toured for a few days. We treated ourselves to some traditional Basque berets and OH found an amazingly warm scarf… all hand made and excellent value.

Mind you, for the length of our visit I was convinced it was “pied de porc” :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

It was not so much fun walking around St Emilion in the rain today showing a property to some clients! Winter has arrived!

The second time was just after my father died and we took my mother away on holiday with us. She painted a picture of the place, which we still have hanging in our house.

2 Likes

Didn’t know that. My son lives in the next village.
St Emilion is nice to visit but out of season or spring and early autumn are much nicer times to visit imo.

1 Like

Hi Stella. Thanks for the link. I’m amazed that I’ve been to lots of these places ! Just not those in Charente, Charente-Maritime and Haute-Vienne. In particular I love all of the bastides.

2 Likes

Didn’t realise Eus was on the list - someone said it is the sunniest village in France.

How do villages make it onto the list? I understand a fee is charged…

I much appreciate the links so thank you @Stella and @JaneJones

Unfortunately, none of them are anywhere near us! Do they have to be in the south to be beautiful? Of course, thinking about it, the Brits and Americans destroyed most of the lovely places around here in 1944 so it’s only to be expected really :frowning:

That puts a dampener on it, doesn’t it? Not my intention but it’s a cold, gey, grim and wet day here :roll_eyes:

1 Like

That’s quite true Angela, most of your area was built after WW2 so it’s understandable most of the history has been demolished.
C’est la vie.

I had a quick count this afternoon, I’ve visited about 18-20.
We had a seminar in St Emillon last year, nice restaurants and the wines aren’t bad either :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.
If you have a few hours to spare go to the Office de tourism and book a guided tour of the town and surrounding region we stopped off for lunch at Chateau St Christophe. Beware though as St Emillon is on a hill and getting up the hill can be quite rude after an enjoyable meal.

1 Like

I have a friend who lived in area for a good few years while pregnant / young kids. Their son got cancer ( leukaemia) as it turns out a much higher proportion than the norm do. The lovely home in the vines with all the pesticides not great apparently!!! They now live just near us !