Becoming a physiotherapist in France

Hi! My husband and I will be living in Paris for the next few years - he is attending a school there for the next few years and I will be joining him in a few months. I am a licensed physiotherapist in the United States and am trying to become licensed in Paris, but the process has been a bit overwhelming and I would greatly appreciate any tips! Here is the list of items that I was told I need to have completed:

*** Application form for registration in the Rollo**
I was given a form to submit, so this part should be covered.

• Photocopy of a valid identity document or birth certificate less than three months old or certificate of nationality.
    Does anyone know what the “less than three months old” portion refers to? I’m planning on providing my American social security card and birth certificate

• An identity photograph

*** A photocopy of the title issued by the Member State of the European Union.**
I am still trying to figure out how to obtain this title

*** Photocopy of the exercise authorization issued by the Regional Directorate of Youth, Sports and Social Cohesion (or by the Ministry of Health if it is prior to June 2010).**
I am still trying to figure out how to obtain this

• For nationals of a non-French speaking State, a certificate of passing the French knowledge test (TCF Test) of a level at least equal to B2. The test can be taken in France or in any country (contact details of TCF-approved testing centers).
    Any tips on where/how to schedule the exam?

• If you are of a nationality other than French, an extract of criminal records (or equivalent) from your country of origin and, where applicable, of origin, less than three months old. – Authorization to request criminal records completed and signed.

• Photocopy of the professional civil liability insurance certificate valid for the current year (only for masseuses-physiotherapists in liberal or mixed activity).

• Copy of the professional contract(s) (examples: employment contract, replacement contract, assistant-collaborator contract, leases, association contract, statutes of SCM, SCP or SEL).

Other than the items on this list, I am very appreciative of any and all advise about this process!

Hello.
Our birth certificates have stuff added to them throughout our lives, so a recent copy is always asked for. If your birth certificate remains the same forever like a UK one, then this doesn’t apply to you, but it’ll confuse French admin. Use your passport!

What is this referring to? Diploma equivalency or something like that? All qualifications gained elsewhere have to be checked to see how they correspond to ours.

Alliance française is probably your best bet. Go where and when it is convenient for you. What is your French like?

Actually seeing all the fairly technical questions you have your very best bet is probably an appointment at your nearest French consulate and get them to walk you through it.

2 Likes

*** A photocopy of the title issued by the Member State of the European Union.**
I am still trying to figure out how to obtain this title

*** Photocopy of the exercise authorization issued by the Regional Directorate of Youth, Sports and Social Cohesion (or by the Ministry of Health if it is prior to June 2010).**
I am still trying to figure out how to obtain this

Your qualifications are not recognised here and they are presumably not european so you won’t have a “title issued by the Member State of the European Union” So you have to go through a process to get your qualification recognised and then get permission to practice. Otherwise all you can do is beauty massages.

Vous devez obtenir le diplôme permettant l’exercice de la profession en France. Pour cela des dispenses de scolarité peuvent être accordées. Vous pouvez obtenir des informations auprès de la [**Direction Régionale de l’économie, de l’emploi, du travail et des solidarités (DREETS)

Pour avoir le droit de pratiquer la kinésithérapie en France, les titulaires d’un diplôme étranger doivent préalablement demander une autorisation d’exercer la profession de kinésithérapeute en France.

La demande d’autorisation d’exercice et la demande de reconnaissance du diplôme sont deux procédures distinctes. Il est recommandé de commencer par la procédure de reconnaissance du diplôme étranger sans quoi la demande d’autorisation n’a aucune chance d’aboutir.

Hi Vero,

Thank you so much for your response. To answer your questions:

• Our birth certificates remain unchanged so I agree, my passport should be the best option for this.

• To be honest, I’m still trying to figure out what that requirement means (“A photocopy of the title issues by the Member State of the European Union”)

• Thank you for the recommendation for Alliance française. I am currently fluent in Spanish which has been very helpful in learning French, but I am committed to learning as much as possible in the next 5-6 months to prepare for the exam. The exam seems to be only medical fluency and probably basic conversation, so I’m hoping I will be okay. To learn, I’m using Duolingo, Rosetta Stone, am receiving private tutoring, am listening to a conversational recording regularly, will be taking a group class, and am watching TV shows, so basically everything possible :joy:

• I will be visiting Paris in December, so perhaps I can try to make an appointment at the French Consulate during that time. Thanks for the advice!

Jane,

Thank you for your response - I do understand that my qualifications are not recognized in France as of yet, I’m just struggling to find the actual forms and locations of where to go to obtain these qualifications. It’s definitely a challenge navigating foreign governmental websites while also learning the language!

Start with DREET or Enic-Naric.

Informer sur les professions réglementées : une mission clé du centre ENIC-NARIC France | France Education international.

Orthis

Be warned it can be quite difficult to achieve,

Consulates are only abroad, there are 10 French consulates in the US.

Got it, that makes sense.

Thanks!

Molly